1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3DFX... Wow, the good old days... early '90's...

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Jake-from-State-Farm, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Jake-from-State-Farm

Jake-from-State-Farm Member

GPU:
    nVidia 1080-FE
    Bought my first PC I think it was @ 1992-93. Within several months I believe I had a Voodoo add-in card to game. Great early era of PC gaming... remember picking up 'Computer Gaming World' magazine EVERY month. Back then, 'Doom', 'Links 386', and 'Aces Over Europe' were some of my first games.

For whatever reason, I was a huge 3DFX fan over nVidia. Unfortunately, they made some bad business decisions and went under.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Back in the day I bought a laid down card of my friend, I think it was 3dfx, can't be for sure though. Was around the same time though, elementary / grammar school, started with Aces and still a cherrished memory, Dune 2 :D

3. Jake-from-State-Farm

Jake-from-State-Farm Member

GPU:
    nVidia 1080-FE
    Sorry, that was @ 25 years ago... I guess I didn't get the add-in card right away with my 386 DX 33 PC. I checked an old notebook/computer diary I would keep on my desk... My original vid card in that first rig was an ATI Graphics Expression.

4. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 SC 8GB
    My first PC build was a 386DX40 paired with a cheapy Cirrus Logic 512k card... but I remember able to run games like Ultima VII, Wing Commander II and Strike Commander which prompted me to get into PC over getting the Amiga 1200. By that time Origin had stopped making games for the Amiga platform.

Didn't get my first Voodoo card till the Voodoo 2 8MB came out and that was my very first Voodoo Card purchase. Still feel that if Sega hadn't drop 3dfx to produce the graphic chipset for the Dreamcast then it's possible 3dfx might still be around or at least have enough capital to continue for a while longer.

5. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Member

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega64
    S!

Still remember using 3Dfx Voodoo II 8Mb card, 2 of them. What a difference it did back then! Those were the days.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Had the Voodoo 3 3500 TV out, that thing lacked T&L, so Battle For Dune looked weird, but hey it worked fast on my ancient Pentium II :)

The good old days... i even saw the Voodoo 5 5000, that thing couldn't fit anywhere :)

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    You guys ever have the "budget ultimate" voodoo2 gamer's rig? This would be a 440BX motherboard (Abit BH-6 was the big one at the time) coupled with a Celeron 300a bumped to 450MHz or beyond, and 512MB of RAM, with an S3 or Matrox card for 2D video and a Voodoo2 8MB. Unreal and Quake2 FTW!!! This was my first machine for Windows 2000 later as well.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac1070Mini 2Ghz+
    I had a 440BX Aopen board
    128MB of ram
    a 333Mhz Pentium 2 that I, um, swapped from a dead PC in school... with my old Celeron 300mhz OG
    a 4GB hdd
    TNT2 32mb from creative
    and a Voodoo X24 from Obsidian
    had 98SE in that bad boy, and I played everything under the sun until early 2000s...

then I sold the X24...
    got a GF2 gts... and blablabla

9. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980SC 4GB
    I started my PC gaming with a 486DX-2 66Mhz and a whooping 8 megs of RAM... VGA? A 1mb (!) Trident Vesa.

My first 3dfx card came in 1999, and it was a Voodoo 3 3k, paired with the great Pentium III 550, 64gb of RAM, an Asus mobo with the Intel 440ZX chipset (not BX) and a Sound Blaster Live!.... HDD? It was a 2.1GB HD inherited from my previous Pentium 233 MMX PC! LOL Only a year later I could afford a 15gb hard disk that stayed with my PC for years too.

It was a dream computer back then, I played hundreds of hours of UT99 with my friends on it (still play that game now and then). Descent 3, Quake 3, and many other games ran great, @ about 85fps @1024x768x22 bits... Yeah, it ran with 22bit color.

I really miss 3dfx. Still feel a bit of its tech on my Geforce GTX 980 though...

10. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    my first pc was an inhell pentium III coopermine @ 666 (ok 667 :p) with a voodoo 3 2000(16mb) and 64 mb sd ram @133 later i added another stick 256 and i had em working together 320 mb of ram in total (( surprisingly that never gave me problems ! )) i still remember the face of the guy on the computer store when i asked for a voodoo instead of the Geforce 256 .... but hey in 2000 i was 12 years old ...all i ever knew was how awesome was voodoo never heard of nvidia or ati back then :p still dear lord how much ut 99 i played on this system ...and max payne 1 , but darn my all time favorite game of the time has to be Blade of Darkness ...anyone ever played that? was awesome ! dismembering your enemies and even have the option to pick up their limbs and beat em with those !