480 or Fury or 1060?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Truder, Jul 29, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only title that NVIDIA cards seem to be doing better at, is Tomb Raider. At this point we have:

Tomb Raider
    Hitman
    Warhammer
    Forza
    Gears Ultimate
    Ashes
    DOOM
    Quantum Break

NVIDIA seems to be better at one, and on par on another. Keep in mind that all upcoming AAA titles will be DX12/Vulkan. These include Deus Ex, Watchdogs 2, Battlefield 1, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, Halo 5, Halo Wars, Civilization VI, and probably others that I forget.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Any upcoming Idtech engine based game will probably use Vulcan API. So you can put on the list Prey 2, Quake Champions, Evil Within 2.

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Well, definitely interesting times ahead. Again, people need to consider what they actually play/want to play. Out of the games listed above, I have a passing interest in Tomb Raider and Doom once I can get them for cheap. Doom seems to run great on everything but Kepler. Definitely looking forward to Deus Ex benchmarks as well to see how that one runs on both vendors, but I'm not in a rush to pick that one up anytime soon. What I'm most looking forward to is Mafia III, which is Dx11 afaik and has very low system requirements from what I've seen.

4. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    exactly.
    it doesnt matter what card you buy as long as no vendor is trying to slow down or completely deny innovation.
    the faster we get all the new features of the low-level apis going the faster we will have cards of all vendors who support it.
    it may hurt the vendor who is behind in new tech at first. but thats no reason to trash talk the new apis. as it's done here so often.
    false pride. and false understanding of whats the correct way of technical evolution.

5. mstcobra

mstcobra Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    I'd go with a 1060 unless you plan to do a crossfire/sli setup or play mostly DX12 games.

The 480 is not as strong as the 1060 in any DX9, DX10 or DX11 application that I have seen. In DX12 it is about 1 or 2 FPS quicker, so not a good trade off imo.

The Fury's 4GB vram limit will be a bottleneck at higher resolutions. We are already seeing games like Doom using over 5 on max settings.

So pretty much any way you cut it the 1060 is the way to go unless you plan to use multiple cards since the 1060 doesn't have SLI fingers but to be blunt if you had the bank to get two 1060s or two 480s or two Furys you'd still be better off with a single 1070, 1080 or AMD equivalent single GPU configuration.

(Btw - Don't let the 1080 in my sig lead you to believe I am a green fanboy or anything. I've ran cards from both sides and am only loyal to what is best at the time of buying. Up till 2 weeks ago I was running a crossfire setup with two MSI R9 390s)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  6. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'm not going over this again in full, but I will ask everyone in this thread a question:

Do you think that a 4GB Fury is worth £100 more than a 4GB 480 Nitro +? I don't think the 1060 is debatable here as it's at minimum £40-50 more.

Hold in mind that the user is also playing at 1080p.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 100 more is not worth it in price/performance. And then you have the memory question.

BUT.

For games using 4GB of memory, the Fury is a monster. It has shown what kind of monster it is under DOOM.

BUT.

If you are approaching $400, why not consider the 1070? I'm sure that in the depth of time it will be actually worse than the Fury, but it shouldn't be THAT much worse, and it's much, much better now. So this still stands for me:

460/470/480/1070/1080/NVIDIA CEO Leather Jacket.

8. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280
    Your comparing cuda cores to radeon cores

The 1060 has half the cores of the 1080

9. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That's similar to how I see it myself, things may change a little if you start looking into the second hand market, but not everyone is comfortable with buying second hand.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    In most games the difference between 1060 and 480 is moot in dx9 to 11 games. The difference is big in few dx11 for the 1060 and difference is big in few dx12 for the 480. But most of the time the cards are close to each other. I would get one that is cheaper tbh. If one games on 1440p the difference is even smaller.

11. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I was looking heavily at getting the RX480 to replace 2x r9 280x cards. After some thought, i realized that after 6-12 months, the card wouldn't be so hot and i would probably prone to considering upgrading yet again.

Bought a Fury Nano about 2 months ago, had some issues and sent it back and held off. Now I've purchased an GTX 1070, its somewhere in transit at the moment.

For me, it was the best card for my resolution (2560x1080), thermal requirements, the games that i play and its slightly future proofed until the next 'big thing' hits the GPU scene.

AMD's taken a different route from where i need to be as a customer, which i respect as this will help them get back on track, but i need something a bit more powerful than what AMD has to offer for the next 6-12 months.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Good choice, 1070 iCHill 3xFan is about 480€ here (i was looking on this, before Fury).
    But still my Nitro OC+ 360€ was Great choice for me (Plaing 1920:1440/1856:1392 can go Higher, but i need to replace my Good CRT with some OLED HDR 4k) and now i have for fast ZEN upgrade in 3-4 months, and this GPU will be sufficient for me (And HBM !).

:thumbup:

Happy Play and don't forget to look into my Thread from time to time :nerd:

13. Sizzor

Sizzor Member

GPU:
    4 GB
    Fury and 480 both are good for 1080p gaming .I will suggest wait for month or so let the price of the Graphics cards come down. Fury is good for longevity as it was targeted as 1440p card .So you can play more games at 1080p in the future. We still need to see the performance in upcoming titles on rx 480 but still it is a great card for the budget.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's a CPU issue. If you can't run 1080p60 max WoW with a 7950, something is wrong.

15. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    This thread is the internal debate I am having right now. Haven't had such a tough call between hardware in a LONG time. For me at the moment its likely to be a toss up between the MSI 480 & 1060. I am kind of leaning towards the 1060 because it runs better in RotTR and OpenGL games, but I'd would happily buy another MSI AMD card if it is the same quality as what I have now. Hands down best card I have ever owned.

What do?

16. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I'm actually tempted to go with the £199 Sapphire Nitro 4GB card, but then again, I'm also tempted to save up for another month and then get a 1070 :/ (But I love the simplicity of AMD cards, especially when it comes to multimonitor support).

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Selling your 285 and getting that Nitro 480 is a not so bad when you think if it. It wont cost you that much at all and you are getting a very nice boost in performance.

1070 is an expensive card. You can always save up and wait for Vega with that 480 (stay with red). :p

18. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Almost the same, from 280x to 480 and then to Vega..

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    He He OMG we are nasty :flip2:
    Could you tel me why you dislike nGreedia ?

Thats lol really i need to get over with it, and STOP IT :war:

Here i quote my own sentence:

[The concept of "silence" is not meant to imply secrecy, or reticence to share information
    on any level. Rather, it conveys the lack of necessity for comment.
    Those who know do not need to be told; and those who do not know seldom listen.]

Besides now ATI Tek has the Best Performance per Dollar GPU's on the Globe !
    The RX 480 and 470 so the Crusade is Over now. Only in EU/US they sold >100k GPU's already (Yes i know thats unconfirmed Yet ;-) )
    Also they Have Large quantity of chips to deliver to Sony/MS/Nintendo :)
    And for AIBs also some Really Big Q.
    Uff that means better optimised Games for everybody (yet for nV too) and DX12/Vulcan will fly as intended :kind:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    £300 is my upper limit, I can't justify a £400 GPU anymore (don't game enough these days).