3D Mark 11 very buggy

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by J_J_B, Dec 9, 2010.

1. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    Purchased 3D Mark 11 yesterday and posted some great GTX-480 based scores (top of the list for a Core i7 965 as of this morning). I'm glad I did the posting yesterday because today 3D Mark 11 no longer works. It hangs indefinately at the first Physics tests.

I did what was suggested on a Futuremark customer support page: disabled the scan-pc option. That got me through the first Physics test and the Combined test. Upon exiting the Combined test, however, I get a nice big error message with lots of code. I hit "retry", it flashed the error again along with a Windows message indicating the program was not responding, hit "rety", and then it sat there indefinately. Had to use task manager to kill it.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, re-installed, ensuring no other programs were running in the background, but nothing has helped.

Per additional guidance on the cummunity support pages, I tried disabling the scan-pc feature and that seems to allow all tests to complete without error but the results are not considered official because the CPU and GPU info are blank.

I've unregistered the software on my machine and uninstalled it for now. I'm going to wait for Futuremark to get this right before it goes back on my system.

I hope this isn't interpreted as "flaming". Sure I'm frustrated, but I thought I would post this in case other members see similar issues.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    I can also confirm, as reported on Futuremark support forums, that Vantage no longer works... has to do with 3D Mark 11 breaking the scan-pc tool there.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Try running stock and see what happeneds as I noticed you are at 4.1 which is a huge OC. Traditionaly when you are overclocked too high 3dmark will give strange errors and sometimes it will make it through while other times it will not. 3dmark06 used to do this for me if I was OC'd too high. It would lock and sometimes give me an odd error. Looking at your posted specs you have an extream overclock on your i7 chip which is my guess causing you all the problems...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    What people are having a hard time with is now we have physics calculations which is a lot different then straight CPU/GPU. Your shader OC might be too high which could in fact be causing a lot of strange errors that is the exact same as an OC lock up. Moral of the story, and this is not 3dmarks fault, is your OC's are just too high. Might be good for e-penis but not good enough to finish the race. It is now time to come back down to planet earth and run your PC's the way you should have been running them from the get go no?

Stop trying to be an Elvis....

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nice troll maleficarus.

Thanks for the heads up op, I'll keep my eye on this for a while before installing.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Huh? so easy to blame the software when it is usualy the hardware!

7. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks Mufflore!

For others, my system overclocks are stable all around and I'm confident that this is not a stability issue. Been folding proteins for the team 24/7 and have been doing so for well over a month non-stop on both my SMP2 client (7 threads, bigadv) and a GPU3 client on the 480. Both are water cooled. The CPU cores max out at 75 C and and the GPU maxes out at 47 C under these conditions. I can Furmark or Prime95 for days without issue.

It's clear from Futuremark's cummunity forums that I'm not the only one seeing these issues.

8. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    3DMark06 crashes my system if my OC is too high, even though P95 passes all tests

9. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    3D Mark 06 and Vantage ran fine here. It's just the odd issues with 3D Mark 11. Vantage refuses to start now that 3D Mark 11 has been installed and it is exhibiting these issues. Specifically, Vantage starts but generates an error when a the benchmarks are begun in reference to an inability to scan the pc (to identify hardware).

The issues seem to be related to the scan-pc function, which provides information on what was tested during posting to the Futuremark web site (nothing to do with the various benchmark tests).

To re-iterate, I can get through all tests if I disable the scan-pc option, exit, and then re-enter 3D Mark 11. At that point I get through all tests and obtain a benchmark (similar to what I obtained yesterday). It's just that it is meaningless to post it to the web since there is no PC info to go with it now. A score with no CPU or GPU specific info to go with it is not officially recognized on the Futuremark site.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    LOOK at your OC. are you so in denial that you will not accept what is obviously glaring at you right in your monitor?

11. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    Just updated my last post with additional comments.

Look, I'm not denying that what you are saying is a possibility with some systems maleficarus. What I'm saying is that I am confident in my ability to hone in and establish a stable overclock. I've testing this system to no end and it is stable. Per previous post, I can get through all tests if the scan-pc option in 3D Mark 11 is disabled.

The issue at hand will be relatively simple for Futuremark to correct. That said, there are lot of very upset folks on the Futuremark forums demanding a fix.

12. signas_86

signas_86 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI Watercooled
    i got this error after installing 3dmark11

13. Mrtom82

Mrtom82 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire radeon 5970
    I don't understand why you are so convinced it is the oc? If it were the OC then why can he get through the benchmark with the "Scan System" unchecked?? I am having the same problem and I put my clocks back to normal and it made no difference.

14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i can only get past the combined test if Firefox is open already, otherwise i get a window out of focus or some such error. Vantage was the same but only at the end of the test if Firefox wasnt open. Firefox is set as my default browser, i would be 100% sure it would be fine if IE was set as the default.

15. gh4stly

gh4stly Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming 1599mhz
    buggy as hell here too.
    physx text = black screen
    errors after running test 4

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    FM still has work to do on this and should have held off on release some more until they worked this stuff out.

17. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    +1 totally agree with this, best wishes for the futuremark... lol

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    yeah ;) but if firefox, internet explorer or other browser already opened. lol

19. selonimes

selonimes New Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk 5770
    I had an issue as well. I downloaded and wanted to try it out, hit run and it says that the mode is not supported. Any ideas what could be up with that?

I am rather new at this so sorry if I am in the wrong spot for asking.

20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Because if this was wide spread we would all be having the same issue. I can run it no problems why is that?