44.03 on fx5500

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by igrecbv, Feb 23, 2010.

1. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Hi,

Is there any way to make the 44.03 work on a fx5500 card?I tried to modify the .inf file of the driver like in the sticky thread but failed miserably:(.Also i've seen on other sites(or maybe here,don't remember) that you can only make the driver detect the video card but the games won's run on it.Is that true?

Thanks in advance

2. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    What's so special about 44.04? Just use the latest driver.

3. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    I only play counter strike these days,and buying
    a new pc isn't one of my priorities...so i have to squeeze the max from my fx5500.44.03 is the best driver for counter strike that's why i won't install the latest drivers:p

4. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    well if you are talking about cs 1.6 and not css then any driver should be enough because first half-life engine is very very old and can be handled easily by a 5500.

Anyway you can have look here:
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

This will generate custom .inf file but your graphic card is only supported by 57.64 or higher version.

44.04 seems to be very old. I could be wrong but most of the time you can make a recent driver version compatible with older hardware but the opposite is not true.

5. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Yes its 1.6 i'm talking about and i observed a big difference between the latest driver and 56.72 which i am using right now,but still i have the same fps that i had with an fx5200 128mb/64bit(44.03 driver).No luck with the custom inf but thanks a lot for your reply.

6. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    The Fx5500 is basically a slightly overclocked Fx5200 I used to have that card in 2004, I remember that it handled CSS and CS just fine.
    The fx5500 is about 5% faster than the Fx5200, so you shouldn't notice a difference.

7. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Well i remember having 100 fps constantly but nowadays they messed up the game with all those updates.I have worse performance in spite the fact that i overclocked the processor and the video card.
    Kind of makes me wonder what kind of chip the fx series cards have if there is basically no difference between fx5200 128mb/64bit and fx5500 256mb/128bit.
    They just put more memory and a bigger memory bus for nothing else then marketing and an excuse to charge more money for the same performance.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    And what are the performance now? What is your current screen refresh rate?

Some engines (not sure about half-life) are very sensitive to RAM timings. Have you increased those or decrease the RAM freq to be able to overclock your CPU?

Are you also sure that the optimizations part of the driver are in the same state as the one you used with your fx5200? (Default states are not necessarily the same)

9. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Everything is the same as when i was using the fx5200.The differences come from the video card itself.The fx5200 was overclocked at 301(core)/470(memory) mhz and the fx5500 is only capable of 301/400 mhz.I haven't done anything with ram,i only increased the cpu frequency,no voltage changes either(i don't know very much about oc and from what i read my sempron is pretty much capped at 2.1 ghz).Driver setting are the same, everything set on high performance, no vsync, 100 hz.

10. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Would be interesting to see what could be the difference if you revert to your CPU clk to default to compare apple to apple.

Because as far as I know, only nvidia chipsets are able to unlinked RAM/FSM frequencies (and that must be specified). Are you using an nforce chipset on your motherboard?

Otherwise, touching the FSB clock will affect the RAM clock by a certain ratio (3/2 or 5/4 most of the time).
    If you do not look at what the BIOS is doing, then increasing the FSB clock will make the RAM using a faster clock and then the timings may be increased a lot to insure stability but performance can be lower than expected.

Regarding the VRAM, even if the clock is lower, you said that the bus size is doubled compare to the 5200 so your current card should be faster.

Then regarding driver version, I would be very surprise that from the 44.03 to a 57.xx there is a huge difference.
    Based on my experience the max difference I saw from one driver version to another was around 10%.

But each system is different, so... :)

11. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    I have an AMD VIA motherboard so it is possible my RAM timings are changed but still, first time i overclocked i could see a significant boost of performance(about 10-15 fps more and also fps would not drop that much when multiple enemies were in front of me).Performance improved after overclock there is no doubt about this and if this made my RAM slower i don't care, it's still better than before.
    Regarding the card, i still can't believe that the crappiest fx5200(128/64) has the same performance in cs as the fx5500(256/128) and i can only blame the drivers for this.I even gave away my old fx5200 thinking that fx5500 won't have problems with cs 1.6.
    About the drivers, the only issue is optimization.Every driver that comes up is optimized for newer games.If you compare 44.03 with 56.72 in a newer game i'm sure the newer driver would be best. For example nfs most wanted and carbon wouldn't even work on 44.03, the image was blurry and in carbon colors weren't rendered correctly.
    Anyway i'm still searching for a 44.03 based custom driver that would work on my card or any type of driver that is optimized for old games like cs 1.6

12. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
  13. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Already tried but didn't work out:(
    Also i'd apreciate if one of the moderators could rename the thread from 44.04..... to 44.03...

14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Done. :)

15. XcroN

XcroN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    My advice: Use the 93.71 one they ae better for GeFore FX Series from my eXp with these drivers at the time (FX 5200)

16. igrecbv

igrecbv Member

GPU:
    gtx 560 se 1gb
    Thank you i'll try it :)

17. Hlafordlaes

Hlafordlaes Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Under XP, the last driver I used for the FX5500 was 175.19. Does not require a modified inf file to recognize the card. Best performance was with 71.20c.