-----

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Worther, Apr 26, 2018.

?

What, in your opinion, is really the culprit?

1. Hardware (write in the comments below)

2. Software (write in the comments below)

3. Games themselves

4. NVIDIA Driver

5. Windows OS

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    ------

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  2. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Wow you took a lot of time to make this post.
    Setup MSI Afterburner to show the frametimes as a graph. Then record a gamepaly session until you get a frame drop(how often are those BTW ?) do you play your games from the SSD or from the HDD. What about malware ?
    this is how it should look like.

3. Undesirable

Undesirable Guest

GPU:
    Liquid Devil 6900XT
    When I first switch on my computer and start playing BF1, it's fine for a number of maps. After leaving the game and playing something else and coming back again, it starts stuttering horribly as well as 5 sec pauses randomly (the long pauses are not very often). It is most noticeable when running around to new areas on the map. Other games develop this stutter too, such as Kingdom Come and Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus. I have tried 3 different computers with the same symptoms, and the only device that has remained the same throughout all of them is the GTX 1080. Originally I was on Intel 4770K, then I switched to Ryzen 1700, now I have Threadripper 1950X. So that's 3 different chipsets and all stutter. Only Threadripper has the long 5 second pauses though.

I'm using a GTX 1080, 32 Gigs of RAM @ 3200MHz and 16 - core threadripper @ 4GHz. CPU and GPU are watercooled. Unparking cores doesn't make a difference, neither does any other basic tweak. I haven't tried clearing the standby memory periodically yet though.

When I first fired up Heaven benchmark on my original computer (4770K), I couldn't get a score to match my GPU's capabilities. I believe that was because of stutter which affected my average framerate throughout the benchmark. After I ran it several times, I was able to obtain a decent score, it seemed to be just down to random chance whether I got the stutter or not.

4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Try with Vsync on and report back.

5. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    VSync helps a bit for GTA 5 only but not completely.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    post an Afterburner screenshots. Also try the other games. Also try disabling Vsync and limit fps to say 60.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Any news?

8. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    There's so many variables changed its kind of hard to know what may have cancelled out the possible solution at any attempt.

Thinking of how frame drops can happen, some symptoms are:

1. GPU memory is being used up and falling back to system memory

2. Hard drive is thrashing from virtual memory being used (or in general depending on its speed)

3. Rendering was operating on a CPU thread/core that went into a parking state
    (rare, but older game engine's scheduling can cause the brief delay before switching to an active thread/core)

4. Double-Buffering Vsync in use

5. Power limit by CPU or GPU is being reached (or unstable power delivery to any component)

6. Poorly coded application

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It's definitely not 1&2, he's on a 11gb 1080ti. It's also not a vsync issue because he ran without vsync.

10. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    TLDR: Issues almost disappear with AMD GPU! I assume it's 100% NVIDIA driver or card failure.

I've tested games with AMD Radeon HD7770 GPU.
    I'll be write Update 5 tomorrow with more details.
    If you want some info before full Update 5 change-log — you can check MSI AB .hml logs recorded with AMD.

Hardware Monitor logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1riQbrv0E7QhWGAoXxnlmvmkmmdWMRDb7

Important Edit:
    I have already returned to NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti and tested Team Fortress 2. Everything was smooth and without spikes BUT at the end of last log recording frametime started jumping every 0.1-0.5 sec to constant 18.7 FPS! Something really goes wrong.

Team Fortress 2 logs (GTX 1080 Ti):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GgXC-kbaqWJO8WBgn5T4HdH5oOqT2YuB

Extreme spikes at the end of logging (screenshot):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZZISlFClcQMHjSmAcZu9GeSgbxAuIl2p

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

11. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Do you hear me? Can you help me by checking the post with AMD GPU results above?

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Only way to be absolutely sure its not a GPU problem is to install the GPU in another PC and give it a test run.

13. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    UPDATE 5

I've already done all the necessary tests in new Windows 10 1803 (17134.1) Build. There are no performance improvements even with new "Ultimate Performance" power plan.

UEFI Main Settings:
    - BIOS 1301 update
    - "Sync All Cores" at [47]
    - XMP at 3,200 MHz
    - PCIE3_4 and M.2_2 slots at X4 speed
    - Custom fans curve and disabled unnecessary EXT FANS
    - Disabled SpeedShift/SpeedStep, C-states, Spread Spectrum, Fast Boot and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement

Windows 10 1803 global Google Drive folder with all results: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VI-D62fRZ2AfNZ2NZqKtFXAEoM5tibdJ
    MSI Afterburner Hardware Monitor games logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z_EPdYovV_swrAm3El-gRJ87RZtrXvq3
    Windows and other settings: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14a6vfGqZhDp6z6V-CFoBdpHR161pXKy8
    All diagnostic info including GPUView Merged.etl trace file, MSINFO32 and Speccy snapshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h3oCMaw5_odOSO1972Tqn6_RwYZz6vy3

If you can or know how to correctly analyze all the data, please, help me find the culprit of these frametime spikes and stuttering. Thank you a lot!

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Maybe you could upload a video for us all to see exactly how bad this stuttering is. Because some games, if you look at frametimes, you'll see spikes and it can happen for many reasons. It could be due to assets loading for example and many other reasons.

Record some gameplay at 60fps and upload it somewhere and we'll have a look. Looking at frametime spikes is one thing, seeing it in action is another.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And what happens if you play without UPS? I've seen a few that had stutters, turns out it was UPS fault.

Also keep those c- states and eist, turbo, at auto default.. no need to disable..

I have GTA5 too and never experienced any sporadic stutter, ok only if I had bad cpu OC, it eventually froze later. I play only GTA online though..

I use this in nvcpl gta5 profile (nvinspector)
    fastsync
    frames to render, auto
    ingame AF off, forced 16xAF in driver.
    power: prefer max perf.
    threaded optimization on

ingame
    extra 120fps RTSS limit on top.

idk about withcer3, but it could be connection with hair, try lowering its multisample or disable nv hair..

Maybe experiment with nvcpl profile a bit,

frames - auto or 2
    prefer max perf
    threaded opt. on or off
    texture quality - quality
    disable ingame AF, try driver forced and extra AF optimization
    test fast sync, but use a fps cap e.g. 144 or 120., so its really smooth.

16. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    This.

17. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Will record the video with my phone because I don't want to add extra load on the system using video-cap software.

1. Nope. I don't have UPS now. UPS 100% isn't the culprit.

2. Tried to keep these settings on Auto & Disabled but there were no changes.

3. I play GTA 5 SP only.
    You haven't any spikes because of FastSync enabled. I also almost don't notice any issues with VSync or FPS cap. Syncs create frame buffer which helps to eliminate issues.

4. I tried to set the lowest possible settings in TW3, no changes.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Cool, just make sure it's nice a steady, ideally if you have a tripod, mount the phone on that and make sure the focus is crisp. Also, make sure you're showing frametimes in the overlay and that the overlay is large enough to read.

19. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    got it. Will try.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Your UPS is too small.