3x7950 or 2x7970?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Shagula, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Problem with that calc is its assuming near perfect utilisation and therefore power consumption on every device. Outside of Furmarking every GPU at the same time as Prime95 on all CPU cores, thats just not going to happen. For sure that 460 (Physx?) is not going to be consuming near 150w.

I dont think more than 1000w is necessary.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    No, actually it's best case scenario as stated at the top of the post. The rest of the components can easily be worked out as not being at max usage but only normal usage given each components tdp and playing something like BF3, but regarding the GTX 460, the power usage is not a function of what you use it for but how much gpu usage takes place, in the case of a high end tri-card system with the latest higend cpu the physx/gpu usage will be based on how much load is placed and in this casde that will be near max at the kind of fps the system will be generating, also the gtx 460 has a tdp of 160w but I still left it at 150w.

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Why in the world would you need 3x HD7970? Heck, two of these badboys are powerful enough to run BF3 totally maxed out (TOTALLY!) @6048x1200. I know as I've just tried it out and it was buttery smooth. Tried the Metro 2033 benchmark at near max setting (DOF and Advanced PhysX disabled) and averaged 76fps.,,,,low min framerate of ~14fps though. Proof's in the pudding -
    [​IMG]

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    For future games, multi screen gaming, highest quality user tweaked settings...

3 cards gives a smoother experience than 2 cards.

6. Jonup

Jonup Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    So we went from 2x7970 or 3x7950 to 3x volt modded 7970 + GTX460. So you threw in 300+W to the equation and told the guy needs 1200W PSU.

Shagula, your PSU would be enough if you do not volt mod 3x7970 and add a GTX460 (which is not worth the hastle to begin with). Keep in mind that your PSU is rate to provide 1000W at 50C. I would imagine that if you are sticking $1000+ into your case, it would be well vented.

7. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Agree with you! from past xp, trifire HD5850s scaled almost around 2.7-2.95x over a single 5850 while CFx only scale around 1.5-1.85x over a single card in most of the games. I dunno how this generation's card will scale in CFx/TFx... but I believe in AMD's driver team especially in making their CFx/TFx performance scales better from time to time. Hopefully by time, the Trifire HD7970s will also scale as good as previous 58xx generation.

8. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    Metro must look very very nice running smoothly! Never tried it with my 580s.

Every time i upgrade my stuff i'm never satisfied and end up replacing it and buying different stuff. I figure if i pretty much buy the best you can get that's less likely to happen. Also been reading the TomsHardware article about micro stuttering and thought why not get a third.

I've also decided to replace my HAF X case with a CoolerMaster Cosmos II Ultra. Going to cool the CPU with a Corsair H100 and in a few weeks/months when i have money again i might look at building a water cooling setup for the video cards.

9. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    neither one, unless all your going to do is run synthetic benchmarks, crossfire sucks. If you want an AMD gpu, a single gpu is the way to go.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Fraps (or any other fps tool) is only good as a semi-decent fps tool.

Using it as in that Tom's article to measure microstuttering is laughable,

(on Nvidia cards that's downright impossible, and results are totally meaningless because of Frame Metering.)