4790k - Temps weird

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by visine, Sep 20, 2017.

1. visine

visine Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hello.

So I've recently swapped from an 4790 to a 4790k, but the temps went from like 55-58 between all cores ingame, now with 4790k my temps can sometimes go as high as 65 when I play games. If I try pc mark, it goes to 68-70. My cooling is deepcool 240 ex. Shouldnt I expect better temps? What can I do to improve my temps?

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    The 4790K runs at a higher clock speed, so higher temps should be expected.

3. visine

visine Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Yea, true. But, shouldnt deepcool 240 ex at least keep it below 60?

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    You were getting just below 60 before on your 4790, while a 4790K runs 400 MHz faster and has a higher TDP (88W vs 84W). Unless you run your fans faster, there is little chance of keeping it at the same temps as before. Some additional case fans might help but not by much.

65 - 70 is still a pretty good temperature. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

5. visine

visine Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hmmm, possibly. I'm just used to have temps below 60 with a watercooling systems. Shouldn't a deepcool ex 240 keep it below 60? I also saw a review on guru3d on the same CPU, and they kept it below 60.

6. visine

visine Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    And for some reason 1 or 2 of the cores always have about 5-10 higher temp than the others. core 0 and 2 can have 51-52c, and the other two can have 61-62.

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070FTW
    They are a tad high but you have not given any other details about your system like memory speed your using or even if your oc`ing, also case temps and air flow will affect your temps, you could also have an air pocket in your thermal paste, air bubbles in you rad, the 4790k while still a cracking cpu is getting old now and if yours was second hand may well have had the life thrashed out of it by the previous owner, so saying you have high temps is not enough to base a judgment on

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 980Ti Amp!Ext
    Maybe reapply TIM? Or use something like noctua nh-t1..

I have only Corsair H90, ok extra P/P fans, and it rarely or never goes over 60C by games @4.7GHz by relatively low fan speeds.

Btw dont mind that between core0-2 temp variations. Even ivybridge had them.

9. visine

visine Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Yea, I used to have a corsair h100 with noctua nh-t1 and the temps were around 60 with a 2600k clocked to 4.5 - I know that the 4790k is a tad higher on default.

I even tried to use (DC mode) on the Q-fan monitor on the asus rampage motherboard. Now the temps are a little better, but maybe I should just try to reapply some noctua paste instead, atm im using cooler master paste.