4870 CrossFire problem!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xkurisu, Apr 25, 2011.

1. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    [solved] 4870 CrossFire problem!

Hi,
    Before going into detail about the problem, this is my rig:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
    Memory: 4GB OCZ
    GPU: 2 Sapphire HD4870's running in crossfire (this is not a single 4870 x2)
    PSU: Corsair 850W

*Nothing is overclocked, all has been reset at stock clocks after CPU+memory OC was thought to cause problems*

So, the problem is that when playing certain games my screen freezes, artifacts and sometimes my whole rig crashes and i get the dreaded BSOD.
    It's been going on for about a year, RMA'd one of the cards since 1 was actually defective, the replacement had upped cooling on it so all was well.
    Playing Bad Company 2, or L4D I get the artifacting where my screen looks like its shattering.
    Thought cooling on the second card was a problem, upped it to the Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Mod. It lowered temps by 15 C at idle and 10 at load.
    Both cards run within about 5-6 degrees of each other at load and 2-3 at load.

Thought the second card may also be botched so I took it out. On 1 card I can run both games + others without problems for over 4 hrs.
    Tried the second card, I can run the games over 2-3 hours (didn't have time to test more). The cards seem to only crash in CrossFire.
    I tested with Crysis and Crysis warhead running in CrossFire and i played for 6 hours without issues. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I would suggest a few things:

1) Do you have the latest driver (11.4 preview or beta) and the lates CAPS installed?

2) Update the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest revision.

3) Update all your chipset drivers for your motherboard.

4) Try a different crossfire bridge.

5) Try a different power supply.

3. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    Thanks for the suggestion, i will attempt them now, I was using DNA-ATi driver packs, version 11.2.1, The chipset drivers are up to date, the mobo is an MSI 790FX-GD70, i do not have another PSU, or set of crossfire bridges, I am using the ones supplied witht he mobo since the ones that came with the cards were too short. I will update the bios on the motherboard + cards as well.

4. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    The fact that you refer to the crossfire bridges in plural would suggest to me your are using two. Try just using one if that is the case.

5. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    yes i was using both, i assume it doesn't matter which one of the 2 slots on the cards i connect them to.

6. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I don't believe it does.

7. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    alright, with a bios update + 1 bridge i get some texture flickering which i can live with and probably fix through the settings, but one bigger problem occurs, i get the dreaded ATIKMDAG.SYS BSOD now...looking into ways to fix this, and possibly may involve reflashing the bioses on the GPU's

8. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    okay, i uninstalled CCC and am using MSI afterburner since i was told CCC can cause problems, I am also in the process of uninstalling the onboard REALTEK audio as i've heard taht causes problems with this game.

9. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    Problem Solved!

After flashing a bios update, using driver sweep to clean all drivers and rolling back to catalyst 10.4, and turning off the Catalyst AI as well as running only 1 crossfire bridge instead of 2, the problem is fixed. I just played BC2 for about 45mins without a single artifact/crash on practically maxed out settings, much more then i could do before.

**please close this thread!**

10. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Except turning off Catalyst AI turns off x-fire...

11. xkurisu

xkurisu New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire HD 4870 XFIRE
    really? i was unaware of that, but after turning off catalyst ai i was still anble to enable crossfire and tweak the clocks and fan speeds of each card. MSI Afterburner still read them as being in crossfire too.

12. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    It doesn't disable it it just turns off the effects. You have to disable it from the x-fire tab for it to show as disabled in other apps.

There are pages of this stuff relating to attempted fixes for "micro-stuttering" lurking about.

But if you've found a solution you're happy with.... result! :)

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    check if it still shows load on both gpus when disabled. when i was still running crossfire, disabling ai would only show load on one gpu, which is more or less the same as crossfire being disabled.