4770k 4.3ghz is that bad for next gen gpu ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sajibjoarder, Jul 28, 2018.

1. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    hello guys, i use a 4770k(4.3 ghz oced ). i want to buy the next GA102/GT102 ( however they call it). i think this will come out within 2 months of 1180 release, may be as geforce titan. i have been using the 1080 for 2 years plus ( bought it within 7 days or the release ). now my question is if i want to buy the G*102, do i need to change my cpu ? will it bottleneck ??

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What ram do you have? At least 2133mhz cl9 or cl10?

Also can you oc cache (vring) to 4.2ghz?

As overall it won't much, no need to change especially if you plan to play at 1440p+

Here check this out: they used 1080ti @ 1080p, its already high enough, 100fps+ on avg., once you go 1440p it's no difference.

www.techspot.com/amp/review/1526-intel-4th-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The CPU is primarily a limitation if you're targeting 144 hz. For 60, there's no need to upgrade yet.

Mat likes this.
  4. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    bro i know what you are saying. i need to upgrade. this 1080 wont give me enough horsepower .. my ram is 2400mhz xmp. i'm targeting for 4k hdr.. see at 1080p or 1440p this card is decent, at 1440p because of bottleneck 4770k 7700k or 8700k performs the same. but this time the GT/GA 102 will have 5000+ sadders ( i'm saying it based on GV100 ). so my concern is, do you guys think that at 4k my cpu can cope with a next gen titan ?? i ll buy the titan this time becaz i think thats the best value in the long run. if this year they release gtx 1180 and gtx titan ( based on ampere/turing ), next year they will come up with a 1180ti which will be equivalent to a titan. if amd can't pose threat then after one plus years they will lunch 1280. so with a titan u can have the fastest gpu for two years.they are doing the same for a while.so it's very possible they will do it again. moreover i don't want to upgrade my cpu and motherboard ( maximus 6 formula ) till pci express 4.0 is out. then i have to through the motherboard away very soon. that's why i was asking if its mandatory to get a motherboard

5. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    yes but should you care is probably the bigger question.
    there are things like fallout 4 where if you want higher framerate your memory bandwith will actually start holding you back (DDR3 vs DDR4 is about 50% bandwith latency is about even though).
    other old things like crysis 1 and supreme commander only use 1 or 2 core's/threads max so in these your cpu will be a limiting factor long before the gpu can be asked.

other then that just the CPU slayers that might wear you down (assasins creed origins for example just tanks my framerate to 40fps in city's, gpu's chilling but cpu is pegged at 100% on all 4 core's).

if you want to play old stuff at 120/144fps, or the cutting edge games (assasins creed, battlefield 1/V/monsterhunter world are all verry heavy on the cpu.. guessing monster hunter world based on whats been floating around) then a cpu upgrade might just be what brings your next gen gpu to new heights. though there's honestly not much to gain if the i7 9900K is perfect and were to match the best 8700k's in oc you'd improve by 1Ghz per core, where if you'd go with ryzen you'd gain 0ghz per core but gain 4 core's usefull for modern games, utterly useless for old one's.

other then that there's the platform additions to consider, judging by the cpu your comming from if you have a M2 slot it's limited to 2x PCI-E 2.0 where as modern M2 NVME SSD's would prefer 4x PCI-E 3.0 wile they will work on 2x2.0 they bum out at 1GB/s instead of 2700.

also if you dont want to just get the card first and if needed plot a platform upgrade, worst case scenario things will be better or cheaper by the time you find out you need it..unless it go's the way of ram.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, yeah I know what you mean by power potencial now. It will, especially by 4k. By 1440p it would be a little noticeable, but nothing major. Look at titanV, Turing won't be that different.

7. Mat

Mat Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    I'm still on a 3770k @4.5, yeah I have 2 crap gpu's, but I play at 60fps 1080p, my guess is if you're playing at 1440p and above, I would just upgrade the gpu and be done with it, you can always update the other stuff IF you do get a cpu bottle neck, just my thoughts anyway.

8. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    You can still get higher fps from cpu upgrade even when the slower cpu does not hit 100%. My 7700k max usage when playing far cry 5 is 60%. I still see higher fps on YouTube videos using exact same settings (but with 8700k).

And for OP, as above it depends on what games are in question, and what target fps is wanted.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    As a fellow i7-4770k user, personally its perfectly capable of coping with everything I throw at it. At likewise 4.3ghz OC, at 3440x1440 it does not bottleneck my 1080Ti at all.

Mainly due to the resolution which is quite demanding even for 1080Ti. However, I use 100hz screen with Gysnc, hence I cap my fps at 98.

In your case, move to 1440p, and you won't see any bottleneck even at 144hz (in that case you will have to limit fps to 142 if you use Gsync). It's still a very capable CPU for gaming in its current state. In the nearest future, we will see a shift to games which fully utilize more than 1-2 threads on Dx12 / Vulcan. Once that happens more cores will matter more than per-core-speed.

Personally waiting for Zen 2.

sverek and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Same here, and i am still using a 2013 non K version for 4k and VR that is running at 3.90hhz with no issues, i do drop some of the heavy stuff like AA and AF and i am only gaming at 60fps as i am using a 43in 4k Tv rather than a PC monitor now, and you can see the odd drop under that 60 fps but none of that ever really bothered me, but apart from that this CPU is still a nice little power house that will see me fine for some time yet, F4 is just eye candy in 4k.

But yeah if your aiming high above 60fps and a really high res then yes it will bottleneck you.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    We have similar setups and when I go 4K, first thing will be GPU upgrade that can handle it then CPU/RAM/MB if need be.

The only game that really kills my CPU is ARMA and even old OpenGL games like GZDOOM, EDUKE or Half Life still pulls over 100 FPS on a single core with my 1060 until something crazy like Brutal Doom tanks it.

But other than those types of situations, your CPU is good enough for 98% of the games out there.

I actually wish there was 6-8 GHZ Dual Core available though for us old school and emulator users. :D

12. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I dont see any charts in there, just some random words.

Btw mhw benchmark ran just fine back then.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    4770k is fine for gaming...
    game developers will not abandon quad cores for a while...(that would be a shot in the foot)

get the best card you can and game on...

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Looking at BF1 specs, it seems the 4-5 Year old CPU's are finally starting to feel a bit dated.

https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech

MINIMUM SPECS
    • Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
    • Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
    • Memory: 8GB RAM
    • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB
    • Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
    • DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
    • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    • Hard-drive space: 50GB
    RECOMMENDED SPECS
    • Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
    • Memory: 16GB RAM
    • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB
    • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB
    • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
    • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    • Available Disk Space: 50GB
    Of course it's hitting the limit for the Recommended specs not the minimum. Not demanding anybody to upgrade or anything, I was running a i7 5775c for a long time and just recently upgraded and enjoying it. Just looking at these specs though, I wonder of this will be a new trend for the end of 2018 onwards with titles like this. Overall though I'd agree, get a nice GPU and game.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  17. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    What resolution? 4k? Cpu won't be holding you back.

18. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Obviously comparison was made in single player.