3090 Ti owners thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by venturi, Apr 6, 2022.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    figured there might as well be one (thread)

So here are some early benchmarks,, temps, power draw etc, without optimizations, see system spec for PC configuration, yes... its a SFF case

IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg

system spec
    2x 3090 Ti RTX Founders Edition & SLI / NvLink bridge
    2x 8280L, 56/112 cores, Asus c621 Sage Dual socket bios 6605
    1.5 TB ram. DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs 1600W silent digital power supply
    (Data drive) 4x VROC Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (51.2 TB volume) (OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (8TB). Asus PA32UCG-K monitor,
    TT SFF case, MS Data Center 2022 (customized) & Ubuntu (customized)

this is a 3 minute test, took measurements at 2/3 of the way through:

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

View attachment 10612

nvlinkView.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's insane man, but I love your insanity. :D

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    What's more crazy than buying a 3090ti..........

I can only assume this is for a workstation since SLI is a pretty crappy gaming experience nowadays afaik?

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for sharing extreme builds like this one.

I was wondering if anyone would actually start a 3090 Ti owners thread or not.

5. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I use it as part of my dissertation in DL and NN, its my personal PC. Yes it can also play games (who wouldn't).
    It's a SFF size footprint/build, runs cool and quiet and isn't noticeable in the room

its not a from scratch build, it already had two 3090 in it previously

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Do you live in an igloo by any chance?

[​IMG]

7. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    RDR2 benches

using 2x 3090 TI FE nvlink
    RDR2 4k (3840x2160) , max all eye candy settings (except no motion blur)
    version 1436, no DLSS available

IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Solfaur, Odarnok, The1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    So, benchmarking

tough call on what can be a standard.
    So I went looking for something that is truly free in its max configuration, can do mgpu, ray tracing, rasterization, select object counts, in vulkan, DX, and metal, can do compute and can do CUDA.

Also wanted it to report GPU load, temps, and power, and be OS agnostic

all I could find is Gravity Mark.

https://gravitymark.tellusim.com

I ran some benches with both the 3090 cards and the 3090 ti cards

https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/

Maddness likes this.
  9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Awesome information @venturi. As other Gurus have pointed out your temps are impressive for such a massive setup. I truly like seeing the performance and innovation with enthusiast builds. I ran SLI and Crossfire for many years. I always found something new to explore with each machine.

I recently added some subtle equipment to bring down my temps. I see a difference of approx 4-5 degrees cooler which I'm very happy with,

Great work and thanks for the info.

10. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Hi

so I wasn't happy with the temps. I re-padded and repasted both cards. I used the gelid pads and I used the pink kryonaut extreme. It will need a few days to settle down but it seems to be about a 7C difference in the ram and about a 2C difference in the GPU/GPU hotspot.

On the 3090 ti FE there isnt any reason to use 2 or 3mm pads, 1mm to 1.5mm seems to work best. I did do some creative padding on the backside to move some of the heat off the pcb to the outer shell.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I get an extra 1C out of it as it settles.

I watched a few videos on the AIB partner cards being apart and it seems an easier disassembly than the 3090 ti. It took me 1.5 hours in total process per card. the bulk was spent cleaning, and then selecting and cutting the pads to the right size. 1.5 mm was slightly too thicj and 1.mm seemed too thin, the gelid pads don't compress that well so it was trial and error .

agonized over the TIM. Had noctua 2, gelid extreme, and kryonaut gray and pink. Best guess was the kryonaut pink.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Too bad that temporal effects, including taa, doesn't work correctly with sli, thus you are forced to stick with fxaa and get awful jaggies all over, or live with the massive amounts of added latency and visual artifacts from taa with sli.

RDR2 is one of the main reasons i chose to drop sli myself.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If you aren't happy with temps, then just remove that glass plate... it's not contributing to anything anyways, and it's sufficating your top card, making it just breathe the hot air from the gpu below.

A M D BugBear likes this.
  13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    RT is also heavily dependent on temporal data, AFR had no future the day before yesterday.

14. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Actually, no, the game is impressively smooth and its not showing any of those issues. So I'm not sure where your impression came from. The mgpu Vulkan is not an SLI direct comparison. I don't think I have ever seen the issues you mention.
    Do you have the same setup and are experiencing those issues?

I have two current PCs with this type/similar setup of setup and I don't have TAA or SMAA 'jaggies" issues.

My comment on temps relates to me wanting better temps, they were not bad to begin with (the enemy of good is better)

Current temps:
    My temps are about 59C to 68C (it was 71-72C pre re-pasting /pre re-padding)) on heaviest load per card (ran the gravity mark mgpu in a loop, in 40 min, the temps didn't get any higher than 61C)
    in single card application, the card not in use idles around 29C-38C
    Both cards in idle range 29C-36C

CPUs under load run as high as 46C-47C
    CPUs idle run at about 24C-26C

hope that helps.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Using what AA settings? You dont show that.
    And im not saying that it wouldn't be smooth, which would be uneven frametimes, but rather that it drastically increases latency. I got that "impression" cause i've used sli in rdr2 myself... and yes, it uses vulkan mgpu, but it is essentially the exact same thing, and with the same limitations - namely that anything that reqruires intercommunication between the cards, which includes any temporal effects such as TAA, will add a substantial amount of latency, aswell as possible visual artifacts and a large performance cost vs running the same effect on a single gpu.

I stated that rdr2 was one of the mains reasons that made me drop sli, so what do you think?

Do you mean to say that the bottom card gets 59c and the top card gets 68c? If so, then the top card is deffo getting choked.

16. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Honestly, your right on several points. I think SLI is rather dead, the change now is apps and games that are specifically written to be multi GPU, not anything less than complex. The DX12 magic bullet of mgpu didn't really take hold. Vulkan scales much better than DX12 and seems better embraced in many indie developments. With that said, in pure SLI, I would usually avoid TAA (med/high) and favor SMAA or FXAA, There are bumps - I had to learn a lot of inspector tricks and settings to get the best out of it - something no one should have to go through. I've had to learn some nvlink inspector tricks to get the full effect and again, not something folks should have to do. I have had good SLI experiences in many titles, I have had poor SLI experiences in even more titles. After a while one learns which engines suck at it and which are ok (example UNITY suck in SLI and now in NVlink) UE3 great in SLI, but UE4 required skullduggery, etc. So SLI was a mixed bad based on how much one wanted to believe it was great,- it was 25% great for many games, 20% so-so games, and the best to to say much about the rest.

Some smooth mgpu titles are RDR2, SOTTR, ROTTR, Sniper elite 4, Zombie Army 4, Gears, X4, Strange Brigade, Quake 2 RTX, the last three Hitman games, Deus Ex MnkDvd, Echo, Ashes of the singularity, some of the civilization games,

Where is the carrot? in order to get 4K, 5K and 8K to be playable with max eye candy settings, its going to require more than one GPU for years to come. Example, Cyberpunk 2077, graphics are 'OK" but the frames with RT and max candy (psycho settings) stink at 4K - 44 FPS on a 3090 Ti in the built in benchmark (ver 1.52). This game would benefit from an mgpu make over. But its single card only. All that horsepower and 44 FPS.....

Also even when using the 3.9 DLSS on quality in cyberpunk, there is significant drop in texture clarity, resolution and definition. S the answer to getting the frames in an RT game is not DLSS if one is trying to max the visual experience at 4k, (we don't speak of 8K and cyberpunk). Sometimes it seems DLSS is there just to give the illusion that Ray Tracing is playable at larger resolutions.

I've had great success improving Star Citizen / Squadron 42 (another behemoth). But the field of MGPU games is poor. Hopefully as monitors grow in resolution there may be more effort on MGPU. But even the future 4090 RTX is not going to provide decent 4k, 5k and 8k gaming with max eye candy and RT, no DLSS as a single card.

Unfortunately, my rig also has to do my dissertation, so that's why it exists, and that is where it gets its workout.

On temps, not quite
    the top card was getting 68C even when it was a single card (the two 3090 ti did not arrive all at once). Actually it was getting 71-72C on max load. When the other card came in I also tested it individually and it got about the same.

There is radiant heat from the top card so when only one card is in use , the second card in idle warms up another 2-3 C.

So now, in a situation where BOTH cards are being hammered, I get 68C for the top card and 66-67C for the bottom card. Those temps are still good, and better than most folks get. Maybe its the open case or maybe its the fact that the cards are also 3.5cm additional space above the board due to the pci solid extensions allowing air to come in between board and cards.
    I raise the cards of the board to allow better cooling and space for the 4x U.2 array connectors.

There is one strange anomaly:
    If I use GPU acceleration in the browser (checkmark in a setting) - as the fans are normally off in 2D, the cards together rise to 38C nd then the fans may kick on ever so slowly.

I don't use Edge (completely removed from my system) but I use Vivaldi as a browser (chrome based). There is a setting in Vivaldi to use DX, OpenGL or Vulkan. When I use and have now decided to continue, when I use Vulkan and GPU acceleration, the cards don't warm up like when DX was default selected. But the content is smoother in "feels" snappier (yes, I know it depends on internet bandwidth). Regardless, Vivaldi browser is mgpu, as well. the setting is in "experimental flags"

So I'm watching various details surrounding the observations I make.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree with most of what you write here. I was a diehard sli user for 15 years, and i am (sadly) well versed in all the shinangans you had to do in nvidia inspector, aswell as other stuff you had to do, in order to get sli to work properly. I remember in metro exodus, where you had to hex edit the exe file, to disable certain effects on SSR - otherwise sli didn't scale. But after doing that, sli scaled nearly perfectly in dx11, and you could still use SSR.

https://i.imgur.com/Jog0Dbf.jpg

I also very much agree on it varying a great deal based on engine - my favourite engine in this regard was actually frostbite - even when dice stopped supporting sli, it still worked perfectly when you just did the sli bits yourself.

Imo mgpu has been total dog**** though... the only good implementation i saw was SOTTR, and even then it came with caveats (like TAA giving massive amounts of ghosting and huge performance hit), and it actually ran better in dx11 with sli hack, when not cpu bottlenecked.

dx11 smaa
    https://i.imgur.com/LwH7EpZ.jpg

dx11 taa
    https://i.imgur.com/fcH4XZL.jpg

dx12 smaa
    https://i.imgur.com/PNoz8De.jpg

dx12 taa
    https://i.imgur.com/L3glO4W.jpg

Notice how the frametime graph is WAY thicker in dx12 even with smaa, indicating way more frametime fluctuations (aka less smooth), and with taa, it just goes to crap. Fps hit is also massive on dx11 with taa, but at least frametimes remain rock steady. But yeah, in nearly all games using sli or mgpu, taa had to be disabled, and use either fxaa or smaa, or heavier stuff such as msaa or super sampling.

Regarding dlss... yes ! Dlss is deffo a degradation to image quality... everyone and their grandma's can try to deny it all they want, but it's just factual truth. HOWEVER, 8k with dlss (depending on the implementation, obviously) looks pretty darn amazing. Not quite as good as native 8k, but the perceptible image degradation with dlss is very minor at 8k.

https://i.imgur.com/UfrCeIm.jpg

Cyberpunk runs nearly as well at 8k with ultra performance dlss as it does at 4k quality dlss, and it looks quite a bit better.

I do personally think that with the adaption of RT and dlss, the focus has gone completely away from mgpu... and regarding 4090 - i gotta say, im really looking forward to doing 8k with maybe dlss balanced on it :p

Interesting that they are essentially at the same temps. Im not that suprised about core temps though - the FE cooler was also very strong in that regard with the original 3090 FE - it was the cooling of everything else on those cards that was the issue - especially the vram cooling of the memory modules on the backside.

18. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I had to resort to make custom cables, designed and built for the 3090 ti, after prototypes, I'm having a batch made, delivery in a few weeks

Does anyone else need cables for type 4 interface / PSU?
    I can add more to the run.

.....and this is the 3090 ti owners thread

cable.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I simply replied to what you wrote, but GJ being a **** about it.

20. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Lol, I meant that folks with 3090 ti may be interested in the custom cable, and may be in the thread looking for a cable solution. There aren't any out there, had to go make them. Th evga 2x 8 pin needed to be a 3x 8 pin and does not have the 4 pin sensing on the plug. The corsair cable is 2-6 months away if they even make it, they skipped the last time.

hence the " this being a 3090 Ti owners thread" as a resource. ;)