3DFX... Wow, the good old days... early '90's...

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Jake-from-State-Farm, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Meh, it gets tiling pretty quickly...

AsiJu likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    You were not missing much, i had this, the bro in law bought the 3dfx, i was the sap, the support for the 3dfx was amazing even at a time when you had to wait for a monthly magazine with a free floppy or cd to get access to game patches, lots of games got updates to support 3dfx, only a few got updates to support the powervr.......but i rectified that by grabbing a 3dfx 2. Ha

3. Marius99

Marius99 New Member

GPU:
    Intel
    Hello, can you tell more about the graphics chipset for Dreamcast

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    The Dreamcast chipset was an NEC PowerVR chip basically.
    PowerVR is a tile based chip instead of brute force. It would divide the screen in tiles and push all its power to finish each tile. That means that if a tile has just a sky, it finishes really fast and a tile that has transparency, it won't bog down the whole thing.
    A 3dfx card was a brute force card, it would try to render everything at once, so on paper, 3dfx had more raw power than powervr, but it wasn't as efficient in doing stuff as powervr.
    Back then, the 3dfx was indeed a faster card by alot, but... PowerVR is still alive in a lot of phones and the tiling rendering tech is being used one way or another in current desktop cards from nvidia and amd (But not exactly the same way as it was back then.)

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Dreamcast/Hardware_comparison

Jackalito and AsiJu like this.

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2060 OC
    Sega ultimately went with PowerVR because Sega were angry when 3DFX publically revealed their partnership due to becoming a publically traded company. That, and NEC are a Japanese company.

I'm not sure the Dreamcast would have helped 3DFX's chances one bit. 3DFX collapsed because they decided to make their own graphics cards, meaning all of their former board partners became competitors overnight. The onus on making Voodoo price competitive was down to 3DFX themselves rather than board partners. The fate of 3DFX is probably why Nvidia and AMD will never make their own cards en masse even though they probably could. Even Nvidia's Founder's Edition cards aren't made by Nvidia themselves.

Jackalito likes this.
  6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Also 3dfx bought their fab in Mexico, which I'm guessing is at least a little more expensive to operate than a plant in, say, Taiwan.

7. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    3dfx also powered my favorite Arcade game of ALL time:

San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing.

In a Real Arcade Cabinet, not on some lousy mobile(No offense), you all wanna play vintage arcade games the right way, this is the only way, In a real San Francisco Rush Arcade Cabinet.

If they had this in the arcade right now, I would go once a weekend, All night playing this game.

Probably the only one in the arcade playing it too, LOL.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Mannerheim likes this.
  8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I find it fascinating that 3dfx actually powered arcade boards.
    I remember an arcade where you were driving a moped trying to deliver pizzas i think.

9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    There was another arcade game that I really liked, this is off topic to the 3dfx thread, sorry about that, the Ultra Nintendo 64: Killer Instinct:

Mannerheim likes this.
  10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    ULLLTTTRRAAAAAA COOOMMMMMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
  12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    i was a child back in 1995, i didn t know about gaming on a desktop, at least i was on the sega megadrive by that time, my first pc experience was the pentium 2 with a riva tnt2 card, which could run half life nicely

13. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Riva TNT2 was the first real challenge to 3dfx (some would claim the TNT but the drivers were pretty awful back then, so I don't). Then came the mighty GeForce 256 which removed any doubt about who was going to win the 3D battle between Nvidia and 3dfx. By the time the GeForce 2 came around, 3dfx was finished. My first Nvidia card was in fact a budget card, the TNT2 M64 which had a low-bandwith memory and slower clocks, but still outperformed my Voodoo 3 on pretty much everything.

I had a Sega Genesis and I loved playing games on it with my friends, especially Star Control, General Chaos, Road Rash 1 and 2, NHL Hockey (various years but especially the ones that let you fight), Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 (I even learned to play one of the tunes, the main in-game one that repeats endlessly), and lots of other ones that I don't recall at the moment. GREAT STUFF but really Star Control was the best, even if it didn't always run very smoothly. There's a whole story behind that, by the way. Oh and I can't forget the precursor to Star Control 2, Starflight!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    ramthegamer likes this.