1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

390x bios leaked

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by WarDocsRevenge, Jun 16, 2015.

1. The Stilt

The Stilt Member

295X2 is Hawaii so the VID control is identical (SVI2).

295X2 cards however use different VRM controller (OnSemi vs. IR) than 290/390 cards so the programming is naturally completely different if you plan to use offsets.

2. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    hopefully mate you can help these guys out with finding out a way to add the different vid information to the hawaii bios editor.

3. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I agree :) , the offset is a quick fix and not efficient.

I agree and would prefer this method :) . This method means at low loads your not hitting the GPU with higher voltage when it don't require it.

My purpose of doing thread on OCN was just to enable a owner to be able to edit his own bios, not interested in releasing bios roms for others to use as I understand the complexity this would present.

I and others will definitely appreciate it for sure :D.

Playing ceased ;) , don't really wanna fork out another £200+ for GFX card.

Like I said in PM's many thanks for your original roms :D and even more for getting involved! :D .

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. The Stilt

The Stilt Member

Bugs? Most likely (definitely).

Supports Bonaire (7790, 260X, 360) and Hawaii (290, 390 and 295X2), i.e. EVV Gen. 1 cards.

Reset the default clocks prior using as either over or underclocking will affect the driver leakage calculations (which are extremely complex).

The Lkg value is the fused LeakageID of the GPU.
    Convert it to decimal and divide by 1023, you´ll have the GPU-Z ASIC "quality".

Higher LeakageID (or ASIC "quality") means higher leakage, which is bad unless you´re running on custom water cooling or LN2.

The checksum for the original, unaltered package is 37D1F46522F97736D56E5FCEDECC164C (MD5).

Discard if the checksum mismatches.

Every reputable AV (Kaspersky, F-Secure, etc) will say the package is clean, unlike the less reputable ones might do.

Wonder why I write like this?
    I´m pretty badly (or well) wasted :)

[​IMG]

http://1drv.ms/1Hln01F

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

5. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Sorry don't know what to do with this information? and I'm guessing no one else does?

I was comparing VoltageObjectInfo tables of your newly released roms. Why does 8d 00 xx 00 keep shifting position in the table just for a different offset when bios is same?

When I edit the Vapor-X 290X OC bios 8d 00 04 00 to 8d 00 08 00 I get +50mv but is it also effecting a voltage which say GPU-Z / HWinfo is not picking up?

6. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X@R9 390X 1050/1325
    its just that you can read your default DMP7 voltage :D not really usefull but nice gadget

7. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    That part I got! LOL

8. The Stilt

The Stilt Member

On EVV cards there are always eight different performance states (DPM0 - 7).
    In most cases the lowest state has fixed voltage (boot voltage) which is the same between all ASICs (specimens). The voltages for the other states are determined by the leakage characteristics of your ASIC specimen. High leakage ASICs will have lower voltages through the different DPMs while ASICs with low leakage characteristics will have higher voltages.

In PowerPlay table each DPM state implementing the fuse based voltage (EVV) will have it´s own fuse table pointer.

To calculate the pointer you need to add the order (2-8) to 0xFF00 or 65280:

- DPM0 (fixed voltage)
    - DPM1 (2nd DPM) = 0xFF02
    - DPM2 (3rd DPM) = 0xFF03
    - DPM3 (4th DPM) = 0xFF04
    - DPM4 (5th DPM) = 0xFF05
    - DPM5 (6th DPM) = 0xFF06
    - DPM6 (7th DPM) = 0xFF07
    - DPM7 (8th DPM) = 0xFF08

Flip the bytes and search these pointers within the PowerPlay table.
    There will be six instances of each of them.

On all EVV cards the voltage unit is 6.25mV as defined by the AMD SVI2 specification.
    Divide your desired target voltage with 0.00625 and round it to the nearest integer. Then multiply the result with 0.00625 and trim so that it has three decimal places.

Multiply your desired target voltage by 100000 and divide the result by 625. Round the result to the nearest integer. Then multiply the result with 6.25 and use the integer part as the voltage value in PowerPlay table.

E.G

Target Voltage = 1.23750V
    ((1.23750 * 100000) / 625) = 198
    198 * 6.25 = 1237.5

1237 = 0x4D5

Voltages which do not produce a correct and driveable VID code might cause system to crash.

E.G. 0x457 (1.111V) would be wrong. 0x458 (1.112V) is the closest possible voltage value drivable by the system.

When you have the voltage code ready, replace all six pointers of the given DPM state found in PowerPlay table.

If you want to set 1.25000V for DPM7 for example, you´ll replace the six DPM7 fuse voltage pointers 0xFF08 instances with 0x04E2 value. By changing the voltage this way all the voltages for the other states remain intact, yielding lower power consumption.

Note that a lower performance state cannot have higher voltage than a higher performance state (i.e. DPM6 voltage must be lower than DPM7 voltage etc.).

The reason why I made the "EVV VID Decoder" program is very simple.
    Without it there is no way to tell the default voltage of the GPU. Without it it´s pretty hard to tell which voltage code you should put in the PowerPlay table if you want to use 50mV higher voltage than stock ;)

9. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Thanks for taking time to post this :) , but we have already deduced what goes on in the powerplay table from comparing your roms with stock ;) .

We were able to mark it all up from member contributions.

[​IMG]

What stopped me doing and testing those edits earlier in the thread was voltageobjectinfotable, this we are completely in the dark about and unsure of.

So if I change those values in powerplay I have to do nothing for voltageobjectinfo table?

10. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    was thinking it is more complicated to change voltage... :D gupsterg kind of pulled me with him into thinking it is voltageobjectinfo which we need for such change

all 6 tables are allready in hawaii reader so i can finish voltage editing today/tomorrow

11. DDSZ

DDSZ Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 290 unlocked
    Will this also force one DPM voltage for different ASIC qualities?

12. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    i think yes :) as The Stilt done this for forced levels with mining bioses

13. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I did explain in post 330 334 339 and in 377. There was only a typo in post 377 where I should have written six instead of five but the tables were there.

DDSZ had also spotted it in post 338.

Not knowing about the relationship of voltageobjectinfo and the three hexes in powerplay (which asder000 cleared up TDC TDP Max.Power Delivery) stopped me doing test.

I was delving into voltageobjectinfo due to wishing to find global gpu core voltage offset.

You may recall there was a post by me stating it wasn't in powerplay and also I think bobrix had added a Sapphire powerplay to another bios and not got a gpu voltage offset like the sapphire bios fully flashed gave him.

Plus it was to investigate if we need or not needed to adjust voltageobjectinfo.

The Stilt on mining roms:-

14. The Stilt

The Stilt Member

You neither need or should touch the VoltageObjectInfo.
    Just make sure there isn´t a offset preset in that table when you over-ride the fuse based VIDs. If the VoltageObjectInfo contains 100mV offset for example and you set 1.3V through the PowerPlay table, then the output voltage will obviously be 1.4V (i.e. burned GPU or VRM).

All my bioses contain additional OV protection which blocks voltages high enough to damage the GPU.

When you over-ride the fuse based voltage by replacing the pointer with a voltage value, the voltage will always be the same regardless the default voltage determined by leakage fuses.

15. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Cheers :thumbup:.

I own a Vapor-X 290X STD edition , stock bios has no gpu offset voltage in voltageobjectinfo table but it does have +31mv offset in MSI AB. I have done full uninstall of MSI AB (settings deleted), CCC uninstall, run DDU , then power down and up of PC, then reinstalled and checked.

STD bios gives +31mv (this does not have offset in VoltageObjectInfo AFAIK) and OC gives me +25mv (this has offset in VoltageObjectInfo).

I wish to use modded STD bios as i) newer ii) get higher OC for same volts vs older OC bios.

Here is powerplay compare:-

[​IMG]

Here is voltage object info compare:-

[​IMG]

16. The Stilt

The Stilt Member

You should never trust that there is no offset present, even if the VoltageObjectInfo doesn´t have it.

CHIL / IR controllers have MTP memory which can be programmed during manufacturing.
    If the ODM has used MTP configuration which features the offset, the whole VoltageObjectInfo can be disabled and the offset will still remain in use.

There is no need to program the controller each and every time if the configuration is saved to MTP.

Check the offset register with AfterBurner or similar I2C capable too before modifying the PowerPlay tables.

17. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Cheers again :D , will see what I can see ;) .

You would know this but for someone reading for the tables which have frequency value a higher DPM state can't have lower frequency than lower DPM state.

By mistake I set DPM 7 engine clock lower than DPM6 and unigine valley was bombing out to desktop, when I checked rom noticed what I'd done.

18. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    new version 2.0 of hawaii bios reader released
    it support VCE,UVD,SAMU,ACP,voltagedependency and memdependency tables edit so now it should be possible to modify bios voltage to hardcoded values (not ASIC quality related)

please recheck in hex before flashing that everything is OK but i checked twice so i hope that its working as should :)

@The Stilt: can you please check if there is overvoltage protection in XFX 390X bios? and if not can it be added? to say 1.35V?
    also im quite interested why there are 3 different clocks for gpu and mem? when it seems like only 2 were used?

19. gupsterg

gupsterg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Is this what you meant by disabled EVV in your roms?

[[​IMG]

Is there a way reader can force voltages for a dpm state when changed in one red table to another table, as they need to be the same.

Also I think the values in the green boxed voltage table are virtual voltages? when I compared his mining roms to stock that table does not get changed.

Perhaps Stilt can confirm what that section in bios is.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    getting any closer guys to the R9295x2 voltage editing ???

really hyped at the dedication in this thread keep it up guys your doing awesomely.

just hope R9295x2 voltage can be edited its all i want lol