320MB 8800GTS as PhysX card?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by spectral2k, Sep 8, 2010.

1. spectral2k

spectral2k Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB GTX460
    I have a GTX460 1GB card ordered. I was thinking of possibly using my current 8800GTS as a dedicated PhysX card. Is it possible with a 320MB version? Also with the amount of power connectors the GTX460 will be using I wont have any spare. Ordinarily the 8800GTS needs 1xPCI-E power connector. Is that still neccessary if it is only being used for PhysX or will the power from the PCI-E port be enough?

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Yes I would of thought that it would need the power connector connected for the card to work.

You could use a Molex to PCI-E cable converter but it is not recommended. Plus that card would be more than enough for PhysX.

I would sell that card, you could get £40 ($50) for it on ebay and use the money to buy a GT240 which is said by many to be the most you will ever need for PhysX, plus I do not think it needs a power connection as it draws all its necessary power from the PCI-E slot.

Hope this helps.

3. Boulard83

Boulard83 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb Crucial ballistix
    Dont say this ... i guess that one day, a GTX480 gona be a really poor card ...

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    True, I did not word that properly. I meant to say for the time being. My bad.

5. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    240 or 250?

6. amieneel

amieneel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    320 mb 8800gts .. I think as a physx card it is nt bad .. U do one thing, use this card for physx for some days, if it does nt make u satisfy, sell it and try another card, option is always open..