4790K+960 SLI Windows XP Retrogaming build

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by SlCKB0Y_BE, Apr 18, 2021.

1. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    (thought it might be a good idea to make a new thread as the name of the previous one doesn't really apply anymore.)

i wanted to make the "ultimate" (as in last compatible) windows XP build, here's what i came up with :

I7 4790K+Enermax 240mm AIO
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
    4x4gb Gskill 1600mhz
    2x Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce OC
    120gb Samsung 870 Evo SSD+2tb Seagate barracuda HDD
    Creative X-fi Titanium
    850w Corsair PSU
    Enermax LIBLLUSION LL30 case + 6xAerocool Astro fans.

pic of the build : https://imgur.com/a/Co3ODJu

of course the computer will have a Windows 10 dual boot for anything non retro gaming related.

and here's precisely where my actual problem is :

i can install/update windows no problem, get all the needed drivers and have a fully working windows XP setup,
    but as soon as i install windows 10 and then to reboot back to windows XP, my USB ports stop fonctionning.

i pretty much narrowed the problem to either some settings in the bios, more than likely something to do with he UEFI bios,

or the windows 10 boot manager doing something it's not supposed to when it restart the computer to load windows XP.

apparently i'm not the first to experience this issue but i haven't found any fix online,
    tomorrow i'll try installing windows 10 again but then replace the windows 10 boot manager using EasyBCD.

but i'm starting to think perhaps would i spare myself more troubles than it's worth using 2 separate SSD for the 2 operating system ?

would like to hear what you think or if you've experienced something like this or better yet found the solution.

thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Valken likes this.
  2. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    think i might have finaly found something :
    https://www.sevenforums.com/hardwar...ard-mouse-not-working-after-switching-os.html

trying to reinstall windows 10 on the second partition right now, fingers crossed ...

Edit : that was it :) finaly got the USB fixed under windows XP with the Windows 10 dual boot :p

also flashed both GFX cards to the lastest bios, but unfortunatly i still can't enable SLI under XP :/

might be a driver issue tho, as even after a fresh reinstall of the driver i still have weird error message saying some Nv*****.dll couldn't be loaded.

wonder if that's not the reason SLI can't be enabled as again i'm pretty sure it did work before when i booted my old install.

trying to delete them under safe mode but i think i'm gonna need a driver uninstaller still compatible with XP to do it cleanly.

will keep you guys updated :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Did you really even need the dual booting functionality, seeing how you also have a modern main machine?

Edit: My current video card is from the same generation as your retro one. Ouch. Thanks, miners!

Sir Galahad likes this.
  4. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    unfortunatly yes i do need the dual boot for file transfert/modern usage like web browsing, but i managed to get the USB issue under XP fixed.

"Solution was to change Intel xHCI Mode from "Smart Auto" to "Auto" (or just disable it) under Advanced - USB Configuration. So it will not use USB 3.0 during the boot."

last thing i got to fix is the SLI not available under windows XP, but i really think it's caused by some bad drivers i installed automaticaly along with the chipset driver using Snappy Drivers Installer.

problem is i'd need a version of DDU still compatible with XP, i thought i had found one but it crash right when i try to launch it :/ if anyone know of a compatible version it'll be nice.

or else i guess i'll reinstall everything once more and install the drivers myself from the nvidia website, should have done so but heh, snappy did find the correct drivers for the chipset at least.

5. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Slightly offtopic, but I ran into that USB issue when dual booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 on a Z97-A, 1080, 4790k system. Used the same solution I think.

The reason I installed Windows 7 was to confirm if EuroCops/Counter Terror failed to launch because of a hardware compatibility issue or a OS level issue.

It was Windows 10 which caused the game to fail at startup.

6. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    ok so i've formated and reinstalled windows xp, updated everything and installed the nvidia driver last and by myself,
    but guess what, still give me the same two NVcpl.dll related errors

yay that was usefull lol

guess i'll investigate the issue further and keep you guys update.

7. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  8. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    Just install drivers manually, do not use third party installers.

9. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    tried already, even on a completly new windows xp installation but still get the same issues.

10. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    update : think i found the problem.

while troubleshooting i decided to test each cards separatly, and to my surprise as soon as i only had 1 card in the system i didn't get the error message anymore.
    the taskbar control pannel icon wasn't crashing anymore neither.

tested the other card just to make sure, same deal work without any issues.

plug both at the same time, error message is back.

disabled one card in the device manager, reboot, no error message anymore. from here i know something was rotten in the kingdom of danemark...

and then i found this : https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3138/~/sli-support-in-windows-xp

Quote :

The following SLI features are not supported on Windows XP:

• Geforce GTX 680, 670 SLI
    • Quad SLI technology using GeForce GTX 590, GeForce 9800 GX2 or GeForce GTX 295
    • 3-way SLI technology
    • Hybrid SLI
    • SLI multi-monitor support

so from what i'm getting, the 960 might be the last compatible card for windows XP, but i start to think the 660 is the last officially supported card for SLI under windows XP. (yayyyy ...)

i can bet it's only locked by the drivers just like the 970/980 can be used under xp with modded drivers, but is it possible to do the same for SLI support ??

imput from anyone with some experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated ^^

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    302.59 had kepler sli support, but it has no maxwell compatibility.

12. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Yes, it's slightly unnerving how similar this build is to my main gaming PC!

Kaarme likes this.
  13. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Man that's sad seeing my CPU in the same sentence as retro gaming. :(

(Awesome build tho, looks great)

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Valken likes this.
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Seriously, ME TOO! Plus others on Haswell/Broadwell or older!

PS: How far can you OC the CPU with that 240mm AIO?

You should get yourself a set of 4x 8GB G.Skill DDR3-2400CL10 if you can find it. I did and it gave me a 10 FPS (or 25%) gain on ARMA 3 or CPU bound games.

I have nearly the SAME PSU.

Great choice on the X-Fi Titanium.

You should get rid of the SLI and get a used 1060 GTX or 1660 GTX. Less headaches and can still keep up with some new titles at 1080p.

For 2D or old 3D, should be no problem up to 4K.

15. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    How about a 780TI?
    Should be a bit more powerful than a GTX 960 while also maintaining windows XP support.

16. SlCKB0Y_BE

SlCKB0Y_BE Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    tbh i haven't even tried to OC the CPU yet, but i'd say there's defenetly some good headroom, currently the cpu is idling under 40° and around 60° in burntest.
    from what i saw the overclocking capability is quite limited on the 4790K and given my usage i thought it would be better to keep the low temp/wattage.

tried to get faster DDR3 but was a PITA to find and i already got 2 sticks of the one i'm currently using, also 16gb is absolutly plenty if not downright overkill for the games i'm running,
    think the most i've used was like 6gb at most and that was with a game+chrome running in the background.

problem is then i'd loose the XP support, almost got a pair of watercooled 780ti but lost the bid at the last minute :/ also i found out it's possible to mod the XP drivers to run 980ti.

i got to agree SLI can be pretty tedious, but at the same time having the load spread on 2 gpu rather than 1 help keeping the cards cooler,
    and as my AIO is mounted on top of the case it also help with the CPU temp.

still haven't figured out a way to use SLI under windows XP tho, bit of a bummer but tbh most games that would require more than a single 960 to run wasn't made for XP anymore anyway.