3700x build - Monitor or GPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kaltern, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Kaltern

Kaltern Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 Super
    Sorry to have to make one of 'those' threads, but I'm finding myself in a nice-to-have problem :D

I'm upgrading from a 4790k to a Ryzen 7 3700x and obviously I need to change a few more bits as well... so the system I'm probably settling on is:

Ryzen 7 3700X
    ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 Mhz 16 GB

(I already have a case, SSD and the other important stuff.

However... I'm kinda stuck with what to do about video. See, I currently rock a 3x 24" curved Samsung monitor setup, with a 144Hz in the middle. Which is fine, except it is sadly dying (turning it off for longer than it takes for a capacitor to totally drain means it powers on with a garbled display... it clears in up to 20 mins but this cannot be a good sign - and Samsung, being their usual helpful souls, couldn't fix it, instead trying to palm me off with a 'depreciated refund' of about £120... uhuh...

Anyway, I currently have a GTX 1080. Which handles most things well enough at 1080p. However... I kinda have my eye on a BenQ EX3501R 35 Inch Ultra WQHD 100 Hz HDR Curved which AFAIK is the only reasonably priced UWQHD with HDR AND faster than 60Hz display.

But I can't afford that AND a new RTX 2070 Super... I'm not a king.

So the question is... what's the more logical upgrade right now? Both the screen and the card are more or less the same cost - and I can't have both as I said. I COULD stick with the monitor and hope it stays alive (It's lasted over a year with this issue would you believe!) and go for the card (but I'm not convinced the small FPS improvement is worth it), or go for the bigger screen and stick with the 1080 (which I hope can drive all those pixels without too much compromise.)

To pre-empt the questions :p
    - Yes, I REALLY want UWQHD. I think it would be perfect for my personal use case.
    - Yes I REALLY want HDR (albeit 8 bit on this monitor)
    - I will be gaming and producing (and coding... maybe...if I can be bothered...)

I don't see any obvious benefit spending more on a 3800x, and I definitely cannot afford a 3900x (sigh). Likewise I can't afford a 2080 Super either.

Has anyone else suffered such a dilemma? Am I overlooking something? Let me know :D

2. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Yes, I am there.

I decided on the 3800x (it was only a little more than the 3700x at MicroCenter), Asus TUF Wifi, Corsair Vengence and a 2070 Super.

Trying to decide what 1440p monitor to get right now.

You'll love the x570 platform!

Kaltern likes this.
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    My gut tells me, you should buy a monitor now! And wait till next year ( fall 2020 ) for a videocard !The 1080that you have will be ok .
    This will be my step at least . Next year monitor and in two years a videocard .
    at least my two cents

As for the X570 .... ya ! it's grate . I also got the 3800x as it was reduced and costed only 20 bucks more then the 3700x

4. Hi Kaltern great questions!

Let me start off by going over a history of AMDs recent chipsets if I may.
    1. What do you plan on utilizing your X570 platform for besides a Ryzen 3000?
      • Ill give some examples
      • Over the past generations (X370/X470) you have a few upgrades iterations of newer technology yes? Lets go over some of that
      • USB throughput of up to 20Gbps vs 10
      • Thunderbolt (integrated in some I/Os and included via others as headers now exclusive to X570)
      • NVME (PCI-E 4.0 - honestly the selling point as graphics won’t saturate 4.0 for some time if ... well ever as much is speculative for now with standards moving to PCIE 5 as well too) meaning no new industry standard has been set
      • 24 CPU lanes that include 16 lanes for graphics, four for storage and four for USB 3.x Gen2
      • So; good - selling points if you need them are faster USB transports, Storage speeds (NVME) meaning you’ll be upgrading too & possibly more of them at once as the limit is 3 on X570 2 on X470 and 1 on X370 (1 for X370 if NVME) A vastly greater I/O array - RAM that can support out of box upwards in the DDR-4000 range and higher - Higher PCIE lane count.
    If all of that - the above, are things you know for certain that you’ll use from the start to the next three years, go ahead & get an X570 otherwise it’s unnecessary & I’d be willing to explain why if you want.

P.S. - I currently use a Ryzen 7 3700X (prior to that a R7 2700) with an ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING.
    • Prior to that, an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
    • Prior to that, an MSI X470 Gaming Pro

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2019

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    @K.S. His question was If he should get a monitor or a Video card for the next purchase :D
    I say go for monitor

6. ? Que Pasa

7. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    I'd say get that nice monitor :), it is one of the most overlooked components when upgrading.
    With the GTX 1080, im sure u can tank it out until next year... im holding out with my GTX1070ti :).
    Im waiting for ampere or next big gpu from amd, for a few reasons... ray tracing relatively new and current gpu are capable but not stellar performance. Not to mention mad prices from nvidia.

8. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    the prices is what drives me away from buying a videocard

cryohellinc and Hyderz like this.