360 Vs. PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ryman03, Nov 12, 2005.

?

Which system do you prefer in terms of graphics and gameplay?

1. CPU

81.9%
  2. 360

6.9%
  3. I still play Atari!

1.7%
  4. I don't care, and in this case I shouldn't be voting.

9.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I'd say there are parts of cod2 that look impressive, mainly shaders on the beach(best i've seen in a game to date, before that it was hl2 shaders) But i have to agree, some of the game looks very dated and it does make u wonder why it runs so bad.

Most things on pc i've noticed that kill fps in cod2.

Specular settings.
    Normal mapping settings.
    Shadows

Put all these things on extra, then turn some of them down, fps will improve but at the cost of eye candy.

And i believe this is where the problem lies with cod2.

The normal and specular settings are more likely used in this game more then any other game, hence it dosent run great, but on the xbox360 with slightly newer tech in some areas, probably handles these settings easier.

Check my system to the right. Now get ready to laugh ur arse off.

Full up 1024x768 x2aa, 4xaf i get a whopping 10fps. lmao@dx9
    Full up 1024x768 x2aa, 4xaf i get a thundering 100fps. @dx7

using fraps while playing.

But dx7 dosent use any shaders. Shadows don't even appear as a setting in dx7.

The game is Very shader intense, complex shaders ps.20.

For a laugh i ran at same settings above in dx9, but at 640x480(yuck) and i get 40fps.

Yes i do believe there are issues with this game,etc.

But quite sure a patch will sort alot of it out.

2. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
  3. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    Ahhh.... people, CoD2 uses and brand new engine. NOT the old quake3 engine the first CoD used. Also, the PC version and XBox 360 version were developed in paralle by seperate teams at IW and one is NOT a port of the other.

I tell ya, you guys...you just can't stand the fact that this game looks as good, perhaps better, and runs smoother on the PC. Sad really.

4. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    MAN, what are you talking about???? This "old ass" demo is the same exact one that we are running on the PC. How else did you preview the game? The game looks bad compared to the computer and both of them are demos and both were realeased at about the same time so I believe that they both were about the same in production state so it is a really good comparison...

5. Shex

Shex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    Exactly.. there was a thread awhile ago, where one of the guru3d users who had a chance on playing CoD2 on the xbox360, saying it had poor textures like dx7. Anyway everyone as there own opinion, all I'm saying everyone might compare the xbox360(don't forget the PS3) to PC's now wait till next year, when Console hype dies down, everyones opinion will change like every other new console that arrives.:rolleyes:

6. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    These Console vs PC thread are great for a while but usually this what they all come down to:

1- It's all a matter of opinion which one is better

2- Most likey people will have both a console & a PC

7. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    CoD2's Quake 3 roots are still everywhere in the game data, config files, console commands etc. The rendering engine may be new, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the code from CoD1 still remained. I mean, it looks and feels exactly the same... especially when you switch it to DX7 mode. If they had programmed it completely from scratch, I somehow doubt they would have included that option.

Regarding optimisation, it's pretty obvious that they didn't do any for the PC version. For example, enabling "SLI optimisations" gives a better frame rate on any configuration... During a game, if you go into the console, change the picmip setting then change it back, you get an extra few FPS. I doubt issues like this will ever be fixed.

The XBox 360 version doesn't have the same level of detail as the PC version. In some recent multiplayer shots I saw, there's no antialiasing, no anisotropic filtering, and the textures are very obviously lower resolution.

8. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Some other key things to remember regarding PC games:

1: No licence fee for the developers to pay to the console manufacturer so your profits are much better.

2: New copy protection systems like Starforce & Tages are making it very hard for crackers to create no cd/dvd patches so potentially less piracy.

3: Any PC with a DirectX7 or higher GFX card (say 100 million or more worldwide) has the power to provide a very good gaming experience. Give it time & the PC will gradually become accepted by the masses more as a gaming machine than it currently is.

4: One of the things which puts your average person off is the config hassle some titles require. Microsofts new initiatives to make XP & Vista more game friendly will alleviate this to some extent.

5: The PC gaming market is the largest in the world by far. It has just been neglected in recent years as it is far easier to make money from the consoles.

9. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    Thats right. Stay in denial.

10. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Key Mouse support. Until a console offers this, I doubt I`d play any fps on one. I have owned every console out there. And never have I been able to get used to controller configs for 1st pov games.

11. meatfestival92

GPU:
    X360

[​IMG]

PC

[​IMG]

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    really now? are you sure the store you're going to is gonna have enough consoles there to actually fulfill your pre-order? i'm pretty sure there would probably be people sitting in line before you even get there. guess you'd never heard the saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"? didn't you see the news that there might only be like.... 400,000 Xbox 360's in the entire united states upon launch? supply is gonna be pretty damn limited if that's the case..... and for all you know... yours might not come til the new year.

oh.... and by the way..... i haven't touched CS since the CS: Source beta before HL2 was released..... and that was just to tide me over till HL2. CS blows. and i'm getting bored of WoW..... actually trying to sell my account. right now i'm kinda into playing CoD2, Fear, was playing Quake 4, but that got boring too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  13. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Nice pic meatfestival92, the 360 looks like the Pc with a lower res. Still it looks good.

14. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    edit : look a few posts up for the images i'm referring to.

just wanted to comment on these pics ...

the top one (360) seems more interesting, but it's the action's fault. like the models on tv getting their hair done.
    when they want straight, they frown in the curly haired picture, and they smile in the straight haired picture, and it looks better! basically the 1st impression is 'ooo, neat stuff on the 360'.

but beyond that...

look at the fence.
    on the 360 shot, see how the texture filtering is throwing out pixels on the thin parts of the fence texture? (notice along the top edge).
    there is very little of this loss on the pc version. (AA's fault)

look at th etop centre of the image, the building on the left. where it says SOZE. compare the two textures.
    the 360 one looks washed out.
    you'll see textures washed out all over the more distant objects.

the only part that looks worse on the pc is the font that says the time. but if you actually notice, the font is blown up larger for the pc version. if the characters were shrunk on the pc version like for the 360 version it would look the same. point being, same font texture, bad choice of size because you can see some blocky-ness.

but not all textures are alike.
    look at the shrub near the bottom of the screen.
    see how washed out it looks? and it's not even far from the player camera.

also, notice at the end of the street in the distance there are things on the 1st story rooftop. 2 chunks of something.
    on the 360 they look like cardboard cutouts.

but anyways, i can nitpick forever. *technically* the 360 version looks worse.
    but all in all, both look decent.
    i'm sure if you ran the pc version with the settings the 360 uses you'd get much closer to 60 fps anyways. (no aa or af, turn down texture quality, and whatever else 360 skimps on)

-schehearzade

15. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    You made some good points but the average console player will never notice stuff like that because they are going to be too busy playing the game.

16. meatfestival92

GPU:
    I had multisample transparency antialiasing enabled when I took the screen, so that might explain it. However, I think CoD2 has its own transparency AA built in, so I'm not sure.

The biggest difference for me apart from the texture filtering is the resolution of the textures. Look at the rifle, and the grass & stone wall right in front of the player. It is obviously lower res in the X360 shot.

17. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

Umm, the 360 at Best Buy had better quality than that, that doesnt look THAT great. And that PC one looks like it could be better........

But the PC one def looks better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  18. meatfestival92

GPU:
    Well, everything was turned up to full, so I guess it couldn't.

19. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    AnanTech have stripped an Xbox to look instide here's the link came out today I think :- http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610
    It's a bit buggy on accessing the article at the moment probably too many viewers.

Amendment:-
    Yep there's a Big Fat Time Out on this page must be too many viewers

20. {LSK} Otacon

{LSK} Otacon Guest

I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.