4.8ghz overclock 2600k

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Amdgameplayer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on the chip.
    Mine will just about do 4.8GHz but needs well over 1.46V and thats with water cooling!
    (water usually needs less volts / runs cooler)

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hey guys, just finished putting together my new i7 2600k system!

Haven't managed to overclock yet as settings keep going back to default even when hitting f10 and saving...

Even at the default 3.4ghz, it's quite a bit faster than my previous Phenom II 965 at 4ghz... :)

Could AMD player pleas guide me into overclocking as he has the same motherboard as me.

I just want 4.2ghz at the moment out of my 2600k, same mobo as yourself and the Thermaltake Frio OCK edition, temps are low 30's idle... :)

Here is a screenshot of my new windows score index, everything maxed apart from hard drive...

Thanks guys...

[​IMG]

3. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ssd's are not that expensive =\ and to be honest they are better investment than a processor (atleast how i look at it) get c300 in raid0 xD 700mb / sec reads FTW 7.9

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I agree main_shobbu but needed a LOT of hard disk space, unfortunately there is no such thing as a 1tb ssd drive... :(

If there were, I'd hate to see the price tag.. :)

Anyone any advice on a mild overclock to 4.2ghz? Need the EXACT settings in which to save in bios, quite different from AMD.

As I said before, my first time EVER going with intel. :)

Cheers guys.

5. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    for 4.2 you just need to change the mp to 42 and voltage to 1.3, test stability, if its ok, go down to 1.275 and then to 1.25

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've been doing that for the last hour, followed by hitting f10 to save, once computer boots up keeps going back to default 3.4ghz, pissing me off...

Why is it not saving my overclock, could something be disabling it or setting it back to default/power saver mode?

Coud someone please guide me step by step of what to do, I'm not too familiar with intel, only just upgraded yesterday. :D

Thanks Khalam.

My motherboard is the Asus PZ86-v-Pro should this help...

7. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    did you check with cpu-z while running something that will stress the cpu?

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    No, cpu-z is reading 1648mhz, multiplier x16 and bus speed 103, core voltage 1.000v

Why does my overclock keep going to defaults even when saving them in the bios?

9. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    disable speed step for me and the cstates and check again, if it goes down it means settings are not saving, if it stays its just the above that downclocks when not stressed enough

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats normal.
    Use the processor then check again.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I disabled speed step, did not find cstates anywhere...

I applied a multiplier of 42 and cpu ratio of 42x, cpu-z still reads 1633mhz, wtf??

Whatever I try and do it will go no higher than 3.4ghz...

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    The ONLY setting the bios saves would be the cpu votlage, I applied 1.3...

Trying to get 42x multiplier, no luck...

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats at idle.
    Use the processor and it speeds up.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Correct, I did indeed see it at one point read 4.2ghz after a game, then went back down to 3.4.

However, I would like a CONSTANT 24/7 clock speed of 4.2 where on computer settings, for example, it will read i7 2600k 3.4ghz @ 4.2ghz.

Thanks

15. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    May I ask why?

All that'll do is use vastly more power, produce heat and push needlessly much voltage through the processor.

You can achieve that by going into 'Advanced/CPU Configuration' and changing to the following settings.
    • Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology - 'Disabled'
    • CPU C1E - 'Disabled'
    • CPU C3 Report - 'Disabled'
    • CPU C6 Report - 'Disabled'
    That will disable power saving features but it's not something I'd recommend.

As for overclocking the only settings you should have to touch are found in 'AI Tweaker'. I'd use the following for 4.2GHz.
    • AI Overclock Tuner - 'Manual'
    • BCLK/PCIE Frequency - '100.0'
    • Turbo Ratio - '[By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS)]'
    • By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS) - '42'
    • Internal PLL Overvoltage - 'Disabled'
    If the auto voltage settings aren't enough, or even too much, you can manually adjust turbo voltage under 'AI Tweaker/CPU Power Management'.
    • Additional Turbo Voltage - '0.080' (Or whatever is required/enough.)

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Cheers Exodite, cpu-z finally reads 4.2ghz... You mentioned WHY I wanted a mild overclock, it was to boost my performance is Crysis 2... I'm playing it maxed @ 1920x1080, hardcore settings, 16X AA & a6X AF, there was slight lag, I figured a slight overclock should do the trick since Crysis loves a beefy cpu...

Why is it that in computer properties it still reads it as being 3.4 when it's 4.2?

I'm now running the intel burn test to make sure it's stable...

It's been a few minutes and the temps have gone upto 66, no higher, does this seem good or bad? The average temps ae 60-62...

The stress level was set to high and to run 5 times...

CPU fans speeds are around 60% only... Any more then there's quite a bit of noise... :)

Here is the cpu-z screenshot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Ah no, my question were as to why you'd want to disable power savings mode. There's really no upside to doing so.
    Strictly speaking the processor isn't overclocked, 3.4GHz is still the top non-turbo multiplier.

With Sandy Bridge you're actually only increasing the maximum turbo multiplier, which is something Windows doesn't take into account when displaying properties for the processor.

You'll notice that while the stock i7 2600K runs at a turbo multiplier of 38 for single-core loads Windows only ever reports the processor as 3.4GHz.
    That seems fine to me.

I'm running between 60-65 degrees myself at 4.4GHz and 1.24V, with Prime95 on blend after about 30-40 mins. This with a Noctua NH-C14 using the ULV fan adapters (~750RPM).

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Cheers Exodite, I understand a little more about intel now!

It is indeed 4.2ghz as cpu-z says, but strange how the bios and computer properties only see it as 3.4...

My previous phenom 965 used to read 3.4ghz @ 4.0ghz in bios & in computer properties, guess intel is different.

So there is no way for windows to display the overclocked speed? It's no big deal though, just wanted to know...

I myself have the new Thermaltake Frio OCK edition, similar to the Noctua NH-D14 but when running at the maximum fan speed, it outperforms the noctua, only downfall is the 48db of noise... :)

My cpu fan speeds are set to 65% as any more would be pretty noisy...

19. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Well it's only the Sandy Bridge generation that do this, I suppose BCLK overclocking would still show in Windows. Perhaps.

Using the C-14 myself, the downblower, not the D-14. Also running fans at minimum speed to keep it silent. :)

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    As I felt I had a little more headroom for overclocking, I've set a cpu multiplier of 44x so 4.4ghz, left the voltage at 1.3 and will run a stress test to see if it's stable and the temperatures are acceptable...

What a great chip it is for overclocking though... :)

My old Phenom II 965 would just about get to 4,0ghz, any more it would bsod, 3.8ghz was much more comfortable for it...

Ok, at 4.4ghz & 1.3v, idle temps were the same, mid 40's....

Now I'm running the intel stress test, once again at high stress level and 10 runs...

Highest temps were no more than 69 celcius, an average of mid 60's...

Test passed and it seems very stable running at 4.4ghz at 1.3v...

Thanks for the assistance once again Exodite...

Here are 2 screens, one before and one just after the stress test...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]