$400 andoid tablet

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Denny85, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Which one should we buy i found 3 16gb tablets on Amazon for $400.

Toshiba Thrive
    Acer Iconia
    ASUS Eee Pad Transformer

don't post iPad already have one.We decided to get android for my fiancee because having two identical tabs is like having two identical cars parked on your driveway.

ohh yeah Dont recommend Xoom or Galaxy.. We dont need fancy 3g/4g stuff.. She'll be on campus it's wi-fi everywhere anyway

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ASUS Eee Pad Transformer

3. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    please post your thoughts.. why is Asus better than those two?

4. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    i did a bit of research and leaning towards Toshiba because it has full hdmi usb and sd ports

5. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    You can get a wifi version of the galaxy tab...

6. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    actually with tablets it would make more sense to have two of the same - apps could be used on both, better compatibility, etc...

For the android tablets, having used all of those, the Galaxy is the best by far.

7. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none

galaxy has no hdmi.

I think i'mm gonna stop by bestbuy tonight.. Still think Toshiba is the one.. I like the fact that it has full SD and hdmi..

8. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    went out to see tablets. Did not like the Toshiba tab it's too bulky and not stylish.. The transformer on the other hand is much cooler so is the acer. That Galaxy is might be the most sexiest tab ever! Even better than almighty iPad.. and i did not pay much attention to Xoom i dont why..

Will probably pick Asus

9. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    You can do video to your tv with the galaxy tab even without an hdmi port.

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Just something loosely related to this thread.

Amazon prolly has and iPad killer in the works.
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/231600411

But it's speculation it seems. It seems that Amazon is going to sell that device with negative profits and then make money with software. I dont know about release for that thing.

From those three. Asus EEE Transofrmer Pad with that dock/keyboard/extra battery thing (yes, costs more). Battery life from 9,5h -> 16h and physical keyboard. So, that dock is the main thing with EEE Transformer Pad, get it with this or buy something else (based on some Finnish reviews). One con with that Asus is that dual core cpu would need 500Mhz more for everything to be perfectly smooth.

11. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    Have a Xoom, wife has Galaxy Tab, both are available in wifi. Galaxy is by far the lightest and sleekest. Xoom is a "Google Experience Device" and usually gets updates first such as 3.2.

Most still do not have 3.2 update. It will probably be one of the first to get ICS when it comes out in October as well. Has SD slot and micro-HDMI. Not to mention it probably has one of the best support forums. http://www.xoomforums.com/

In short, I've played with the Sammie Tab, and also played with the Asus Transformer quite a bit and find my Xoom to be the best build out of all of them. Out of the 3 I mentioned, the transformer seems the cheapest built to me.

If I had to do it over again, I still go with the Xoom without a doubt. If I had to go with one of the 3 you mentioned, I'd probably would go for the Transformer.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Own the ASUS Transformer, after watching comparison videos and having had the transformer for around 3 weeks, I would choose the transformer again.

Haven't done it yet, but many people have overclocked this from 1Ghz to 1.6Ghz+

Sticking with stock for now while updates are regularly being pushed though.

Honeycomb 3.2

13. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    i have an lg g2x phone that uses the same processor as the tablets. and i can easily overclock my phone to 1552 mhz. it is also doable on the tablets as well. so if you want to increase the speed for more smoothness you can do it.

14. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1060
    i would look at the xoom also. it is a nice machine. the best really is subjective because people like different things. the asus is nice because of the dock. the galaxy is nice cause it is the smallest and lightest.
    also toshiba just announced another tablet for android that will be smaller than the galaxy. and use a 1.4ghz processor if i remember correctly.

15. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I have the transformer, it is very nice. Once rooted it works great and they keyboard dock is worth its wieght in gold.

16. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    yeah will see.. xoom sell for 449 on amazon which makes it pretty tempting!

Will probably order xoom or transformer.. or even galaxy next week.

We came to conclusion that those extra inputs/outputs like usb/hdmi and sd cards are not that really important to her

17. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    You say not important like you totally DONT WANT THEM ON HER TABLET kind of way. Get the best bang for the buck but dont fear if it has those ports you dont want! You aint gotta use them!

18. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    yeah you're right turns out those ports are not that important. We both have hdmi on our laptops anyway.