\/\/|-|47 1z |_337???

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WellCookedFetus, Jul 26, 2002.

1. For those of you that are asking or thinking what is l33t well I too ask that question and went searching on a long quest to find out (1min on google)

l33t is a language invented by gaming and code freaks to feel superior to other geeky freaks and/or cool as compared to the general public. Also there is a American internet manga that uses it alot (MegaTokyo)

Here are the details:

L33t code
    This is a letter for letter translation of L33t. There a phrases in L33t that are not describe here that need a second layer of translation. There are also l33t to English variants.
    A = 4
    B = |3
    C = C
    D = |)
    E = 3
    F = |>|-|
    G = 6
    H = |-|
    I = 1
    J = _|
    K = |<
    L = |_
    M = |\/|
    N = |\|
    O = 0
    P = |>
    Q = Q
    R = |2
    S = Z
    T = 7
    U = |_|
    V= \/
    W = \/\/
    X= ><
    Y = `/
    Z = 5

All numbers and symbols should be that same.

2. D Thorne

D Thorne Guest

3. fahad

fahad Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB/Hitachi CML174B
    that leet stuff sux its hard to read and i hate thinking

4. laciltame

laciltame Guest

+|-|4+'5 |33C4U53 j00 $1r @r3 |\|o7 73|-| \/\/1|\|N4|2!!11~ :D

5. osama1234

osama1234 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    i personally thing that's pushing it.
    a little w00t here and l33t there is ok, but writing all in this language is too just Annoying!

cause it takes longer to read, i'm sure there's people out there, that can claim to read this just as easily and quickly as normal english, but i don't believe em.

6. laciltame

laciltame Guest

to be totally honest, i can read |_337 5p34k *almost*as fast as standard english, there are some variations that people use that are new to me, but i don't see too many of those people. I normally read standard english at the rate of 2 pages per minute, a page being your typical novel page, be it hardback or paperback. I could probably read a page of |_337 5p34k at about a page every minute and half or so, give or take, I've never timed myself.

7. fahad

fahad Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Albatron Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB/Hitachi CML174B
    almost have it translated

That's because you sir are not the winner

8. laciltame

laciltame Guest

congratulations, and welcome to the world of 73|-| |_337!!!

9. SHAGGA

SHAGGA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670CUii

10. Ok Geek how many hours of l33t you have to do through to become fluent!!! This thread was about the stupidity of L33t not how or why to uses it!

Oh by the why the @#$% do you uses it and how?

11. SHAGGA

SHAGGA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670CUii
    To learn Leet?
    Depending on your mental capacities (and lifespan), around 1-3344923 days. Or thereabouts.

12. priz

priz Guest

That stuff doesn't make any sense. I wonder how bored the person was before they decided to make this up. I also wonder how old they were. What exactly is that phrase supposed to say? Because if it's is what the one person said, about not being the winner, then I guess you can just change letters if you feel like it?? What the hell kind of sense is that? What do I mean, well look here, "+|-|4+'5 " okay now that is supposedly saying "that's." I can see that, + is T, |-| is H makes sense. Except we also have "|\|o7 " which is "not." Okay so now 7 is T. So either 7 or + is T. But what about "73|-|"? It's "the", but it's really TEH? Or does 3 mean H when it's before |-|, which is usually H? I see even more things that don't make any sense but I figure this is enough to possibly get some sort of explanation to this "language."

13. SHAGGA

SHAGGA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670CUii
    I don't think it was one guy. It was a community thing. Starting with a few words then turning Spaz.

14. GTa86

GTa86 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 7850
    eetlay isway overratedway anywayway, Iway aysay ustjay alktay inway igpay atinlay

15. osama1234

osama1234 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    ssorry dude, i dunno piglatin, that's what i think you're talking in.

maybe i should do some research, cause i was teased in school for not knowing it. sad sad.

i completely agree with wCF.

i didn't get the last part of the "winner" i understand till winn
    wwhy's there an a instead of an e in winner??

i love good old english, with so many gramitical mistakes that it seems to make no sense, but still.

16. then its agree all geek language is for the geeks with WAY TO MUCH TIME! But I ask you with yet another of my insane question: If l33t say became more popular then English would we become the geeks? :evilgrin:

17. laciltame

laciltame Guest

there's an a in winnar for teh same reason the is teh = it's just part of 1337 5p34k, plain and simple.

P.S. I don't have way too much time, I work 50-60 hours a week, it's a online gamer thing, and if you don't like it when people say "j00 != 1337!!!1~", then Yu0 A3r JuS+ |\|o+ +3H ULT1|\/|4+3+E G@|\/|3r5!!!1~

OK, I think I'm done.

18. D Thorne

D Thorne Guest

well said..Iay ouldntcay greeaay ithway ouyay oremay

19. DEVIL29

DEVIL29 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Nvidia GTX 280
    i feel i must apologise for all this,cause it was me who started the what is l337? thread.my dumbass.:rolleyes:

20. laciltame

laciltame Guest

it makes sense if you use it often, or a little, different characters are used for different letters, there is no "one almighty" 1337 alphabet. t can be 7 or +, it just depends on the person who's saying it and how they learned how to speak 1337. Like 1 can be used for I or L, but |_ is also acceptable for L. it's okay to use 7 or + as t when saying "|\|0+" or "|\|07", and the whole thing with "teh" as opposed to "the", is it was a simple misspelling that caught on, and is now widely used as the 1337-way to say the.

If I remember correctly, 1337 speak originated from people playing online games, and trying to type messages back and forth in game. They were trying to type so quickly, that they constantly made typos, such as "teh" and "winnar". These typos are what developed into 1337 speak, with additions made here and there, and the eventual integration of numerical aspects into the language.

There, a really quick background on 1337 speak. It's just a way to identify yourself among gamers, at least, that's the way I see it. And you can confuse the hell out of people who don't know what the **** you are saying. :)