3d gaming anygood?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Lowki, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Im just curious about it specifically on amd cards but also in general. Just seen a 3d movie the othernight and have to say 3d is getting alot better as it matures. Is it the same with gaming is it getting any better. Does anyone here have a nice 3d setup and enjoy it?

2. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    3D is still pretty hit and miss when it comes to gaming mainly due to the big performance hit when enabled and a most games not being optimized to use the tech properly.
    Having said that thou when its good (Metro 2033, Guild Wars 2 , LA Noire, Trine 2, etc) and you have enough horsepower to use it games can look properly fantastic with a much better sense of depth then any film I've seen in 3D.
    I'm talking from the Nvidia side of the fence thou so I don't know how good the AMD tech is.

3. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    Yes, certain games work better than others but when it's works, it's an enjoyable experience.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I think it's overrated.

However, I believe it'll improve in the future when they make better 3D tv's & offer better 3D support.

5. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    i have Benq XL2420TX + Geforce GTX 570 most of the games looks awesome but require tweaking the depth/convergence, in some cases you have to turn off the shadows ingame or some other graphic setting because the 3d doesn't work in that effect. honestly this 3d lcd is worth it if you have extra cash and powerful GPU because running in 3d cuts your FPS in half, if you get 60 fps in regular openGL, then in 3d you get 30 fps.

6. ade666

ade666 Member

GPU:
    xfx xxx 5870
    I use the lg D2342P that comes with tridef software on a ati set up it works well. I think it adds to the experiance. Skyrim for example looks great. And i can watch 3d movies on it.

7. Gibbonlimbs

Gibbonlimbs Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB Jet****** SLI
    I've been using 3d vision for 2 years and I love it.

First with GTX 460 Sli, then GTX 570 Sli and now with gtx 680 Sli.

I can max all games now @ 1920x1080 and having the power to do it makes a great experience.

Some games don't work to well but the ones that do are pretty dam good.

8. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
  9. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I will eventually try it, but it wont be anytime soon

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    This. 5 years from now when it will properly enter main****** and price/performance/support will be much better.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Well, I had a nvision kit/samsung 3d monitor about a year and a half to two years ago and when it worked, it was awesome. The problem was at that time there was A LOT of ghosting, also many games that were incompatible...Half-Life 2, always, always, always had a bug where once 3D was enabled the frames stuck at 15fps, the week I decided to sell the 3d they finally came out with a fix, over a year later. Grrrr.

Anyways, it felt like I paid good money to be a beta tester, more often than not I spent more time tweaking, fiddling, turning things off, etc to find the sweet spot.

I'm sure things have progressed since, but I can't see it being THAT much better yet.

I recently purchased the PS3 Playstation 3D Display and while the 3D effect is "weaker" than nvision, it's also much less of a hassle and has less ghosting. It has it's issues with some games but it's a nice step forward.

I'll mimmick the last two guys and say wait a few more years unless you don't mind tweaking every game to get it just right.

12. brendanvista

brendanvista Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I don't own a 3dvision setup, but I have tried 3d vision 1 and 2 at the nvidia headquarters, and I have to say, their second version is so much better. Much brighter, and less ghosting. But honestly, I'd only use 3dvision in singleplayer. I think you'd find yourself doing worse competitively in 3d.

13. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    No, it is crap and gives me a headache/eyeache but a 120hz screen is amazing.

14. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Thanks for the responses. Sound like i should hold off on the 3d for now from most responses. To the guy that said 120mhz is awesome. I agree it would be awesome. Only problem is right now im playing on a 32 inch hdtv and i couldnt give up the screen size for that. If anything i would like to go bigger get a 40 to 50 inch. Would be awesome and with how cheap tvs are getting these days.. To bad they sell bs tech fake 120 and 240 mhz.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Upto 120fps with vsync! :D

I'm just waiting for TRUE 120HZ LED IPS TV panels to show up so I can buy one.

Currently stuck with my 32'' Panasonic LED IPS Panel. It's great only 60HZ. :bang:

16. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I've got a Sony 40EX723, even though it' a "200hz" display, PC games only run @ 60hz. Very annoying as I remember the old CRT's running @ 120hz.....!

When running 3D, I think it's 100hz per eye (so 100hz x2, left and right) though I may be mistaken....

3D gaming has certainly got a long way to go - it would have to be perfect before hitting the main******. I reckon next years consoles will support 3D, but it's far from being a standard feature from every game.

Doom3: BFG Edition supports John Carmack's new headset. I think it's a really ambitious idea and if more games support it I would buy it, but I don't think it'll happen for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    A few games look excellent. Like Trine 2. Some are meh, others have issues but most look like utter crap.
    an example imo... Crysis 2 looked meh, Skyrim looked like utter crap, Madness Returns and Trine 2 looked amazing.

Some of the PS3 games didn't look too shabby, GT5 and KZ 2 was alright, I didn't try too many though

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Also, it would be nice to have glasses-free 3D tv's...

Wearing those rediculous glasses ruin the experience & comfort.

Also, imagine watching a movie & there happen to be several people. 3D glasses don't come cheap.