47" screen with 560 ti

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by blinx, Mar 3, 2011.

1. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Hi does the size of the screen affect the frame rate in bigger screens like say in a review a card pulls out 60fps on a 24 inch monitor would I get those same 60 fps on a 47 inch lcd?

Am going to get this set in a couple weeks but am concerned I may need to get another 560 ti in sli to make up for the larger size
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-47LD450/13904852

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    size of the screen doesnt affect framerate. only resolution and detail settings do.

so if your 560ti gets you say 130fps in cod black ops at 1920x1080 on a 24inch monitor at maxed settings (aa off), then if you play at the same resolution on the big screen TV at the same settings, you will still get 130fps.

the only thing that the size of the TV may affect is response rate and clarity (pixel density). bigger TVs may have a slower response rate which may make it feel laggy or stuttery. brand name TVs generally dont have many issues.

ive been using a TV for the last year or so as my display. my 560 soc handles everything i throw at it effortlessly at well above 60fps (with crysis and metro being the only exceptions). your 560ti will be fine.

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified

^^this

4. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    with that response time, its a yes and no thing.

it says 1ms response time next to 240hz. with 240hz, its not an actual 240hz, its just frame interpolation. basically it uses a CPU of sorts inside the TV to try to guesstimate frames between two real frames. this makes videos appear smoother. with some things it works well, with others, it doesnt.

from what i can tell, they just bs'd the figure. 1000ms in a second, divided by 240hz = 4.17ms response time black to black per frame in 240hz interpolation mode. 4.17ms black to black is roughly 1ms grey to grey.

however, this isnt a real response time figure as its based on frame interpolation, which isnt really true 240hz either. it also fails to account for the fact that frame interpolation methods often introduce about 48-50ms of lag.

the actual response time would probably be around 5-10ms or so.

6. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Am a little confused so am I better off getting the 60hz 47" LG with 4ms responce time? or the 240hz 46" Phillips with 1ms responce time?

Am mainly gonna use it for gaming on pc so all I really care for is a legit fast responce time:)

Thanks for the help

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    personally, i would say bring in a laptop or see if they can set up a fighting game on ps3 hooked up to it, like tekken 6 or street fighter, and you can test the response time yourself (heck, i brought in my PC just to test out the Panasonic IPS panel before i bought it). i havent physically tried either of the two models youve listed so i cant speak from experience with them. but the main thing you should look for when fiddling with them is to see if you can turn off the 240hz stuff.

if you can turn off the 240hz interpolation, then you will have much better response time.

but just from looking at the specs, i'd say the phillips one looks better as it supports 1920x1080p via vga (very few TVs do this, most tvs that support 1080p via hdmi only support 1280x1024 via vga), and it also has a lot more ports which should make it a lot more usable if you have plenty of devices around your home that you plan to hook up to it.

8. wikings1

wikings1 Member

GPU:
    nvidia 570 gtx hdmi
    plasma tv has very fast response time
    regards wikings1

9. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I decided to go with the LG walmart sold out on the phillips@$699 and the cheapest I can find it now is $945 LOOOL

10. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Am receiving my TV today but I kinda regret getting a larger size just because it's gonna output more heat into my room.. Everytime the weather reaches 80 degrees the LCD panel gets warm like a heater on low and heats up my small room fast it's like being trapped in a oven when the doors closed:flame:

Though I read older LCD's tend to get hot am hoping this newer set has better cooling or something.. Do you guys experience the same? the 37" tv I have now is a Olevia made in 2006 am hoping they improved alot over this years

I was thinking LED would've been a better choice since they are very thin I doubt they would output much heat?

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Newer LCD tvs are as suspoectible to heat as older ones are. Anyways, i doubt many out there will get hot. This includes plasma, LED, etc

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, LED's are very thin and cool, but LCD's have also improved alot in the last few years.

My 40inch Samsung bought in 2008 used to make me sweat if i sat monitor distance from it, and yes i do occasionally do that when testing image quality.
    It was especially warm if the backlight was set above 5, but the new 47inch LG LCD screen is thinner, lighter, uses less power and i have no heat issues with it even from 12inches away.

13. mcantu

mcantu Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1 GB
    calibrating your tv can drop power usage by 70% sometimes. this will also reduce the heat output.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good point, most TV's ship in shop mode, which generally has everything cranked as high as possible to make it stand out in a brightly lit shop.

15. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    That worked great changing lighting to Dark Room and Brightness down to 0 made it less hot I just bumped up the brightness within media player and games all is good now:thumbup:

16. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I just installed the new set and wow the size feels immense compared to the other.. I was wondering what setting I should lower for less power consumption? am guessing backlight/brightness/black level or maybe some other hidden setting? good looking out guys:)

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    To reduce power, you must look at what uses power.
    On an LCD screen, this will be the backlight and any internal processing.

If turning the brightness (black level/brightness offset) or contrast (overall brightness multiplier) down doesnt make the backlight dimmer, then it wont save power.
    Internal processing adds video delay and uses more power.
    Make sure it isnt being used for PC mode.

18. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    The tv actually has a energy saving feature I set it to maximum and lowered brightness everythings cool now I bought a fan for the hottest part of the day I use the tv most of the day so you can imagine always being in front of it can get rather hot sometimes

I had problems with stuttering in games turns it was just the tv the new one is smooth as silk in all games except Mafia 2 but I think that's just a cpu bottleneck

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  19. mcantu

mcantu Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1 GB
    if youre using it for games see if it has a 'games' mode. same thing for pc gaming or htpc use...look for 'pc' mode. this will remove most internal processing functions that can cause lag or hurt image quality

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well just noticed your in Vegas, so i doubt i would have anywhere near as many issues with heat in my chilly country :)