4790k low voltage/high temps

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by slimmy427, Jan 23, 2018.

1. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming
    I am currently finding myself frustrated with my personal expectations of my CPU. My issue is that the 4790k has been able to achieve a high OC with relative low voltage but, seems to be way out of the realm of normal heat dissipation. In comparison to these results...it looks like something may be wrong with my set up http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h100i-gtx-review,11.html

The following are my results:
    Corsair H100i v2 (2 fan push / horizontal radiator)
    Asrock z97 extreme4
    4790k core=4.8 @ 1.25v (vcore up to 1.27 in HM)
    uncore=4.4 @ 1.10 (cache v up to 1.12 in HM)
    gskill 2123 9-11-10 1.65v 4x4gb
    Seasonic 750w gold
    MSI gtx 1070 gaming
    2032mhz @ 1.043v

CPU has been delidded with a 18 degree improvement.
    CPU temp reaches 76c with prime 210 and 82c with x264. This is far warmer then the H100i review.
    idles at 27-28 with c state on. C state off is 34-35
    Socket and core temps seem balanced. no more then an 8c difference between cores.
    GPU never goes over 56c

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated. I am currently at work but, after I could upload screen shot of HWmonitor.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You need to use Liquid metal TIM, paint both the die and the heatspreader(i don't mean the part that contact h100i, the opposide side)to ensure perfect contact.
    Assuming you are using regular paste.

3. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming
    Thanks for the response

Its been awhile but, I think I may have only applied coolaboratory ultra to the die. I then used mx4 between the cooler and spreader. I did see an 18 degree improvement over stock TIM.

One other thing I had to do. The Asrock motherboard was a bit thinner, so I had to put spacers on the backplate to ensure proper contact...as I was running out of threads after the delid.

Do you think that the mother board may be overvolting? No matter what I adjust in the bios, I can't get the vcore and cache to not have .02 volts added after boot.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You must apply to both die and the heatspreader, otherwise it'll never be the best contact; overtime this becomes more of an issue.

Are you using override or adaptive for vcore?

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Hm I've done my share of delids and never seen that being an issue, how long of a period you talking about? I've always put liquid metal only on the die, not under ihs. Is it a big deal?

6. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming
    I have resorted to using override. Never was able to get it to work. For some reason asrock's adaptive is bugged, same goes for overclocking only applying to the turbo clock.

As far as temps go and the results in the review I linked....4.6 @ 1.3v w/o a delid hitting 68c. Then there is my 4790k 4.8 @ 1.27v (bios @ 1.25) with improved delid (before was low to mid 90s) temps hitting 76c in the same prime 2.10 benchmark.

I think I may have a small amount of liquid metal left, might be enough to add to, at best.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I've had a couple of delids where i did die only, each time temps were not as nice as the first time i tested it. Seems like a gradual decrease over time.
    3rd chip i tried(4790k) on both sides and it's temps have stayed the same as day 1, been about a year or so.

You'll see others that do it for a service like the silicon lottery strongly recommend you to apply to both sides.
    Does not matter on normal TIM of course.

Make sure you are on latest bios of course.

The adaptive for core voltage is the best way to go; adaptive for cache voltage is buggy.

GroinShooter, slimmy427 and airbud7 like this.
  8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070FTW
    4.8 with a 4790k....what are you expecting, all though its a cracking chip(had one myself) you might aswell stick to 4.6 unless your trying to murder the poor thing, also i`d suggest full water cooling not aio for cooling at that frequency.

9. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming
    Thanks for the tip with the cache voltage. I will go back and see if I can figure out the adaptive for core.

My board does come with 2 bios. A-that I never updated (1.3) and B-which is latest release (2.5). Sadly both bios perform almost identical in my testing.

Thankfully, I am not having stability issues at 4.8...actually managed to lower voltage to 1.24 today. Ran stable for a hour but, again my temps didn't drop. It looks like you are on to something with applying LM to both sides. Seems I will have to get over the temps or get out the coolabs ultra. Temps aren't unsafe...during gaming I'd be unfortunate to see over 64c. Might ride it for a few more months and watch the progression. Then decide to tear back into the tower.

Thanks for the insight!

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If you are out of it; get thermal grizzly LM, it's a bit better.

slimmy427 likes this.

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    4.8 at 1.25v is pretty impressive. I need 1.35v for 4.7GHz on 4690K. So the radiator is mounted at the top since you said horizontal? Did you do intake or outtake fans? Using same AIO.