1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3xF60 RAID0 = 3GB/s+ according to ATTO?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Mr.Joe, May 13, 2012.

1. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    Just out of curiosity I'm wondering if any one here can give me an explanation to these off-the-chart readings.

Been using the ATTO disk benchmark (2.47) before at the same system with success but now it doesn't seem to be all that valid for some reason.

And yes, other programs like AIDA64's read test and HD-Tunes all seem to read the right 550-700MB/s i'm supposed to be getting.

[​IMG]

(Think i managed my way around registering a ImageShack account by copying form the source code but i don't know if it's just temporarily working :p )

Any ideas? :)

Write caching is off, trim is recently optimized, the controller is the ICH10R (i think) and the strip size is 32KB

2. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    The numbers for atto are not off.

I have 4 corsair f3 60 gig ssd's going to a real raid card in raid 0

With kaspersky antivirus+firewall up and running, I got read of 2880 and write of 1780mbps.

3. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    How can you say the numbers aren't off?

There's no way in heck that three of these drives are capable of even handling more than 1GB/sec, none the less 3GB/s.

Or are you employing the antivirus is affecting the reported read/write speed?
    I did actually rather recently enable the NTFS compression function from windows disk configuration tool thing I remember now and I bet you you've got that enabled too!
    Only explanation I got so far; antivirus one hardly makes any sense :p

4. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    ok sparky, sit and listen...

1) 3 drives that can read and write @ 500 or more in a raid 0 with a raid card can achieve these numbers in atto test, clearly.

2) When drives are raided togather in 0, their maximum read and write speed goes up dramaticly.

3) when you have anti-virus up and firewall active, you are filtering the data through 2 seperate filters. ( This slows things down a lot!)

4) you should never use compression, it will significantly slow things down as all data must constatly be compressed or decompressed- a time consuming activity

5) By tell people I had antivus/firewall up and active is that with them down, I could probably get 20% or more boost in results.

6) The reason I did my testing with av and firewall up and active is that is how my computer is 95% of the time so i could see more realistic numbers.

7) The nature of atto program is that it will show MUCH higher number than other tests (crystal mark/hd tach...). You can not compare atto number to say crystal mark. You compare your atto numbers to others atto numbers, you compare your cryatal mark numbers with others crystal mark numbers...

5. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    1. I got the SATA2 ones with 280/260ish read/write.
    2. I'll accept a linear increase with the addition of drives in a RAID0 array but to see the performance go from 280MB/s to 3000MB/sec with 3 drives hardly makes any sense..

3. No comment :p

4. I know compression slows things down alot, it was between that and beginning to install things on the media (HDD) drives so I picked the former :)
    Also I did disable the "algorithms" for the most frequently used games and stuff.

5. Get your point there

6. Makes sense.

7. ATTO in my experience gives a result closer to the rated speed of drives than the other disk benches. Thing is tho; with 1 F60 I used to get 285MB/s and with 2 in RAID0 I got 560ish and 3 drives used to give me 830ish.
    If I had only like changed one thing or one drier since I got the more sense making results I could probably figure out the cause for this anomaly on my own but since I have changed bios, raid bios, RST driver, HDD ports, anti virus (windows new one), enabled compression, run SSD tweaked and probably a whole lot of other things...

830 is about what I should be getting; not 3GB/s :O

Appreciate some one takes interest in this topic at least :)