3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 video card reverse engineered and re-created by enthusiast

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2021.

1. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    I still have my voodoo 2 cards ready for a future retro sli build, just need to work up the nerve to recap one of my old boards to run them. :)

I wonder if this person will make or sell more of these? I’d love to have a DIY kit to try my hand at soldering all the components onto a a custom PCB. Wouldn’t be unreasonable as long as they included the vsa100’s presoldered to avoid the trickiest / hot air station part of the build.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not a problem at all, same driver that works with agp and pci version will work with bridge chipped pcie.

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Reminds me of this gem:

[​IMG]

Undying, mikeysg and SamuelL421 like this.
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Correct. 3dfx literally had scanline interleaving--every other line was rendered by a different GPU--it worked really well. And then 3dfx went with the V3/V5.5K that did 1600x1200 natively, without SLI. I don't recall whether twin V3's or V5.5k's ever ran in scanline interleaving--of course the V2s always did. nVidia never did that--nVidia simply used the name "SLI" it got when it bought the remains of 3dfx. I had hoped nVidia might use it but they never did. Neither did ATi.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    For 2d I used Matrox, STB, ATI, and then a TNT followed by a TNT2 running with twin 6mb (?) V2's in SLI--TNTs were fine for 2d--really stunk at 3d, comparatively, though. I returned early ATi, STB, Intel i7xx, and Matrox "3d" GPUs, because they all stunk comparatively. The 3dfx cards allowed you to play your 3d games at a decent frame-rate of 24fps and up--whereas the rest of them were literal slideshows, talking 2-5 fps, literally. V3 was, I think, the best GPU 3dfx ever made--the V5.5K was no slouch, either...;)

6. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Loved my Voodoo 3000.

Unreal and forsaken, quake:)

A M D BugBear likes this.
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Hell, Crysis barely runs on a 6800 GT!

8. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    3dfx Powered my favorite arcade game of "ALL TIME".

To bad, Arcade game is the thing of a past, hell, if they bring alot of it back, I might be the only one in the arcade playing these games, these games are meant to be played in the arcade, my favorite arcade game:

Nothing beats the good ol'days poppin' quarters in an arcade cabinet.

If you want the real experience of the game, this is it, no exceptions.

Absolute Badd A$$ game, Jesus.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  9. Unstizzy

Unstizzy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
  10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Man, I'll never forget the first time seeing Tomb Raider with Glide on the local computer store.

11. Minjin13

Minjin13 New Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Seeing that card and the name 3Dfx brings back so many memories as a mechanical engineering under grad in University. I had many 3Dfx cards from the Voodoo Banshee to the Voodoo 5000.3Dfx always had the best box art.I have some old cards in the original boxes in my basement.

12. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I skipped the Voodoo4/5 / Geforce 256 "generation".

I actually went for the Matrox Millennium G400 (Single Head/32MB "OEM" version) before that. It offered superior image quality compared to both the Voodoo 3 (which didn't even support 32bit colour rendering) and Riva TNT2 cards, and performance wasn't that far behind, though drivers weren't always great at first. Earlier ones even had VSync forced ON in Direct3D...

It did have a high CPU overhead though, upgrading from a Celeron 400 to an Athlon 700 turned out to be a huge performance increase, until getting a Geforce 2...

13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I had a pair of Monster Voodoo II cards in SLI. They were awesome.

14. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    I started off with the Orchid Righteous 3D, and then had a pair of 12MB Monster IIs in SLI. Unfortunately that's where my adventure with 3DFx ended. I still kept the Voodoos alongside a Riva TNT2 Ultra, but once the 256 came out, it was all over.