390x bios leaked

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by WarDocsRevenge, Jun 16, 2015.

1. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

argh linux... thanks! i'll give a try but i'm not familiar with linux and "compiling" concept, too much not-user friendly!

2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    You can't edit bioses, it is public/private key signing and can't be broken. The stilt dude had a friend somewhere in amd and was able to produce several bioses, gave them to be signed and few days after he got them and released, that is as far as it gets with bios signing unless someone leaks the keys.

3. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
    It's like you didn't read any of the thread. Netkas has a 390X bios modified to 4GB and lower memclocks that WORKS. He's been in the video card game a long long time and I trust his work wholeheartedly

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes you can. There is even a tool for the 7000 series where you can add a UEFI GOP to a bios, fix the checksum and sign it. On top of that there is Vbe7, which is a full-fledged bios editor. That way I flashed my non-uefi 7970 with the 015.25 bios to a UEFI R9 280x with the 015.41 bios, with my overclocking and fan profiles on the bios level. And yes it does a UEFI boot just fine.

5. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Is there a 4gb modded one but without changes to the memory clock?

Edit: Or will i have the use the 8gb one then?

6. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
    IT WORKED!! THANK YOU NETKAS I can now edit my R9 290 bios!
    Did a small test of changing default clock speed :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CGabry

CGabry Member

GPU:
    GTX970 XTremeGaming
    This works in mine R9 290, but the VDCC its too high... 1.289V
    mine 290 works better with 1.227V.

8. tx12

tx12 Member

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    Where is no point to use R9 390 BIOS in R9 290.
    Even if we'll think R9 390 would have some back-portable improvements, they aren't in the BIOS, but in drivers. But this BIOS won't help R9 3xx drivers to detect R9 290 as R9 390.

Special R9 3xx only drivers recently released on AMD site (15.15) require R9 390 to have PCI Revision ID=80, while original R9 290 Hawaii have RevID=00.
    I think it should be possible to override default revision ID by BIOS, but I dunno how to do that. At least I've tried some obvious things, but failed.
    And for sure, usage of R9 390 BIOS in R9 290 won't do that.
    Someone with good knowledge of ASIC straps is needed to comment RevID changeability.

Without updated RevID R9 3xx drivers won't install on R9 290 and universal drivers would work as with R9 290 even if R9 390's BIOS was used.

It should be easier to "convince" R9 3xx drivers to work with R9 270 and with Tonga chips, because some Device ID / Subsystem ID combinations are allowed to be detected as R9 3xx even with RevID=00, so BIOS replacement or modification should do the trick.
    Still, that's not as interesting as R9 290.

9. netkas

netkas Active Member

GPU:
    Many
    Great.

Anyone else wanna repeat signature BS again?

10. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X@R9 390X 1050/1325
    is there way to modify fan curve for 290X? i really wanted this but no tool for 290X/290 released :(

also why bios is not enough to fool drivers into thinking its 390X?

11. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. netkas

netkas Active Member

GPU:
    Many
    I think tx12 have just explained why.

Revision ID: Specifies a revision identifier for a particular device. Where valid IDs are allocated by the vendor.

Could be changeable with some resistor moving maybe

One needs to compare pcbs of original 290x and 390x

13. tx12

tx12 Member

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    That's no BS. Signatures in your BIOS image are ruined, only simple PCBIOS CRC is OK.
    I dunno why it works. Most probably, 15.20 beta driver doesn't enforce signature check.
    Try officially released 14.12 for Windows for a final test.

UPD: AMD's BIOS signature is a kind of strange thing. Its not always checked. R9 280 - no checks, R9 290 - check. Linux driver also seems to lack checks, even for R9 290.
    You'll end up with a BSOD if signature is checked and is incorrect.

14. netkas

netkas Active Member

GPU:
    Many
    Didn't want to go that far into details, but looks like I have to.

After amd make (if they do) signature for whole pc bios, they need to save that signature somewhere, and not in pc bios part (they have just signed it, they can't modify it now). There is no other pci rom parts in radeon's rom with signature in it. The only other part is uefi bios which has no signature for pc bios and can be removed.

For example nvidia has an dedicated option rom part with signature, but the only thing to check it is nvflash, which was successfully patched to pass that.

So, there is for sure no signature for whole pc bios part, proven by logic of how digital signature works.

There could only be signature for part of pc bios which means there are other parts we can modify.

15. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix

16. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Would really love the 4gb bios with 1350 memory clock.
    Could anyone hook me up?
    That would be awesome for 24/7 use.
    The original one gives me a black screen and wont install the drivers, so that's why i need one with a lower memory clock.
    Because 1250 is to low for my Tri-x. :p

17. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
  18. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    i posted this last year in TPU forums.
    what u guy do is blind flashing a card and i would call this stupid. wait for more details about the 3xx series

//If u wanna flash a different bios for some reason 1st check this
    both card's must have the same chip, memory (some bioses have "autodetect")
    both card's absolutely MUST have the same display-output layout and PCB (referenze or custom layout) be aware that every manufacturer can have a diff. layouts but mostly they are none to small changes
    VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

19. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
    Regardless of drivers not detecting cards as 39X what is causing the load temps drop under full load with the new bios? Running 3DMark I wasn't going over 80C whereas on stock its hit 95 no problem

20. JonMS

JonMS Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980Ti FTW
    No harm in doing this with a dual bios card.