4 R9 290s and 2 7950s in Windows 8.1 Help Please

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tageeboy, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tageeboy

tageeboy New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Hello fellow 3d lovers. I have been bashing my head against this issue for a week solid now and actually put my 2 brand new 7950s up on ebay today out of final frustration. Maybe someone can help and I can pull the auction item.

So I have a fresh Windows 8.1 X64 install on a mining rig. I am using an ASRocks BTC Pro MB with powered PCI risers. I have the 4 290s running fine with the catylst 13.11 beta 9.5 drivers. Sometimes one of the 4 cards will max the fan at 100% for no apparent reason and it remains that way until I power down the PC and reboot. Restart has no effect. So the ugly....

I bought 2 Sapphire 7950 GPUs from NewEgg to add to the system for more power. I added a second PSU (1250 Thermaltake) to the current SilverStone Stryder 1500 watt PSU. The 290s run on the Stryder without issue, I used the Thermaltake to power just the 2 7950s and any future cards I add to the system. No issues there. But when I install the cards and boot up I often get hanging boots or the screen is horribly pixelated / unreadable. Several cold reboots and I get the system up. The cards are either not detected (50% of the time) or they are detected and crash when Windows tries to install the drivers. I read that drivers beyond 11 from AMD don't work with more than 4 cards in windows systems. So if I install older drivers teh 7950s work great but the old drivers do not include 290 drivers so those cards crap out. I have tried and tried to fix this (10 hrs a day after work for 7 days literally) but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in a bind, I put all this hardware on my credit card and planned to pay it off using profits from mining litecoins. Well I am able to make the payment thanks to running with only 4 cards but I really want to get the other 2 running so I can make the KHS I had planned for. I would be willing to pay someone with Litecion if they can help me resolve this issue. Or if anyone knows of a post / faq that explains how to resolve this I would be most in debt to you (not quite as in debt as I am to Discover and Visa right now). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

I have not flashed or modified the hardware in any way so its all sterile hardware / environment. Please save me :)

2. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    All "miners" should be shot for pushing the price of graphics cards up.....

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    can't help you, but from my experience the 290's don't play nice with 7950...I was getting hardware errors, when I attempted to run 290 with 7950 whilst mining

4. tageeboy

tageeboy New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    I am afraid you are right. I think it has to do with the drivers. From what I hear the latest drivers only allow 4 GPU in windows 8 but the older ones were ok with 4 plus. I may go to linux but it will be new for me as I am an old school MCSE and Linux is so far from what I know :)

5. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    To run more than 5 GPUs on a single mainboard you need the 13.6 drivers. They are the last AMD driver to supports more than 4 GPUs.

I could be wrong on the driver version, it has neen a while.

I used to run 5 R7950s on a Gigabyte UD5 mainboard with all powered risers.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Don't be mad because you are not keen enough to make some extra money on the side.

Cryptocurrency mining is not the only reason for the price increases, it is only part of the equation.

7. tageeboy

tageeboy New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290

And the demand for online gaming has had no impact on the current price rises. Not to mention that virtual currency is the first real option that has come onto the world financial market scene that may protect the average person from the manipulation of the current world currencies.

Lets think for a moment about the value a miner adds vs. the value a gamer adds.... Consumer buying hardware to play games hopefully during their idle time vs. someone using the same hardware and technology to generate a future economic staple... Good luck with getting your next prestige level on COD....

8. tageeboy

tageeboy New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Thanks Seaplane Pilot. I am starting to think my issue may be the mixing of the different cards. In theory it should not matter what hardware is mixed together but I have read on several forums of others with similar issues. I suspect this may be due to the drivers not playing well together. I am trying to keep a positive outlook on this whole situation. I have avoided Windows 8 since I tested the initial beta releases for my company and hated it. I never really gave it a chance before I nixed it. Now that I have spent so much time with it over the last week I am really starting to like it :) And being a Microsoft engineer I have avoided Linux with all my heart. Now I am working with a few of the distros that run off a USB drive and finding them quite interesting. If nothing else I will be able to start doing some virtual currency trading soon and that is another new area :)

I will probably get it figured out and the following week an ASIC product for Litecoins will be released :)

Safe flying and thanks for the info.

9. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Word of the wise, do not fall for the ASIC Scrypt just yet. Alpha Tech is about the only place to be claiming they have the tech. A bunch of people on the bitcointalk forums are weary about the company, could smoke and mirrors vaporwear.

Also if ASIC scrypt miners do surface I bet LTC will be forked to avoid the ASIC scrypt devices.

When mining with different types of GPUs in one rig depending on your miner software such as cgminer
    would need a diff batch file per gpu in seperate folders.

I never messed with the config files but I have run 7950s and 7970s in the same rig just using different instences of cgminer.

Good luck!

10. tageeboy

tageeboy New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    I called them along with a 2 other companies who claim to have ASIC in development. Each had a great pitch but I am not giving anyone 500 dollars for a product they have yet to actually have working and viewable to the public consumers. Now if they had one or two prototypes that were working flawlessly and I could visit the shop to observe them in action and the 500 deposit was for reproduction costs then I would consider it. But even then, ASIC sort of blows the coin mining up for everyone else. Oh well, its a very fast paced game. I noticed Butterfly labs dropped the price of their "in dev" 600 GHS ASIC from almost 7k down to 2k and change in the last 1.5 months.

I finally figured out my situation and have a partial solution. So best I can tell is that Windows 8 is limited to 6 total GPU. I have all 6 cards detected in Device Manager but 1 always has an error 43 (can't start). If I disable any other card that is working and then refresh hardware the 43 goes away and the card is fine. I can do this with any card and basically move the error to any card but always having a total of 5 working cards. I think this is either due to the possible 6 limit or it may be due to memory addresses or something. I also have an on board GPU that I can turn off but not remove. This is an issue because CGMiner lists off 6 video cards I can select from, always one of them being the on board GPU which is useless. So I am going to try to sell these 2 7950s and buy another 290 so I can have the highest power out of my 5 open slots.

Thanks for the info and discussion. You got me thinking about different ideas and that helped me track down the issue. Amazing what another set of eyes can do for a complex issue. Talk to ya later, Steve