34" UW vs. Dual Setup

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by mediumraresteak, Nov 15, 2018.

1. mediumraresteak

mediumraresteak New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    Hi, I have a budget of ~$1,000 for my monitor setup. I'm debating between the Dell AW 34" Ultrawide or a dual 27" monitor setup. I plan on using these for photo/video editing and gaming on the side. The allure of the AW 34" is its ability to reproduce color fairly accurately while offering a high refresh rate. On the other hand, I know there are better monitors for color reproduction. I'm not looking for a 144hz panel since just one monitor will already be in the same price range. Any suggestions on a dual monitor setup as opposed to the "best of both worlds" scenario in the AW 34"?

AW 34" Pros:
    1 monitor setup
    High refresh rate (120hz)
    Fairly good color accuracy
    Probably cheaper than a great 27" dual monitor setup

AW 34" Cons:
    "Jack of all trades, master of none" - Could get 1 gaming monitor and 1 editing monitor instead
    Not the best in color reproduction
    Still lacking mass application support from games and software

2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    I would disagree with aw3418dw being "Jack of all trades, master of none".
    Its actually probably best gaming monitor out there, with very good colors and one of lowest input lags.
    Its not best in color accuracy, but after calibration its actually quite good. It does not have DCI-P3 color range, but 109% sRGB is still decent.

Unless you need best color reproduction it should be fine.

As for dual monitor option, you didn't exactly specified details what you are looking for.
    For QHD SW2700PT can be decent but still cheaper option or do you need/like more higher resolution or high end photo options like 14bit LUT supported by monitor though then we are getting close to 1k budget just for one monitor?