4850 questions....

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tamzid, Jun 25, 2008.

1. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    thank god iv listened to the guru's :D well ive been a fan of ati from since ive used 9250 but after the 68 series well nvidia had to be the choice..but now um gona be back with ati yey.... i don no why but ive alwayz seem to find that games look so much better even without aa on ati cards.....hmmmm okay my questions are as follows plz help me out...

1. which brand to buy??

2. i don want to buy the stock design cards and the problems wid cooling and everything how long will i have to wait???

3. i saw this psu on newegg will it be able to handle one 4850??? um never going to sli don have a slimobo...

the link to the psu.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

looking for another great feedback from the guru's......

2. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    JUst getting into ATIs so can't answer much.. but that PSU seems like overkill; I know mine is.

OCZ PSUs are loud btw; had a gamexstream before and craigslisted it immediately after my corsair came in a few days later. But if that doesn't concern you the price seems ok. (and my 35 dollar rebate never came in)

3. hulksmash

hulksmash Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti SOC
    A 420-430W PSU with an average number of RAM, HDD etc in your PC should be able to work with a 4850 so 500W is no probs I think.

Atm all 4850 brands are using reference coolers which just plain sucks. You can get an Asus version like I did - it comes with a CD that has the utility to let you control fan speeds whether its by auto or manual. On auto - its pretty loud and temps were around 58 degrees on load.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  4. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    well u can see my config... but still um posting it again...

intel pentium duo core 1.8ghz not oc'd

gigabyte g965ds3mobo

ram 3gb ddr2 800bus 5-5-5-12 mushkin enhanced

seagate baracuda .10 250gb hdd

samsung dvd drive.

benq dvd writter

pinnacle tv card

and going to add an audigy sound card soon

now after i add a 4850 what psu will i need????? and ive also read that it needs 40v rails to run properly?????????? is that true?????????????

5. Doubledarkhorse

Doubledarkhorse Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 Crossfire 684/1080
    1 & 2: Gigabyte and Asus usually come out with good cooling solutions quickly.
    3: You can never have too much power and who knows when your mobo will go out. So let's say it does and you replace it with a crossfire enabled mobo. You don't want to have to upgrade your PSU again so you might as well spend the extra $30 now on something that will last you forever:

OCZ:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

Corsair:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Zalman(It's modular and therefore awesome):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379003

PCP&C:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

6. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
  7. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    Sapphire/HIS are good!

8. DaShoota

DaShoota Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD4850
    Sorry to go off-topic but since we are discussing the 4850 i thought id put my question here.

Will my CPU bottleneck this video card If I were to buy one? Im planning to buy one. I wanna be able to play crysis at decent settings, meaning having good frames while still having it look pretty. Please advise. Thanks

9. hulksmash

hulksmash Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti SOC
    Yes it will bottleneck!

My E6600 at stock 2.4GHZ was a bottleneck also but I OC'd it to 3GHZ and its running at max power now :)

10. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i don have that much money to spend on a psu.. for now.... i think i will try to run it with my semi non brand lolz delux psu.... it says it has a 12v rail of 15 but cant seeem to find the other 12v rail on the sticker and it has a 6pin connector with it.... btw how many 6pin connectors do i need?????? nd y would a pro bottleneck a pcix???????

11. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    As far as the stock cooler goes, ive done the "pull the blue wire from the power connector" trick, and fan speed is at 100% the entire time(kinda noisy), however it doesnt get above 55c under stress.

12. DaShoota

DaShoota Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD4850
    Really? How are you cooling your cpu? Im running my cpu at stock (w/ stock hsf) because I was having fps issues in COD4 when I oc'd it. Its hard to overclock it too much w/o getting the temps above 60c. I really don't have the $$ to upgrade my cpu but I want the 4850.

13. hulksmash

hulksmash Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti SOC
    Its just normal air cooling. I'm using an Asus HSF but its nothing special..like £9 from the shop.

My CPU voltage is bout 1.4 which I think is high but it runs about 49 degrees idle.

Edit: Now at 41 degree idle, 1.3v.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008