1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4790K on ASUS SB Mark 1 - Bang head here

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SickBoy254698, Jul 31, 2014.

1. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I give up. :bang:

I went from an IP-35 Pro with a Q6600 to a 4790K on an ASUS Sabretooth Mark 1. Sort of like going from a tricycle to a Ferrari. I have been messing around in the BIOS for almost two weeks and I cannot get the motherboard to cooperate with me. I realize the problem is between the chair and the computer so thats why I'm here. I haven't been, you know, "on the scene" for a while. (please note the Spongebob reference)

The default settings on the MB put the 4790 to 4.4 at all times with a VID in core temp of 1.2. If I let the motherboard have its way, it auto tunes it to 4.6 and jacks up the voltage to 1.325. Ironically that's the exact VID of my old trusty Q6600. I realize I have a lot to learn. This MB is far more advanced then my old IP-35 Pro. That's why I've been trying to find a good starting point by setting the 4790 to it's default core ratios but I have no idea how to get the MB to do that. It seems like no matter what I change I end up back where I started.

I would also like the RAM to use it's XMP profile and run at 1833 Mhz. I have 16GB. I also have a feeling using the XMP profile instead of manually setting the timings may be part of my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

2. zais

zais Member Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OP go to 2nd page in bios and change to manual overclocking then change CPU multi bus speed etc manually. All overclocking should be done in bios. And yeah XMP will overclcock everything else if you leave DOC enabled

Here is a good place to start....

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379171

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  4. Predator

Predator Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 OC mini-ITX
    sometimes XMP does not work properly, if your case, set RAM divider manually to match XMP specs, set vdimm accordinly (1.65v) ? then F10 and test, then set manually timings

one thing you should bear in mind with devil canyons CPUs, set vccin to 1.6v , they scale better than 4770k with not that much vccin

cheers