3090 Strix OC temps - are things looking normal?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LukaMrk, Oct 20, 2020.

1. LukaMrk

LukaMrk New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Hey guys!

I was one of the lucky fews that got my hands on this magical card - and yes, it is truly magical. I have a question though;

I've been getting weird problems regarding the fan speeds and temps on my gpu, and I'm not sure if things (stats) are looking as they should with my setup. Comparing to other reviews, such as the one here on guru3d, my temps seem way to high.

Here's an image of the statistics after 10 mins of 3dmax stress testing: https://imgur.com/a/7aFswNZ (also attached)

70c at 80% fan speed and 390-400W power draw seem a bit high, compared to guru3d's 65c at 70% fan speed. I'm also getting around 40c at idle.

What do you guys think? Is it because of my PC case? I'm not sure if the guru3d reviews was on an open case.

Thank you so much for hopefully settling my anxiety haha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. mbm

mbm Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 RTX
    I dont see 70C as high.
    Im running 60C on a TUF version though.
    good airflow makes a huge difference

LukaMrk likes this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Remember that Hilbert is running all his tests on an open test bench which for obvious reasons is not comparable to a PC case.

Which case do you have? As you know it's a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated. So if you had an older card which didn't require as much air flow you probably need to check your fan setup.

70C isn't high but 80% fan speed might be if you don't like noise. If you don't mind noise then you don't have anything to worry about.

Idle temps : same thing there, it depends on the case and if you have tempered glass or not. Idle temps should be the least of your problems.

LukaMrk likes this.
  4. LukaMrk

LukaMrk New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Thanks for the input! I have a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX, so quite new! The noise isn't annoying me however, so that is no problem. And as for the open case thing about the testing, that makes sense considering the different temps!

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    It's a decent case but not that airflow focused. I'd either try to ramp up the front fans a bit or maybe even add one more fan at the front and one more at the top/back of the case.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Bad case for airflow, especially for the gpu. Get a bigger case, with more airflow...