460 SLi or just a 480?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BeLGaRaTh_67, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT680 Classified 4GB
    I am currently building a new system and am wondering whether or not to go for the 460 SLi or just purchase a 480 instead?

My supplier is a bit limited on what they can get, but I suppose thats due to ordering from a local place rather than online (due to credit card/bank issue, IE I don't have any :))

What they can get are the Palit 1GB Sonic Platinum (Due this Friday) or the 480 in Gainward/Palit/KFA2 flavours. I have read the reviews here and the Palit was one of the recommended but cannot find reviews of the 480 cards from those manufactures so what would you guys recommend?

FYI the rest of the system will be as follows.

i7 930 @2.80Ghz (Bloomfield)
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    6GB Geil Black Dragon Triple Channel Ram Kit
    850w True Power Antec Modular PSU
    Thermaltake Spinq CPU Cooler
    500GB Wester.Dig. HD Sata 7200rpm 16mb cache
    1.5TB Samsung F2 SATA 32mb cache
    InWin Ironclad Full Tower Gaming Chassis 22cm Fan
    Lite-on Blu-rayBDROM SATA
    Samsung SATA DVDRW

Plus of course the GPU.

Hope someone can advise me :)

2. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Most reviews I've seen see the SLI 460 having around 10 to 20% advantage over the 480, though uses the same power but have much lower load temps. It's a no brainer really...

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i would go for two GTX460 instead of 480 they are cooler quieter and still faster than one GTX480, the gtx480 scare me

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, I'd tend to agree but some people always talk about the issues that come with SLI. I've never SLI'd before, so I cant tell you from my own experience. I just know that if you get the gtx 480, you dont have to worry about games that dont support SLI.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    newer games can run fine with one GTX460(if you dont play with 3 monitors at 2560x1600 each one :p), and they will support SLI in the near future as always i think

6. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    Thanks for all the replies, Such a great community :)

From the replies I think I will stick with the 460 in SLi and hopefully this rig will play Mafia a lot better than demo on my current machine 19FPS in teh benchmark thingy with all on low and 1280x800 :(

One last question, going SLi and that Motherboard I assume I will still get either x16/x16 or will it be x16/x8?

Thanks again for the replies.

7. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    get a gtx 480.. single hourse power solution..

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
  9. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    • GTX460 in SLI will be faster than single GTX480
    • SLI is not supported by all games
    • people report, that sometimes using SLI gets them micro-stuttering in games etc.
    • GTX460 in SLI (especially Platinum ones) will use more power than single GTX480
    • idle power consumption for single GTX480 and SLI GTX460 will be almost the same
    • when in SLI, top card will run hotter due to small space between the cards, so it will be harder to get cold air
    • for SLI, your PSU has to have 4x6pin PCI-E power connector

There are some points to consider. My personal preference is to get one higher power card, just because there are less problems with them in the future. But SLI setups are getting better and better, so it should minimize the issues. But considering, that two GTX460 are cheaper and faster than single GTX480, then there really is no brainer here.

2-way SLI cards will work x16/x16 with X58 chipset.

I would change CPU cooler if I were you - this Thermaltake looks cool, but it's loud and performance could be better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. Terry32

Terry32 Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 SLI 650/1300/1701

11. adonay

adonay Member

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    My buddy has a 480 bought directly after i came home from vacation with two galaxy GTX 460 boards with 768mb ram . I bought my 2 boards in China for 403USD\313EUR my buddy bought hes 480 here in norway for 580USD\451EUR. Well we did a heap of benchmarking and found out that my SLI setup wins 8 out of 10 benchmarks i kind of wish i had the 1gb version the distance between us would be even greater . That being said we have the same i7 920 cpu clocked to 3,5Ghz in all tests and the same motherboard . He has faster ram .

How ever the noise from my gaming rig is far superior :-D

12. craziplaya21

craziplaya21 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 ACX
    Did you not read his post at all? His motherboard will be this Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, which is what I am currently using.

13. adonay

adonay Member

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    same as i use . I think SLI was added later but you have to flash the bios to use it "one of the first patches".

14. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    The board there is my old board, I mentioned in my post I am upgradign to a new build and I am getting a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R which I have been assured supports SLi.

@CoreyPL what other cooler would you recommend? I went with that one as my supplier is limited on what they can get, and I cannot order online due to having no credit card nor a bank account :( I wanted to go with Zalman, but they cannot get them so I went with the best i could see at there store :( Plus they are actually building it for me, as sadly after having some illness last year I am not as steady with my hands as I used to be in order to build it myself, they are building it for me FOC but all the components come with their own warranty, with a 12mth RTB if anything major goes wrong.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Get 1 480. Some games still have multi-gpu issues yet if you ever need more power you can get another one.

16. gor1l1a

gor1l1a Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked
    I say buy the 480. It has the most "upgradability." You can always add more gtx 480's. If you guy two gtx 460's, that's it. With the 480 you can have up to three of them on that board. Plus if you have 1 card you won't have any multi gpu headaches.

17. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Depends what your store has to offer. Remember, that every store has a supplier of its own, so they in reality can offer more than they have on the shelf. Ask them what models they have from manufacturers like: Thermalright, Noctua, Scythe, Prolimatech, Cogage, Xigmatek, ThermoLab, Titan or CoolerMaster. Of course more high end part of their offer :) Corsair H50 or new H70 will work very well and will be silent as well.

Check some reviews and youtube videos of the ThermalRight cooler - this model is really not so great. And turbine fan design prevents you form swapping it in case the original one gets damaged or worn out. Mediocre performance won't allow to OC your CPU to decent levels.

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm, I'm actually in a simular situation thinking hard about getting either 2x 465's Gigabyte ( seems to have the 2nd best aftermarket cooler MSI frozr II seems to be the best but costs alot more ) and OC them to 850 on core 1700 memory or one 480 GTX.

The culrpit here is pritty much SLI scaling and driver issues VS the over the top heat and noise from the 480 GTX.

Two heavily OCed 465s at clocks near 850/1700 is gonna crush a single 480 but only where SLI scales close to x1.9 and they will run quieter and cooler vs a single 480 wich I doubt you can OC at all due to heat.

Looking at my own e-tailers the 465's are also cheaper and cost the same as the 460s so thats why I'm looking towards them and not the 460s as you are.

19. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Remember that GTX465 is based on GF100 chipset - this power hog will drain 200W in stress, so two of them will manage to eat 400W. Comparing to 250W TDP of GTX480 you do the math which setup will emit more heat.

GTX460 is based on GF104 chipset, which is more power friendly. 1GB version with 256bit memory bus has TDP of 160W. Plus they OC like hell - much better than GF100 based cards. Read Guru3D review - GTX465 has the performance of GTX460 768MB model. 1GB GTX460 is already faster than GTX465. That's why GTX465 now costs the same as GTX460 - because people lost interest in GTX465 - noisier, consumes more power, emits more heat.

20. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well you better read the reviews abit more carefully before you draw such conclusions.

The 460 is a slightly snipped 465 based on the 104 chip rather then the 100 chip.

The 465 will always be faster then a 460 given they operate on the same clocks.

Volt modded 465 and volt modded 460 will run quite hot around 85-90 degrees probably if you push them to 830-850 on core (from 600 mhz ), wich I seen tests indicate both are capable of. The higher the clocks are on the 465 the more it will benefit from the OC due to more CC's compared to the 460.

The 465 emmits more heat yes, it is also a little bit faster, and it benefits abit more from Ocing, talking a few fps's here nothing mayor.

The 465 with a nice custom fan from gigabyte, msi, asus etc wouldn't be more noisy then a 460 with the same solution :)..

At the same price I would pick the 465 every time, rather have 5 fps more then 3-4 degrees cooler on 100% load.