436.15 WHQL GeForce Game Ready Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia is working with the developers to fix that

The implementation of hdr was pre-nvidia fixing an issue that caused incorrect metadata to be sent from application to screen.

2. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Can you avoid the installation on Geforce Experience on 436.15?

3. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yes.

4. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Only if you know the secret password.

5. IronRush

IronRush Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Ultra
    So good to be true. Let's see.

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

Looking forward to the Digital Foundry performance review. Dictator answered that DLSS warrants analysis in a separate review from the core RTX review:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/control-pc-performance-thread.137471/page-12#post-23996786

7. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    What I usually do is to extract all the files into a folder, once I do that, I remove all the subfolders inside but: Display.Driver, NVI2 and PhysX and then I modify the setup.cfg file.
    I go to the very end of the file and delete this 3 lines:
    < file name="$ {{EulaHtmlFile}} " / >
    < file name="$ {{FunctionalConsentFile}} " / >
    < file name="$ {{PrivacyPolicyFile}} " / >
    Once saved I run the setup.exe and voila.
    I got these instructions from another user in this same forum :)

abula likes this.
  8. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Please fill out the driver feedback form so we can look into this and include the before and after FPS you were getting:
    https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

9. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We are looking into this. It is specific to software ray tracing (Pascal).

10. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Did you fill out the driver feedback form?
    https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

Does it occur when running the benchmark also?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can make a prediction. He used 4k. Which arguably is a better use of DLSS, but with RT on even I can't do 1440p above 30 FPS. A lower resolution is required, RT is directly tied to your resolution, which is why NVIDIA wants you to use DLSS with RT. I know he's using a 2080 Ti, not a 2070 like myself, but I would still argue that if he used a 1800p resolution with some sharpening, DLSS couldn't keep up.
    I know what I can see. To my native 1440p image, a simple 1080p upscale looks much better than DLSS (which only offers 720p and 960p. Both look horrible). 960p DLSS and regular old 1080p upscale perform about the same.

I sure hope NV can find a better use for those tensor cores for us consumers. I've had my 2070 since launch, and while RT has been a blast, DLSS looks like a solution looking for a problem.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  12. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Thanks. I filed a bug to see if we can reproduce this.

13. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We have notified the developer. I am sorry but I do not have any other updates.

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I wouldn't expect the Control review to be any different than their normal performance reviews, which use a variety of different cards.

The DLSS fps discrepancy between the NV Control guide and Digital Foundry Control performance review should be interesting.

[​IMG]

15. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    DX12 crash Metro Exodus wen GFE overlay is on.

16. uggis007

uggis007 Member

GPU:
    2x2080ti
    Does control have SLI functionality? Now its off topic but just curios. And what does you guys think, is it necessary to update the driver from 436.02?

17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    So everything you said above is incorrect. Sharpening has nothing to do with anything that might be in or "out of focus". You're confusing sharpening with Depth of Field (DOF).

Also, sharpening isn't always full scene, there are depth-buffer (note depth-buffer, not Depth of Field) sharpening shaders that adjust sharpening strength based on the depth of the scene. You can utilise these with Reshade right now.

Regardless, similarly DLSS has no knowledge of "what developers always want". DLSS operates at a substantial lower resolution and attempts to upscale while re-creating missing information in the upscale by utilising an AI-trained model that's been fed hundreds (if not thousands) of in-game scenes from a higher resolution. In theory, this should provide an decent approximation of rendering at a higher resolution, but with a reduced performance footprint. In practice, it's highly dependent on how the AI model has been trained, and this will be different for each and every game. Some games it may work well, others it will be terrible. It is not a silver bullet and never will be. It can never compete with actually rendering at a higher resolution (this is important for the next paragraph, below), and the returns are diminishing the higher the distance from the DLSS resolution you go.

This is to say, as the Hardware Unboxed video demonstrated, DLSS is less effective than instead running at a higher resolution than DLSS (but below native still, since the goal here is to gain performance) while using a sharpening filter to compensate for the loss of detail by running at a lower resolution. As their testing found, this produces much clearer visuals (see the video -- it's night and day) for a similar performance boost compared to DLSS.

Yep. And as the video shows, DLSS is noticeably worse for a similar performance gain.

*facepalm*

Ohmer likes this.
  18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've only ever seen Alex test rtx with his personal 2080 Ti. Doesn't matter though, the performance should be consistent. That Nvidia graph is pretty accurate for my GPU. But it seems the point of contention for Alex and it isn't performance, it's visual fidelity.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I don't think you are much different than most with regard to perceived "visual fidelity" as interpreted by game reviewers. Probably why it's best to look at more than one review before drawing conclusions.

I tend to stay way from reviews sites like Hardware Unboxed who have had NDA/censorship issues with Nvidia. I take their reviews with a "grain of salt", and prefer reading from neutral sites less likely to have a "bone to pick".

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @pharma
    Or just look at the many screenshots yourself. Or try it out like I did. You don't need someone to tell you how good or bad something looks.
    My opinion is my opinion. I like hw unboxed and DF just fine. But I know how to judge these things on my own.