3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Finally EK customer rep email me that the EK full cover water block and backplate for my Asus rtx 3090 Tuf Gaming OC will be shipping within 2 weeks ( before end of the month ) . Meanwhile i bought a Ram cooler water block that i will attached to the backplate wish will help cool the back of the cards because it gets very hot , scorching hot and that's why some video cards have problems overclocking the ram and core due to high temperatures as i have tested this already ( I measured with a Fluke digital multimeter probe and a ir temp gun ) -

Low temperatures on the back of the pcb area ~ 42c where there is lots of ram and the 2 vrms back area = stable overclocks of mem ( for me max stable memory overclock is 1351Mhz with high cfm Noctua industrial 140mm fan attached to the back of the card ) , High temperatures on the back of the pcb area ~89c ( no fan ) where there is lots of ram and the 2 vrms back area = stable overclocks of mem ( of only 1290Mhz ). So , guys you need to have some high air flow on the back of this cards to cool it for stability purposes as this back area gets scorching hot , i tested this after a few hours of red dead redemption gameplay non stop.

This is the ram cooler waterblock from ocool for 6 memory sticks - https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...6-universal-acetal-black-nickel-ac-17273.html , that will be attached with artic alumina thermal adhesive thermal compound to the EK back plate - http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will look like this :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Maddness, jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I did some testing of the Asus Tuf Gaming OC rtx 3090 after doing all the v.mods and running it on my dual compressor single stage phase unit at -50c iddle and -33c load . This video cards love low temperatures and will perform their best at lowest temps possible on your cooling of choice , please make sure you have good air flow if on air cooling , water cooling is a must for overclockers !

** Just for fun , hwbot competitive benchmarking **

Asus Tuf Gaming OC rtx 3090 running at 2430/1351Mhz at -33c load.

[​IMG]

2310/1350Mhz at -33c

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Regarding MLCC/Pos-caps discussion, checking MLCC behaviour with temperature indicate that they are drastically more dependant on temperature than Pos-caps.
    ASUS gpus being full of MLCCs lower temperature make it all the more favorable!

chispy likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

PCMR called and you picked up :D nice

Maddness, jura11 and chispy like this.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Or like this:
    Love from Norway :D
    Palit 3090 oc better stay cool on thebackplate now....
    [​IMG]
    6xdimm cooler[​IMG]

6. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090 Palit
    Somebody told me this:"750w is not enough. You need at least 850w or more to ensure system stability, especially overclocking."

IS this true?<last question>

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Awesome ! looking good @nizzen , did you used Artic Alumina to attach it ?

8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Carillo did it, and it's drilled through the backplate. Thermalpads (alot) and screws.

chispy likes this.
  9. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    This card is so massive how do you know beforehand if it will fit in your case?

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Allways have big enough case ;)
    Like LD cooling V8 reverse like I have :D
    Or use benchtable like we are benchmarking with in our garages :p

11. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    i have 1000W SF, but average powerdraw is only +20-40W above 2080Ti with 104% PL in worse case
    ofcourse only 2x8pins
    waiting for FCB from EK
    Gainward Phoenix 3090 GS, i have good experience with Gainward

12. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Got any suggestions for sheets of thermal pad ? They seem to be ridiculously expensive.

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
  14. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    My question was nothing more than an attempt to source some thermal pad at a reasonable price, I assumed due to your build that sheets of thermal pad was something you may have knowledge of.
    I actually need them to replace the original fans on 2 cards that are currently waterblocked, as well as some spare for future projects.

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Sorry. I'm buying thermal pads from a store here in norway. The pads are pretty expensive and they have spec: W/mK=12.5. Very good for memorycooling, replacementpads for gpu coolers etc...

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice , sadly i saw that Carillo killed his rtx 3090 with shunt mods :( , got to be careful with this stuff as this cards pull some heavy wattage and runs hot.

jura11 and nizzen like this.
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I personally use Thermalright Extreme Odyssey thermal pads or Thermal Grizzly Minus pads and if you want another ones then Fujipoly pads

Gelid or Arctic Cooling are good ones but they don't have as high thermal conductivity as above @nizzen posted or Thermalright

I started too use Thermalright TFX and TF8 which seems are bit better than Kryonaut

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I can barely close my case, this card is so massive.

Having a blast so far.

48H after receiving it i had flashed EVGA FTW3 Ultra OC BIOS on my MSI Gaming X Trio to allow Power up to 450W (from 390W).
    It's overclocking like a charm, performs really well and stay cool.

19. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    It took me all weekend to fit two 3090 FE in basically a small form factor case. KY and a shoehorn

Maddness likes this.
  20. fleggy

fleggy Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Can anybody check idle clock in MSI AB? I can see 210 MHz jumping to 0 MHz and back. Voltage is also jumping from 736 mV to 0 mV and back. There is nothing relevant/interesting in the event log, everything works normally. I'd like to know if it is just my "problem" or not. Thanks
    Windows 10 2004, standard driver 456.71, MSI AB 4.6.3. beta3

EDIT: only MSI AB app should be on the desktop. All other windows should be closed/minimized including HW monitor graphs to see this phenomenon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020