1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 hard drives to choose from ! Which one?? :S

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tHe_HyBrId, Jun 24, 2007.

1. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    As the title suggests, I am looking for another hard drive, the four brands that I would be happy to buy from are Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung and Hitachi.

From some of the reviews I have read about the drives, I have seen them to all be very even, so I would like more information from you guys please :)

I would like how the drives are rated to be from these categories, with the first being most important.

1. General speed (Random seek time, boot up time, aver read / write etc)

2. Temperature (The cooler the better when working of course)

3. Noise (Not as important as the above two, but silence would be nice)

Here are the hardrives :

>Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 5000AAKS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-120-WD

>Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-084-SE

>Samsung SpinPoint T HD501LJ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-036-SA

>Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 NCQ 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-030-HI&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=768

Thanks in advanced for all of your opinions :)

HyBrId

EDIT : I forgot Hitachi first time round..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Seagate all the way.

3. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I agree, seagate.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    Western Digital.

5. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    2 votes to 1 at the moment, but I have had issues with Seagate before, my current Seagate from my old machine has a more than average amount of BSOD's (not ram, tested to the neck with memtest and diag test) and usued to claim Delay Write Failed VERY frequently in xp before (I'm on Vista x64)..

Thank you for all of (your opinions?) the advice so far, but there have been no reasons given for your choices, which I'm afraid to say isn't very helpful to me at all...but please by all means keep the votes comingh, whilst also please give reasons :)

HyBrId

6. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    samsung :D

always samsung, thats the only hdd manufacturer ive had that is silent, fast, reliable and cool.

ive had a seagate, WD and maxtor fail on me, the maxtor went on fire :O

had a 160gb samsung for about 2-3 years now and still perfect and have 2x 250gb aswell.

7. Shaman391

Shaman391 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 66GT 128mb@600/1320 1.6ns
    1st place Western Digital, then Seagate. Hitachi at the end.

8. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I have heard that Samsung are supposed to be very silent (How can I hear silence lol?) and cool, but have also heard they lag slightly behind WD and Seaget in speed, also Hitachi. Maxtor are just BLEH, no comment.

Bare in mind that I'm looking for a 500gb hrad drive though, unless I could get 2x200gb for faster gameageing and the same price but then I would have sata cables everywhere and poorer airflow because I have a hdd cage in my Thermaltake Kandalf, with a fan in the front of it..

I have read that the new WD AAKS hard drives are supposed to be very quick, cool and reliable compared to the older KS which lags slight behind Seagate in most areas. I would love to have another Seagate, even though my current isn't in amazing condition, my other 200gb in my other pc is still good, although I need someone to re-enforce my thoughts.

Out of WD and Seagate:

1. Which is faster?
    2. Which is more reliable?
    3. Which is cooler?
    4. Which is quieter?

Thank you for all of your replies so far, I am hoping to get a hard drive or 2 ordered tonight so need more feedback please!! :D

Swaying between WD and Seagate at the moment, please make up my mind guys :p

HyBrId

9. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    The reason I said seagate is because they are the best for big drives, 500GB+.
    They use perpendicular recording which means they can store more data per unit area on the drive's platters, which means fewer platters, which means better performance and reliability.

But really WD, Seagate, Samsung and hitachi are all respectable hdd makers, although I find hitachi a bit expensive.

10. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

all those are soo good.

U wotn notice any difference. Id go Seagate Or Hitachi

:) VERYYYY good drives.

11. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Thank you for all of your replies, I really feel like I belong here after about my first year or so of helping and being helped :D I think I have decided to go with Seagate simply because they are such a well known, high credited brand. Don't get me wrong, in no particular order Samsung, Hitachi and Western Digital are probably all fantastic brands, but I guess it is just easier and less "hassling" to go with a brand that I know and have used for a lnog time.

Now to make sure it and the other parts come in time for my birthday on Monday July 2nd, don't forget that ;) :p I deserve it after my exams today :D

HyBrId

P.S. I'll be 15 :D:D