4870...Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by methylbenzoate, Jun 23, 2008.

1. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    Should I get (1) 4870, to replace my current 3870, or just get the Rampage Formula and another 3870 (to have (2)), since they are so cheap right now?

Any input and/or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I would always prefer a single unit over two. First of all, SLI / xFire capabilities doesn't apply in all programs / games. Also, two units will consume more power and thus dissipate more heat.

Well, that's how I look at it. But there's also the fact that getting another 3870 will cost half the quid of getting a single 4870... So if you have good airflow, and a good power supply, you could just go with what's cheapest without a worry...

3. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Get 4870... Its/will be much better card... probably better peformance then 2 3870s coz nither crossfire nor sli delivers 100% impruvement .

4. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    I've been leaning more toward the ATI side lately, as I built a Rampage Formula-based system for a friend, and am jealous.

I've had many problems with my nvidia-based rig. For starters, my Striker Extreme died (BSOD, etc.) so I replaced it with an eVGA 780i motherboard. My other machine is now stable, but I don't like the fact that the latest ForceWare drivers always seem to fail me - I've had one or two BSOD and have had to reinstall them several times. After having no luck with reinstalling ForceWare several times, I downloaded the 175.70 ForceWare from this site and I have had no problems since.

Anyway, to get back to the matter at hand, will (1) 4870 beat (2) 3870s?

5. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    Most likely it will be...

Sometimes yes
    sometimes no

When crossfire doesnt scale well or will not enable at all, the 4870 will win, otherwise the 3870 crossfire will be a little faster. (maybe)

6. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Get single 4870 and sell your 3870.

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I'd go single too, likely will use less power and should be able to match a pair of 3870's but if it doesnt match the pair then you've still got a hell of a card IMO.

Well they should considering the crossfire scaling.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    Or keep them both, and buy a Rampage formula, as another website verified, the 48xx series will crossfirex link with 38xx series.

9. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

No they wont :(

10. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    At high res with AA i'll bet my left leg that a single 4870 would whoop 2 3870's, they just dont get along with AA.

11. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    Upated: they changed it since i reviewed it yesterday, apparently they were unable to duplicate it. Sorry for that.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008