3770k Discussion thread - Heat Posible improvement!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Bloodduty, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have been using llc for years. I am currently using the second highest llc for 2 years on this chip. the vdroop is very pronounced without any llc and requires a lot higher setting to compensate (cpu volts)

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I find I always end using LLC at the highest level available. Serial Gigabyte board owner!

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    what are the max core temps when you left p95 run overnight? if they are pretty low I would take it up another 100-200mhz

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    73C Pretty happy with that.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Well, I've read just now that the current LLC implementations are better than what they used to be a few years back. I read that article about 2 years ago. It's been some people's experience that they do get crash and BSOD as soon as they switch from full load to no load on their CPUs.

And well, if the vDroop is very pronounced, LLC would be justified. But, here's a question: When you enter a voltage in the BIOS, then due to vDroop, would you ever see that voltage anywhere in Windows, under any load situation? What would a high voltage be dangerous to if it drops down anyways due to vDroop? Anything other than the CPU?

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I tried the liquid metal tabs but was unsuccessful in getting them to burn in so i use Revoltech thermal grease instead and it works really well,also use it on my Accelero turbo2 gpu cooler

7. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Delidded my 3770k back in July it was a pretty easy job, used a razorblade from gilette (the old ones) cut it in half and applied some tape for handling and not cutting my fingers :p and also if i accidentally slide the blade too further in the tape would stop the blade preventing me to hit the die, so yeah a double safety!
    I applied a very tiny drop of liquid pro and spread it evenly with a q-tip on both the die and the back of the ihs, this gave me a drop of -15c on all cores at 4.5GHz.

Crappy cell phone pics: (you can clealy see the blade i mentioned above)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    Mine will do 4.8 at 1.39v. These 3770k are all over the place with their volts and temp variants for each different CPU.

So I've been seriously considering delid for a while. My hands are like the devil though and just snap things and bust them like crazy from all the stupid farm work they've done, plus they are a big flappers. :O I've got some NT-H1 thermal compound left over from the Noctua NH-D14. It's a good CPU though and does 4.8 easy with thingymebob setting of 1.8 turned down to 1.6, vcore 1.39, and watchamadoodle at High (dude OC on these things is so easy I can't remember the names any more). CPU-Z tells me I'm running 4.6 at 1.2 vcore ATM and I'm getting around 66C at load from memory.

I've got some wet and dry grades sitting there for lapping too but I've got to look at how far the Noctua NH-D14 will tighten down with some of that glue removed and a tiny fraction less metal on the lid. Getting the NT-H1 thermal compound spread and cleaning it up is a pain though. Damn my hatred of biscuit poop compound! The Noctua site says such things as NT-H1 thermal compound "award winning", "non electrically conductive", and "non corrosive" so I'm guessing it may be alright?

I'm getting the heeby geebys :bawl:

I'm thinking tape too to prevent my dastardly hands mutilating the chip with el razor.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Yes use the tape method on the razor described in the 3570k OC adventure thread.
    I've got banana hands too, best to look at some youtubes of folks doing it to get some tips, this is the best method imo, see how he has the cpu positioned at edge of box when delidding :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCW508yl_Eg

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    One vid I saw a youth was using a bendy piece of plastic to cut through the glue. It did the job and obviously had much less chance of damaging the PCB (like I did). I've never seen them in the DIY shop does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was credit card sized but most definitely not a credit card!

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Interesting, i'd perhaps risk an i7 if i had that device.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If you search YouTube with '3770k delid' it's an Asian chaps video.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Well I finally got round to some semi serious overclocking today. I've been charting my attempts with Prime (large FFT's) increasing the multi just one step at a time from 4GHz. No voltage bumps required until 4.5GHz but with LLC on Extreme. Stress testing 4.7GHz at 1.27v at the moment. prime has already shut down on me nice at this voltage. So it's going to need another nudge I think.

Seriously cold conservatory at the moment so even at this speed I haven't hit over 60C yet. If Prime shuts down again I'm going to give it another nudge. :)

Turns out 4.7GHz needed 1.29v. Temps are fine at 62C. Short Prime run of 30 minutes. I want to look in to in lowering the 1.29v now if I can as I think 4.7GHz is going to be around my 24/7 overclock settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just added a IBT run. Still looking ok so far.

I will do more runs tomorrow to see if I can hit 5GHz.

14. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I've really been thinking of getting a 3770k but wow they get hot when OC'd. These are beastly CPU's so it seems there is no need to overclock, especially if its just for gaming. A lot of the test's I've seen show a bunch of games gaining only 1 fps. Some do get a bigger boost but damn I dont see the point of 150+ fps if you only need 60-120.

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Blasphemy! j/k :p

True enough I suppose if you get to a position with your hardware where you're happy. However, we are hardware enthusiast so bring on the razor blades and the volts.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nice job, now yo uneed that 5ghz bench stable c :p

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No time tonight we are off to the flicks or going for a meal! Last day off tomorrow so later tomorrow I should hopefully have a 5GHz run or two under my belt.

One point that is causing me a little upset is a cold boot bug. Could be that the present overclock is not entirely stable I suppose or I tend to believe its a memory issue. No BSOD yet though. Only happens on a cold boot, no bios screen image. Oh and lost my system speaker during the upgrade! Lol

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Hmm thats a little odd. A while back when i turned my pc on in the morning(when it was cold) windows would freeze before completely loading. Reset, worked everytime. Is that what you mean or you freezing on post? (turned out be a ram issue as well.)

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Yeah, freezing on post.

In other news it is as I feared. 4.8GHz has taken quite a leap in volts just to get prime to run. Presently running Prime at 1.34v 10 minutes so far, no issues. Temperatures up a good few degrees too. I really need to invest in a thermometer to measure ambient and to be able to properly quote the delta temps!

I'll leave this running for an hour.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I have p95 bsod one hour into the test raised voltage then 2 hours into the test, then 3 hours. I would let it run overnight for your final run. Try setting your ram to 1t it will give you a little more bandwidth