320.18 - burn your videocard

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by IMaysky, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Well on the other hand i really don't think that nvidia dev team who is testing and making drivers, i don't think they missed something and release something that has a big chance to burn videocards. Nvidia is too big for this little mistakes, i hope so :D

2. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    Here is my story http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4602700&postcount=60
    and i am having CPU / motherboard problems after this happened. This drivers stressing mainboard ram cpu alot for old 775socket cpu users.

Now i had to use Throttlestop to get constant stable system. Otherwise i am getting huge spikes on games , making gaming experience disaster. I can see latency spikes at LatencyMon , "Highest measured SMI , or CPU stall" is over 25k+ mostly. I did 3 formats , and 2 clean windows backups so far, still the same. 314.07@windows backups, 314.22@ 3 formats. Simply my pc cant handle real-time audio gaming tasks without Throttlestop program. Same bios same windows backup same system parts i was using for 3 years. So yes everything started with 320.XX and 320.18 driver install.

Simply ,my CPU is not stable anymore without Throttlestop, even on High performance power options (after 2 clean format) , MHZ is changing every second like crazy, (default now i had to use Q6600@2700mhz was using 3000mhz before) , 2700mhz , 2610, 2200, 3400mhz, 3100, 3800, 1600, 2600, every second 4 core MHZ changing like crazy. I had to use Throttlestop to stabilize mhz , this way i dont get lag spikes on games or while listening any music. Please dont tell me speedstep Eist C states power saving etc, i wasnt getting any of this strange behaviours since 3 years with those options enabled.

Please Nvidia, dont release drivers without full tests, get some Old systems on your hardware lab and test them also. I cant afford any new pc part now, and i am not here for begging also. Please just TEST your drivers on old 775 systems also. Or let us know old system users may have problems with new drivers, or please make special drivers for old / new systems. Just please....

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sorry about your loss, but it looks like any card will eventually die on you.
    Chances are that you will have a driver installed - does that mean driver burned your card?

Sure enough that's a possibility, but how exactly did you manage to pinpoint the driver as culprit,
    as opposed to lets say your PSU, electrical surge, wear&tear, summer heat, wrath of gods etc etc?

320.18 have been out for 2 weeks and have been D/L-ed thousands of times... I'll let you work out the odds

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Sergio
    I've had similar experience few months ago. Thought my card had been dying.
    Simply re-seating GTX 460 did the trick.

5. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    Yes, how many times can you repeat. I had no problems with 314.22 There was no artifacts in play and no artifacts on the desktop. When I installed the 320.18 in my Assassin Creed 3 appeared artifacts. One day on my desktop appeared artifacts. When I went back to 314.22 at me again everything was fine (And it speaks about the problem driver 320.18). In Assassin artifacts were gone. But after I went Assassin I took a chance and set back 320.18 (I decided that nothing bad will happen.) and as much regret in the end.
    I already wrote above, when to me a week ago, when a friend came up to me on the test your graphics card 450gts, I stood exactly 320.18. When we connected the video card, after loading the desktop computer hangs after the restart and mark the opening test 3DMark06 test aborted with an error. When I removed and put 314.22 - all was well. Again, this shows the curves 320.18. If the problem was not in the drivers but in hardware, it is logical to assume that the problems would arise and 314.22 do not you?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I am using that driver right now without any problems

7. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    And if drivers (320.18) lead to artifacts on your desktop (not my one) it does not say that something is wrong? Once upon a time Nvidia released a certified driver 196.75 which led to a halt cooler. They were withdrawn. But before I knew it I also stood. And I was lucky, I was spared the problem. So like many now bypasses the problem with 320.18. Some were lucky and some do not

8. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    thx Noisiv, i already did that couple times before formats/windows backups.
    Here is an example picture without using Throttlestop program ,
    [​IMG]

Before 320.xx drivers everything was normal for my system, now without throttlestop forcing MHZ , multiplier etc i cant play any game or play music watch movie etc.

edit: i had to add, its like system healing itself each day, but so slowly, my cpu stalls getting better, it was around 25k+ spikes. No hardware change, no bios / bios settings change / same windows backup (also new formats i tried) , after 320.xx drivers my system is not stable as before.

edit: With throttlestop program :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  9. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:

Yep i had the same issues in Assassins Creed 3, i remember i was playing AC3 and i saw that a new driver was released, updated to the latest one, the 320's, and when entered AC3 to play again, i saw that i had in the menu and in the game map artifacts, happened only in menu and game map, after about 10 minutes of gameplay. And happened only when i had all the game settings to the minimum, because when i updated the driver AC3 resetted his quality settings to minimum, then putted the settings back to ultra quality, and no more problems.
    So there is something about 320.

10. Iruwen

Iruwen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Game issues with a driver are a completely different topic than claiming it fries cards.

11. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    My two cents since I’ve been using the 320’s I’ve had a problem with my titan s/c. in MLL. I get artifacts like described in this tread. Now it only happens in MLL, mind you, but it happens and my fan ramps up to high so I know the card is getting hot.. I’ve been debating on going back a few drivers and I think this had tipped me over the edge. Oh and if memory serves I kinda sorta remember it happing before were a driver fried some boards and eventually nvivida got it's thumb out and admitted it :bang:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  12. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    IMaysky, I feel bad you lost so much.
    Have you considered that the Power Supply could be the problem?
    In the warm case, a lower reputation Power Supply can go off voltage by as much as 25~35%. Remember, those voltages should not vary more than 5%.
    If this is the case, you certainly would have the problems you describe in OP.

I hope this was helpful

13. PolishTechGuy

PolishTechGuy Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780GHz
    Is Ukraine rly that bad that you had to mention you live there?

14. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080TI/1080TI/VEGA
    indeed ... a bit exagerated

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    He can`t find local NVidia service or contacts.

16. m2896

m2896 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G
    Can't confirm TS statement, but my GPU temperature rised in many games with 320.18.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    When 3 cards die on somebody ("gtx 465 and gtx 260 were burned, the symptoms were identical") in the same exact way, I would suspect something else going on that may be causing that. Out of 12-14 Nvidia cards I've owned, none died (other than a 7900gt that had dots/snow artifacts due to faulty vidmem from a bad batch).

Still have a gtx275 that endured 105c for 1/2 and hour due to a problematic driver that messed up fan speeds, but still running like a champ in another PC.

I know that out of 100's of thousands of cards sold, there are many cards that fail. But for one individual to have 3 cards all dying in the same way just doesnt make sense to me.

18. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yep too much variables, every piece is different.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If you had 3 cards die the same way, I'd look somewhere other than at the drivers. How old is your PSU and what's the amperage? I see your CPU is overclocked as well, have you thought about PSU aging? Sounds to me like your PSU isn't up to the job anymore. Also what is the exact model of your PSU?

20. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    i have this instaled on a gt 610 and the gpu is oc and no problem for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.