3dfx Voodoo 5 in 2024, does it still work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by PeteRoy, Feb 1, 2024.

1. PeteRoy

PeteRoy Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080ti
    3dfx Voodoo 5 in 2024, does it still work?

sovietwarbear likes this.
  2. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I just recently set up an AMD Slot-A system with a 750MHz Athlon and a V5 5500. I half expected the entire thing to catch fire on start-up since it hasn't run in nearly two decades. But, it went well. Booted right into Windows98 SE, and I even discovered a lot of my Unreal/Unreal Tournament maps I created back when I taught myself the editor.

While I'm not considering moving away from Win98 on this platform, (although I do have a beta Win2000 driver someone slipped out the door before Nvidia gobbled-up 3dfx), I am most definitely going to place this into a more modern case, since the original one was an example of it's era. You know, multiple 80mm fans running full-blast. They're not the legendary Deltas, but they're still pretty loud. I've no less than three PSUs that are heavy on the 5V rail, current-wise, which is what these old platforms want. And quite a few IDE hard drives for additional storage.

I have my Dad to thank for this system, and for allowing his renegade daughter to fool with it back then. I called him to tell him it was running without any drama, to which he replied, "Of course it is."

Of course it is.

user1, AuerX, fantaskarsef and 3 others like this.
  3. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Would be awesome to see photos of the beast when you set it up in a new case :)

AuerX and Celcius like this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I need to discover the *approved* photo hosting site for the Forums. And, borrow a digital camera from someone. But, I hope to upload a few pictures at some point. I actually have a bunch of 3dfx cards, but they aren't any different, visually, than the photographs one can find online. But, hey I still have the Voodoo3 2000 and 3500TV 3M® mousepads that were bundled with those cards. Surely their worth $5000 apiece.

Trunks0 likes this.

5. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    I usually use imgur.com. But no worries. Just thought it would be cool to see :)

6. Horse Hooves Clomping

Horse Hooves Clomping Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3060ti 8gb FE
    Why? Guru3d has option to upload photos.
    Why not use your phone? No one uses digital cameras anymore, unless you need some specific professional result.

7. Forums have allowed uploading photos since the switch to XenForo so no need for image hosting anymore.
    Looking forward to seeing the pics in either case!

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB