1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 PSUs in 6 months

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Captain Oats, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    I killed 3 PSUs in the past 6 months with the rig on the left:

1) Corsair CMPSU-750TXEU - 750W (last for 3 months, then started to reset the computer every few minutes)

2) Chieftec CFT-650-14C - 650W (it was living about 2 days, after this one I immidately got tagan)

3)Tagan u33 600w (after 2 months it started to whine like crazy)

RMA process in Poland is just creepy. I was waiting for TAGAN about 4 weeks, and I feel that I will wait 2 more weeks for new one(want to buy SilverStone Olympia 700W, I don't believe that they'll fix tagan). The benchmarks are fine, and everything works fine until suddenly, one day the psu dies. If I install new one pc works for another 2 months and the psu dies...I was wondering if one of my components may kill the psu, even if the benchmarks are fine? Or I am just very unlucky :/

BTW from my calculations the pc eats a little more than 500W so brand 600W should be enough..correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    Might be the power from wall socket.

3. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    But my old comp Athlon x2 3800@5000 + 8600gt, single disk, simple mobo, dvd and a few fans worked fine on 3yrs old chieftec 350W in the same place, connected to the same wall socket. This chieftec still works fine with my second system: x2 3800@stock,7600gs, single disk, dvd drive, and an old msi mobo.

4. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    Yeah, but does needed half the energy of you current rig. Anyway get a UPS (vith VR function) or at least get an individual voltage regulator, see if that helps.

5. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    Alright, thanks for fast response. Just one more thing: Does the RMA process take so much time in your country? Especially I'd like to know how is it in US and UK.

6. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    RMA for me with my motherboard was quick and easy. Didnt take long at all.

7. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    yeah that answers his question dont it...

My last rma a few years back took just over a week (7-8days)

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    your circuit cant handle the power draw and fluctuates? its been so long since i was an electrician, i cant remember half the ****. i think its your house.

9. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    Yeah...looks like only here in Poland the customer is considered as a necessary evil...uhm I'll try to connect as little as possible to one socket and see if that helps, maybe I'll look for some ups.

Edit:

From what i've read the minimal limit of power draw from one socket here is 3,7kW. Standard iron has 1-1,5 kW power draw...my comp + lcd can't draw more than that, it's impossible. I'm not electritian, but I'm sure the iron eats more than 1kW and it's not a problem.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  10. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Im an electrician tho based in the US but I can tell you IF its a voltage surge or power drop then its coming from your energy supplier to your home/apartment. I assume your running on 220amps over there? Hard to swallow 3 PS of that output bellying up so fast, my advice is place a surge protecter between the wall plug and the PC and make sure its a hi end one not a cheapee. I use them on my PC and my HDTV even here we regularly receive power spikes. The transformer at the pole dosent adjust for the line input only output so the input must maintain a stable voltage. Running a power station is quite a task just to maintain power at the same rate 24/7. That sys. you now are running does pull a lot more juice then your old one did, sounds to me like the power at the wall lowered a few times straining the PS verses a spike probably. Hopefully you arent OCing anything, at this point that would be a big no-no....................Bad part is if its a power drop the surge protector is useless. Do you never notice the lites flickering? If so thats the indication right there of a voltage drop occuring. Ive seen it here during bad storms etc, when it happens I shut down my PC & TV always. Hope you have better luck with the next PS.

11. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    "Lites" hmm did you mean lights? No I don't, I just burned an old 300w psu many years ago here during a bad storm...luckly it didn't take my athlonXP2000 or anything else..it was my first computer build on my own. I'll try next psu, the funny thing is that chieftec psu died after 2 days.

12. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    As someone previously mentioned, you might consider investing in a good UPS. This will ensure good stable power to your PSU and I am sure the circuitry in the UPS would be able to handle power instabilities better than a PSU could.

13. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    it could possible be the damps degree(dont know the right word sorry) in your house...

14. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Try running a dedicated circuit to your computer and surge-protector. If your power supplies (PSU) are NOT getting enough power than that can also burn them out. The inside circuitry will overheat and burn-out the capacitors. Try testing the circuit with a voltage/amp tester and see if there is any extreme fluctuation or change in the current . You can also check your PSU separately and check for overheating because this is usually a sign something is wrong.

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    If it's bad AC mains power then it's more likely to be spikes than drops I think because those are active PFC units that can easily handle down to like 100V. So yeah get a surge suppressor...even if you have one get a new one. Surge suppressors have a limited lifespan and most of them don't have an indicator LED to show that it's gone. Basically the joule rating of a surge suppressor is it's lifespan and if it absorbs that in a lot of little spikes or one big one it's the same result...it can't handle anymore.

The thing is that all those PSU's also have a surge suppressing MOV too so I dunno...

16. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Why not have an electrician check it out?

17. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080

LMAO!! classic :)

I returned the PSU you see in the specs, courier picked it up monday morning and the new PSU was back the following tuesday morning, this was on manufacturer warranty not store, shipped across Canada.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Could be voltage spikes, could be voltage drops....either are very possible. Best solution is to either have an electrician check it...or buy a good voltage regulator. Most brand name UPS's have voltage regulators built in. APC uses cheap voltage regulators on their consumer models, so either buy commercial or avoid them. Mine didn't even last 2 years....