3600Mhz RAM won't run on my B550

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by AmericaWestCMH, Sep 6, 2020.

1. AmericaWestCMH

AmericaWestCMH New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060S FE
    I'm not very technically inclined and need some help. I'm trying to run a Ryzen 5 3600 on an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4/ac B550 ATX motherboard with Corsair Vengence LPX 3600Mhz CL18 RAM (2x8GB).

The XMP profile shows up in the BIOS with all the correct timings and 3600Mhz but when I save and reboot it won't even POST. Red error test lights on the mobo are on for CPU and RAM when it's set to 3600Mhz. Had to clear the CMOS just to get it running again. I tried manually doing 3400Mhz, no go. It works fine at 3200Mhz. I don't understand. It's not in the approved vendor list but should that really matter?

Kinda disappointed, I hope it doesn't affect performance that much. Any tips to make it faster? Adjusting timings manually and that kind of thing is a little over my head.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Does it run at that speed when there is only one ram stick in the system?

Also..... I don't have any experience with ram past DDR3, with DDR4 does the command rate play a role?

For example with my set I cannot run a command rate of 1T at it's specified XMP profile, I need to run it at 2T when both sticks are present.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 3080
    It should be done automatically when XMP profile is loaded, but make sure that motherboard correctly set DIMM/DRAM voltage for RAM.
    Which is 1.35V (for 3200Mhz 1.2V could be enough and that voltage is what you could have set now)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    SplashDown likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    You probably need a bit more juice. Give it 1.38v.

SplashDown likes this.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Have you installed the memory in slot A2 and B2 ?
    When running two sticks of ram either Dual Rank or Single Rank, slot A2 and B2 should be used according to the manual.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SplashDown likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

and definitely consult the manual because the slot numbers are not always consistent across vendors.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Most of the manufacturers manual say dual channel should be A2-B2 then A1-B1 if your using all 4 dimms.

8. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI XC Ultra
    In addition to the points others have made, please try either the 1.10A Beta bios with SMU 46.61 or the latest 1.20 bios with AGESA 1.0.8.0 patch A. I've recently been playing around with the Taichi B550 board and couldn't get my ram working beyond 3533mhz until I updated to the beta bios. Both of these bios were stable for me and have allowed my four sticks of 3600mhz CL14 memory to work at specified timings. It might help you as well and if not, just remember that 3200mhz is the officially supported speed for your cpu.

KissSh0t likes this.
  9. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I had a 3900X that would not accept anything beyond my 3200 XMP profile. Safe to say it was quickly returned. I'm not saying yours won't but it's possible. Follow above tips. Also try running just a single stick.
    If none of that works consider a replacement CPU.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Update your BIOS....

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4ac/index.asp#BIOS

or try manually typing in each value.

Set speed to 3600MHz
    Set DRAM Vcore to 1.35V
    Set latency to 18-19-19-39 (these are generally the first 4 entries in the list)
    Scroll down til you see command rate (could also be something like cmrt) set this to 2T to begin with. If this works then you could try 1T

Save changes and reboot.