344.48 and 344.60 - FAN problems with GTX 980 MSI GAMING !!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CalinTM, Nov 4, 2014.

1. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz

Look at the fans in idle with 344.60 driver. AB doesnt record this issue.

Nevertheless, nvidia is looking into this with MSI i hope. Started a thread there, ManuelG thinks its a vBIOS issue.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    But what about the picture that someone posted in your threat on the nVidia board? If I remember correctly you could see on the graph that they spin up every X seconds for a super short while.

I'll take a look inside the case.

3. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    Thats an MSI only issue ? Didnt notice that problem here.

4. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070 Super
    Yeah, I'd like to know if it's MSI only related fail. Now I'm afraid of purchasing gtx970 as upgrade. Could it be some early MSI gtx970 PCB design failure? I'm going for Palit i think.

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Some MSI 970's had a mechanical problem with fans. MSI fixed that issue. Now its a driver issue. Could be just a vBIOS issue, hoping MSI will provide us with a newer BIOS to fix this issue.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    In MSI AB, if you set graph to display "fan rpm" it should show the bump in AB , fan % won't .

7. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes it shows. Also AB can only control only one fan. The GPU fan. If you want control of both fans only on 980, u need to install the msi utility.

8. PcZoneExtra

PcZoneExtra Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Just tested MSI gtx 970 gaming with new drivers and no issues here i visualy monitored fans.And they spin corectly.I heated up graphics card with furmark.First fan started corectly and after while secound fan started becose of heat. The fans work independent of each other.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    [​IMG]

Oh no...

AB says the fan % is constantly at 1 for some reason :D

What a nice way to decrease the fans life span -.- So, who was the bad guy here again?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

11. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1% is just an error of AB. That software doesnt support 900 series on 4.0.0 version.

Also 0% probably is not programmed to show on AB. So 1% is the same as 0.

So i take it u have the same problem after all :))

Well wait till ManuelG says something about this issue, then u should update ur bios.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    It's not a error with AB, its reading the bios fan limits, which goes min 1% to 100%
    bios has it set to do 1% up to 59c then at 60c go to 24%/900rpm and up to max at 88c .

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Well apparently yes :) But I've never noticed it until now.

I hope he gets back soon, wouldn't want to have to return my cards in 6 months when the fans are dead.

Thx for the explanation.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I doubt it will hurt fans , its probably some kind of polling but went to far .

Did you try as i mentioned few posts up to set the low point to 20% in MSI AB or EVGA Px , I think that would stop the bumps, but of course than fans are running at a low speed at idle doing it .

15. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:

I told ya, that u have this problem too. All 970 and 980 msi gaming users have this problem, using the 344.48 and 344.60 drivers.

Could be a BIOS problem, or a driver problem, or both. Still waiting for ManuelG to reply regarding this problem.

Also, until that, u sould use 344.16 driver. U could mess ur fans if they spin and stop endless in idle.

16. Killersjp

Killersjp Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    This problem is listed on the MSI forum. Def a bios problem with the lowest setting showing 1%. I did as one person said in there and modded the bios with Maxwell Bios Tweaker II verion 1.34 and NVflash and set the min to 0% instead of 1% and RPM from 23 to 0. No more spin ups in the newer drivers to .16 This fix will do for me until a new bios is released.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    After I had to RMA my MSi R9 290, I started believing that MSi isn't as good as it used to be. (I had three cards from them in the past, and NONE showed any problems, a Geforce 2 Ti, a Geforce 5200, then a Radeon 5670. The first two are still in use, and work flawlesly).

Now, it's like this... I hope there's a BIOS fix for you guys... You can also try setting a custom fan curve on MSi Afterburner.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  18. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 - Acer XR34
    I wasn't worried about this at first but since reading all the info I kinda am now lol

I'm not up for flashing a modded BIOS but I'll try and have it running min 30% in AB, at least that's (hopefully) only until a new offical BIOS or driver comes out, depending on which is the culprit.

19. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ManuelG said 1-2 more day and he will give us an answer.

20. Killersjp

Killersjp Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I only changed the fan speed and percentage in the official bios and all ok so far. Hopefully ManuelG will get the programmer guys or girls to look at this and recommend a fix for MSI to do for these cards.