(3dcenter) Kepler refresh

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Noisiv, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Am gonna def wait till perhaps a 760 ti etc is launched...not gonnarush and buy the 780 as soon as it's out.

(will be hard to resist though).

I think 30% is more likely. Still thats a nice upgrade if you own a 580 or similar...

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    15% for a mere refresh is pretty damn good, strike that - it's close to impossible if you gonna stay within the same power envelope.

Only way to do it is to have a power-sucky baseline chip ie GF100.
    GK114 already has rather good power/perf.
    Nevertheless Nvidia can improve few % here and there, but the only way for a true performance leap on the same 28nm, is more raw power/TFLOPS and more bandwidth.
    And the only way to do it more Cuda Cores and more memory controllers, since just raising clocks will only get you so far <-- hence the need for entirely new chip.

Bottom line:
    AMD will need 15% over 7970 GHz, else why bother.
    That will put 8970 ~ 30% over GTX 680 at high resolutions.
    So Nvidia will need 40%+ over 680, because sure as hell they won't settle for less with 550mm2 chip.

And this is physically impossible without raising TDP.
    250-ish watt should be expected.

3. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    So would they rebrand the current 680/670 to fill the mid range sapce for the 7 series lineup? I guess they might disable parts of the 780 chip to bridge the performance gap..

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Likely there will be one non-top GK110, as surely there will be left-overs. Unless they don't get shipped to Tesla/Quadro.

Mid-high will of course be filled with GK104 respin.

5. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I don't care if it's 300% faster than current-gen, it's completely useless with no games taking advantage of it's power. Console ports run maxed on a single gtx 260.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What souped up 570 do you have, most of the games out now are too much for my 570, and it's will be far worse by the time this card is out with Arma3, Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 out by then.

Even in the next few months there are at least 5 games that i will be unable to max on this GPU.
    Even COD this year is looking likely to be GPU heavy.

Turning down high end settings you don't like, or being happy with unstable framerates does not count as maxed.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    dunno my 580 is still doing fine...it does depend on his res ofc. he could be on a lower res hence he hasnt had any real issues.

that said am pretty sure am doing next gen of gpus.

think he has a point..

p.s am sure i''l be able to run ass creed3 and farcy3 ok. well will be interesting to find out..

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mine is doing ok as well, but dropping settings and not getting at least 50fps minimum isn't ideal for me, but i put up with as i know the card is getting on abit now.

Also, you don't get lots of high end games without lots of high end cards, if the majority of PC gamers are on older cards, then why would a dev waste money catering to the minority.

Got to laugh at the polar opposite opinions in this thread though, got some saying that GTX680 wasn't high end enough for this day and age, and others saying a GTX260 can max nearly everything.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah sub 60fps is upgrade time for me. but so far i havent seen any decent game that is bringing most cards to their knees.

not sure i get your point. i was under the impression most games are ports therefore most of us with semi uptodate rigs can handle most things that are out there.

devs actually want to cater for both. increase sales.

put it another way if you are generally more than 2 gens out of date yeah expect perhaps some fps issues.

i think the point he was making was that most pc games arent using a pc true potential i.e they are ports or badly optimised.

this is all subjective though as depends on your res, cpu clock speed and the game itself and to some extent whether u are amd/nvidia....etc etc blah blah :)

perhaps i misinterpreted his post but I think it was more aimed at the general idea we are often upgrading and for what...to be let down by badly optmised games...

for me personally there are only a handfull of titles that are worth upgrading for and if i can run my current setup for as long as poss i will do so.

that said am sure i'll be noticing something a few months into the new yr perhaps..

i'm actually gonna try and hold off with upgrades just to see what happens. (and no am not the general in disguise and start using copies of xp etc).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There seem to be a alot of dev's who have gotten bored of console restrictions and are not just simply porting the game over, but developing it in tandem with the console one.
    Well that is what they are telling us, but either way the end result has been games that look and perform better than PC exclusive games, so who cares if its a port or not.

MOH Warfighter, ACIII, Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3, even NFS MW are all games out in the next month that should push my card to the limit with added DX11 features and high res textures, even COD Black Ops 2 is dropping DX9/XP support.

Most games/ports i've played recently have looked great, and ran as well as i could expect, the only disappointment has been Serious Sam 3 which ironically is a PC only game.

I will definitely be getting a new card next year, too many dev's playing about with new tech and will only get more prominent by the the time the next GPU's are out.
    Probably a GTX770 though, as i never by the top card.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    HD7970 was a completely different architecture from HD6970. GTX780 is from the same architecture family as GTX680.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Not quite, Yes it has the same SMX approach but overall its completely different, just like GF104/114 vs GF110.

@Redemption80
    Mine is fine at near 1080P too (50k less), but for such reso i need 900mhz and it flies (28Gpixel/s or old 36gpixel/s, 54gtexlel/s) :D

And why don't you buy that +50% boost? it has almost 1x more SMX (15) then GK104 (8) and 16 extra ROPS, also ~120-150GB/s higher bandwidth, add HyperQ and Dynamic Parallelism, better L1, L2 cache and presto 50% min for sure.

But yeah all this guessing is kinda irrelevant atm, but i still think it will be like that. Only 5-6months to go :nerd:

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Plead tell me you are being sarcastic or you didn't read my entire post. And as -Tj- is saying this isn't just a respin of GK104 this is the "real" keplar GK110.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This is all just rumors until confirmed by NVidia.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I agree I'm jus the optimistic type.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It was claimed early on that GTX680 was going to use GK100....but considering that NVidia was trying to reduce power consumption for consumer products it would have made little sense to use GK100. The case hasn't changed. GK100 will still use more power than GK104 and typically you don't see greater power consumption from a refresh gen. There's just no way they can get such a large chip below the 195watt TDP of the GTX680.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Yes it was, but then they said GK110 and later then made it a mid-range GK104 chip or GK110 would stomp all over AMD HD7970. ;)

Now that AMD mentioned 8900 series its time for that GK110 chip.

18. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's time for a GPU that's 100% faster than GF110 and uses slightly less power, that's about it. If GK110 ends up being another GF100, I'll put a fricking solar panel on the roof and buy some more eggs.

19. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Anandtech posted an article on K20 and K20X, with the latter being a 235W 14SMX GK110 part (2688 core)running at 738MHz with 6 GB RAM and 1.31 Tflops DP as well as 3.95 Tflops SP peak performance.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Thanks for info.

Agree, GK110 might cut it and that 235W isn't that bad.. But if its a chip GK114 then they can keep it, even if its ~ 90-100% faster.