3800X to 5900X for gaming, make sense?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by AsiJu, Jul 20, 2021.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    UPDATE: decided not to upgrade!

Hi,

I did what I know I shouldn't have, in other words check the Ryzen 5000 series CPU section for availability and prices at a local retailer.
    All models in stock and prices slightly reduced even from the initial pricing which has led to "the itch".

5900X - 589 EUR
    5800X - 439 EUR (for comparison the 3800X was 429 EUR from the same shop back in the day so not much price premium any more)
    5600X - 299 EUR

So in short what do you think, any point in going from 3800X to 5900X for gaming?
    I might do some video editing and rendering later but that's a big might.

The 5800X while cheaper seems to actually be the worst value of the entire lineup and going 8 core to 8 core seems like a wasted opportunity for the money.
    Alternatively I could get the 5600X for Zen 3 improvements but going from 8 core to 6 core is likely a bad idea?

As far as I can tell Zen 3 is a notable upgrade over even Zen 2 for IPC and gaming performance.

One more thing to consider: I plan on using the current mobo still, which means I'd need to use a custom BIOS for CPU support.
    There are several available for ASRock boards that reportedly work but that's largely based on posts in Reddit - strangely no "reliable" tech media seem to have covered any of these.

New Experimental BIOS for AMD 300 Series Motherboards : ASRock (reddit.com)

JZelectronic - Shop - JZelectronic - Shop

Furthermore this means I can only get AGESA ComboAM4 1.1.0.0.

Anyhow you can disregard the BIOS factor if you just want to look at this from the performance slash value for money perspective.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    from performance point of view - maybe,a little,although a tweaked and overclocked 3800x is not gonna hold back any card even at 1080p.
    value for money - not really if you only game.wait for zen3+ w. v-nand cache,you'll regret buying a 5900x after it drops.or just ride this x370+3800x system out until am5+ddr5,that is what I would do.It's still good for many,many years to come.

oc that cpu,tweak your ram latency,there is no card you'll possibly be bottlenecking.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    AsiJu likes this.
  3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    I went from a 3800x to 5800x and to be honest i didnt gain much using it with an Nvidia gpu apart from less money in my bank account.

OnnA and AsiJu like this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What is your GPU?
    What is the resolution that you play at?

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    GPU is Radeon RX 6800 XT and game at 1080p/144

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    That GPU is a bit of an overkill for that resolution.
    But considering both those things, you will see a good improvement in performance, when going from Zen2 to Zen3.
    But I wouldn't go for the 5900X, but rather the 58000X. Very few games will use the extra cores of the 5900X.
    And considering that consoles use a Zen 2 with 8 cores, 16 threads, I doubt this will change.

The 5900X would be a good option if you also did some heavy work on that PC. But for gamming, 8c16t will be more than enough.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    At 1080p you'll probably see a minor boost in performance. I would still wait for DDR5.

Keitosha and Undying like this.
  8. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    I agree. Malkin makes an excellent point.

@AsiJu I firmly understand the itch you're feeling. Playing out the gameplay scenarios in your mind. Wondering about the framerate boost in some titles. Will I truly experience the rush of an overall performance boost?

Each time I scratch that itch, I end up opening a sore of disappointment.

I'll share this with you. I purchased my original upgraded PC last year from Microcenter.

Open Box Used - $2,100
    10700kf
    Z490 Mobo
    1tb NVME
    RTX 3080
    32 GB 3200
    1000 Watt PSU
    Water Cooled Blah Blah

I was having posting issues (Before the GPU BIOS update) on my OLED tv. The issues got on my nerves and within 2 weeks I returned the system like an idiot. I then felt that famous "ITCH" wondering if I would gain more performance and less issues with the following bad decision.

Open Box Used - $ 2,900
    Z490 Mobo
    1tb NVME
    RTX 3090
    32 GB 3200
    1000 Watt PSU
    Water Cooled Blah Blah Blah

Bro I shelled out $800 extra dollars for hardly ANY performance gain. The "ITCH" bit my bottom. I still had to wait for a GPU BIOS update and I see very few extra frames in games. Pfffffffffftttttttt!!!!!! Am I embarrassed? Yes! Was it worth it? Absolutely not!

The $500 dollars you're thinking about spending, I would save it. Use it for parts that would truly give you a performance boost.

Good luck Bro. The urge is strong I know lol.

AsiJu likes this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Thanks guys, yeah there was the itch and then there was the voice saying you sure about that :D

10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Honestly, you should consider upgrading to 1440p
    It's a really good upgrade in terms of image quality. And with that GPU, you can still get 144 fps on almost every game.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeah not a bad idea, there are 144 ... 165 Hz WQHD Freesync monitors up for grabs for way less than the CPU and even less than what my current FHD 144 Hz cost when I got it.

That would also surely negate any CPU limits there might be.

However, RT games can be a problem. I can do 100+ fps in Control, Metro Exodus Enhanced and Doom Eternal at 1080p but that requires a bit of tinkering.
    Well except in Doom, just enable RT and marvel at the frame rate :)

Also Cyberpunk runs quite steadily north of 100 fps (RT Off) and is GPU limited consistently, as far as I've seen.
    1440p would be trickier to get smooth I guess.

So by my experience going for as high fps with as high IQ as possible, the 6800 XT isn't really too much for FHD.

Which is related to this thread, was wondering if a CPU upgrade might help reach higher minimum or average frame rate as I am still playing at FHD.

12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    1440p is worth sacrificing that bit of rt performance.
    1080p looks trash imo.It's muddy and aliasing is awful.
    It's a much better investment than upgrading 3800x to 5900x at this point.1080p is ancient.

Shataan and GarrettL like this.
  13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    At worst, you can use some resolution scaler to go back to rendering at 1080p, for those games.
    Most games have a bilinear scaler to do that.
    But now there are a games that have FSR.
    And games that use Unreal Engine 4.19 and newer can use TAAU. Although most require the user to ad some lines to the engine.ini

But personally, I would sacrifice RT for 1440p.

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I doubt any ryzen 3 or 5 series would bottleneck anything even at 480p

Highest i have seen my 3700x go is around 50% at 1080p in some bf game and mostly it is between 10 and 20 percent

15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    cpus are a massive bottleneck for high refresh gaming.there's 73% between 10900k and 1600 here.
    And avg. cpu load has nothing to do with it.

[​IMG]

it starts being an issue when you want to lock 120fps e.g. for strobing or you don't like big fps swings.
    100fps is a lot but when you're playing at 150fps and it drops to 100fps you're gonna get that sluggish feeling anyway.

TheDigitalJedi and AsiJu like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Just wait for AM5/DDR5 it will smoke everything on the market. Many of us still holding up on their older gen zen cpus until there is a real reason to upgrade.

17. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    Horus makes a great point.

I understand. You truly game with an ultra smooth experience. "Framerate is Everything." Good old days quotes of 3DFX lol. I personally would definitely increase the resolution to 1440p because the difference in detail is huge.

Asiju would you be happy with framerates between 70 and 90?

I do see and feel a difference when I game at 120fps but some titles I'm very happy with 60+. If I run Cyberpunk with max settings, max Raytracing, DLSS on quality @4k my FPS ranges from 40fps to sometimes 53fps depending on the scene. I average about 50fps. I will admit I'm happy with that and the visuals.

Your card and PC would still destroy many games with 80-120 fps at 1440p.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I consider around 90 fps my comfortable "minimum". Freesync ofc helps a lot but 100+ is just that much smoother still.

120 ... 140 is optimal.

I have to think about it.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Yeah that's what I was thinking about.

That's a notable difference even between 3700X and 5600X / 5800X.

20. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    Spoken like a true gaming enthusiast. :D:D:D

cucaulay malkin and AsiJu like this.