551.86 - Clean Version

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Eviltoaster, Jul 20, 2020.

1. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I really appreciate your work and I always download these clean drivers but I am having issues with the links provided. Would it be possible to provide a different host ?

Attached Files:

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    reset your chrome prefs so http works correctly......

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I can't really lose those settings. I tried downloading with edge and I get the same screen.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    seems like a MITM / VPN issue.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Links work fine - the issue is on your end, as suggested above try turning off your VPN.

6. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I don't have a VPN but my provider is pretty sucky with connections. They restrict acces to some sites.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That sounds like a horrible provider - it's your choice which websites to visit. Change them asap.

8. Eviltoaster

Eviltoaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070 OC
    fr3quency and YetYhunter like this.
  9. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
  10. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    I'd been manually cleaning my drivers since the original thread was published (and thanks again for @cryohellinc and now @Eviltoaster for all their efforts). However, since late last year, I decided to go with NVCleanInstall and its automated process to create clean driver packages.

It wasn't until now that I decided to compare folder structures between drivers that have been manually cleaned (or downloaded from this forum) and those created by NVCI.

The ones cleaned by NVCI don't have the "nodejs" and "PPC" folders, but the drivers still work perfectly fine on my 2080 Ti with RTX-enabled games. They do have a "GFExperience" folder, even if you choose for GFE to not be installed, by not selecting (checking) that option. In my experience, removing that folder entirely and also making the suggested changes to the setup.cfg file (by removing the three lines of code) has no effect on how the drivers work, and I've successfully done that with the last couple of releases.

In the old thread, it was mentioned that the "nodejs" and "PPC" folders were required for RTX cards. At the time, I was still rocking a 1080 Ti, so I couldn't properly test that theory. Now that I've been running a 2080 Ti with drivers cleaned via NVCI since last December, I'd like to know if those folders really are still required, or if there's something else going on.

Oh, and I've also been replacing the "DisplayDriverRAS.dll" file with a zero-byte one and deleting the "NvProfileUpdater" file/folder after installation, with no issues.

cryohellinc likes this.

11. Eviltoaster

Eviltoaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070 OC
    We're aware of this and decided that it's best we leave it as it is as we do not want to alarm the unaware users with the warning message during installation.

fr3quency likes this.
  12. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    Then go into the Feedback Hub and tell them. There are many entries for this, especially for video card drivers, and some have many votes.

13. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Is this the same like using NvSlimmer?

What exactly are these "Key RTX features"? Are they not included in Core?

14. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    Yeah, I know, it was a smart decision. I only mentioned that I'd done that as to show that the "fix" still works, even for drivers cleaned by NVCleanInstall with the other folders removed. :)

Any idea as to why the "nodejs" and "PPC" folders should still remain? I know a couple users suggested keeping them for RTX, but I haven't missed them in any way, shape or form.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This has been answered countless times already -
    "PPC is USB-C HDMI Driver (https://sites.google.com/view/virtuallink-consortium/) and is being used on some RTX cards
    Nodejs folder as of late has NGXCore files which are responsible for key Ray Tracing features of the driver.

By removing both of those, basically, you have made a GTX driver. If you don't use ray tracing - keep it, otherwise, you broke it.

Key RTX features necessary for ray tracing capabilities for the driver to function. Rest is bloat and GFE stuff.

Next time read the OP - everything is answered there.

16. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Nowhere has OP specified which folders contain these RTX features that are kept. I need to see an exact list of folders included in these clean drivers to know for certain what I'm putting in my system. Blanket statements like "key rtx features" mean nothing to me are not good enough.

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Blanket demands such as yours deserve no merit either. This was answered countless times beforehand.
    The extracted package is transparent, download it and check yourself. Otherwise, continue using the software cleaning method, nobody is holding you here.

pharma, fr3quency and Eviltoaster like this.
  18. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    I kept up with the old thread until around November of last year and missed any mention of what exactly those two folders entailed. The OP only mentions that a single user had tested their functionality for RTX cards, @VolterMort, and took their word for granted.

I followed the guide and didn't bother too much, as I still had a 1080 Ti. It was only after I upgraded to a 2080 Ti and started using NVCI (Slimmer has the exact same functionality) that I noticed the two missing folders. I don't have use for the USB-C port, so I leave that unchecked, and it makes sense that it's one of the two folders that ends up not being installed.

As for RT, as I mentioned in my second to last post, I've been using clean drivers without the "nodejs" folder for almost a year, and all games with RT features work as intended. In fact, I just loaded Control with all RT settings cranked to the max and had a flawless experience. So, your information is incorrect. And if it's still based on the experience of a single user, that may be why.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nodejs is required for dlss, not raytracing.

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I see. Without nodejs, I can't enable any Raytracing in the games I tried. I guess these games also have DLSS capabilities and are programmed to disable all of RTX functionality if DLSS capability isn't present.

cryohellinc likes this.