3950x high temperatures in IDLE (alround 50 celsius degrees)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Methox, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Methox

Methox New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1660TI
    SETUP

case : lian Li pc-011 dynamic
    motherboar : asus prime pro x570
    cpu : ryzen 9 3950x (STOCK)
    rams : gskill 32gb 16x2 3200cl4 (b-die)
    psu : evga supernova 1200 p2 80+ Platinum
    ssd : adata xpg sx8200 pro (1tb)
    aio : asus ryjuin 240mm (push and pull)

thermal paste usage : Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut applied with the pea technique

FANS CONFIGURATION

SIDE
    (intake aio)
    PUSH into radiator x2 Noctua NF-F12 IPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
    PULL into case x2 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM

SIDE
    (alone fan)
    Intake x1 NF-S12A PWM

BOTTOM
    Intake x1 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM

Exaust x2 Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 PWM

DESCRIPTION

-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,
    I think it's a lot to be in idle, I have all the microcontrollers updated to the latest version as well as the motherboard bios, I tried to change
    The box, although Lian Li is not exactly a closed box, just as I had planned to buy the 280 Aio Alphacool EISBAER Extreme, but really the Ryjuin is not a bad aio either,
    I would like to know your opinions if you think it may be a fault of any part that is defective or is that you simply buy a 16-core toaster, I have seen reviews with this cpu less than 40
    degrees with an air cooler and I'm starting to not believe the things I see xD What do friends think? Exchange cpu? Box change? Of aio? , I've been testing for more than 1 week
    that I have decided to comment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read you

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    I would try just to set 0.1v less on vcore. It may help.
    Problem is, that at default vcore Ryzens is rather high, plus starting frequency for CPU is like 3.6ghz, then boosts if needed. And like in my 8700k, which lowest frequency is 800Mhz...at 0.8v or so, temps are a lot closer to rooms temperature.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Did you download and install the AMD chipset drivers? If you have them installed you could try to enable the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan in Windows. Some say not to modify it, but if you do go to the advanced settings and change the minimum CPU power to 5%, at least on my 3700X it enables the CPU to downclock to around 2.2GHz. However, I'm not sure if it makes any difference whatsoever because apparently Ryzen is internally, without any instructions from the OS, supposed to put the cores to sleep if they haven't got anything to do. The Ryzen Master software is the only way to observe that, but that piece of software refuses to install on my system, so I haven't seen it for myself. If you can, have a look at it.

That being said, this 3700X PC is a power guzzler compared to my old i5 6600K, when doing nothing much, just browsing the net or watching Youtube videos. Maybe it would work better with a modern video card. Time will tell. Thus you might be correct by saying that if you get a 16-core, you just have to accept higher temps.

4. Methox

Methox New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1660TI
    I did all that and I'm still having problems, I've observed this and I think it's the problem

https://imgur.com/a/B83Orip

although I have no idea how to fix it, there is a single core shot at 4.3+ while the others are calm

5. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Imo,the Asus & Gigabyte mb are worst nightmare.No good Vrm,bad cooling and bad voltages.They put too much voltages on Ryzen cpus,something like 1.56V.
    So your motherboard really sucks,forget about Asus.MSI and Asrock are better on Amd side (Gpu & Cpu).

6. Methox

Methox New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1660TI
    I'm going to buy a asrock taichi, I was thinking about it, I hope it will be able to control the processor better, thanks for everything

Turanis likes this.
  7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700XT
  8. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good Cpu,but bad mb & vrm.
    Good luck. :)

9. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    There are too many variables involved in cooling to assume it is your motherboard. If you have that much cooling and that is your idle temp, something isn't set up right. Either that aio cooler sucks, or it is not seated or otherwise mounted properly. You may not be removing heat from your case fast enough. In any case, swapping the motherboard without completely going through the cooling system first seems premature. There are plenty of examples of high-quality air coolers outperforming low/mid grade aio coolers, so that in and of itself is not an indicator of anything. Don't be afraid to crank the fans all the way up.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I've always had Asus motherboards and have been happy with them, but I wish I had done a little bit more research before buying my current one for Ryzen. It has a couple of glaring design flaws clearly indicating Asus didn't care.

Turanis likes this.

11. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Do you have these settings in your bios ? You might need to enable some "experimental feautures" option in your bios as i had to do before the option Core boost shows up.

Precision boost
    Core boost

Enabling both these settings while disabling all powersaving feautures solved my high voltage/temp issues on 2600x. Going from 1.44 - 1.48v to 1.312v stable.

This is on a stock cpu cooler.
    https://imgur.com/a/RInR7Eg

12. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    My opinion...this board sucks temps...yes
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Os? and Version....
    Please provide system software specs.
    There "may be" some apps consuming CPU.... (resource monitor)

Some old apps are not optimized for "core" dependencies :confused:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Weird, you dont have a dGPU....> (otherwise i'd ask you to change to another PCI-e slot and check)

[​IMG]

/ check POWER PLAN also

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium