3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Finally got my Asus Strix OC 3090 and ek water block + backplate. Will sell my Asus Tuf OC 3090 to a friend after i'm done with benchmarks on sli x2 rtx3090.

[​IMG]

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Definitely this is not normal :( , i'm so sorry to hear the problems you have with your card. I tested my Asus Strix 3090 today on stock cooler for a few hours gaming sotr and f4 no coil whine here. I hope you get a replacement fast.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Wanna trade ? xD

chispy likes this.
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Do you have a kidney ? I sold one already :D , i might need one back lol :eek::D

Maddness, fantaskarsef and endbase like this.

5. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    With some PSU coilwhine is more pronounced or you will hear that more with that I can only agree there and I'm too sorry to hear that @Dragam1337

I have Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix which under water and when I first time put under water I could hear coilwhine as well, after hearing that coilwhine I swapped thermal pads and coilwhine now I can hear just at literally at high power draw when I'm close to 366W

I will probably getting as well Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC for myself, I'm now at 899 place in queue hahaha, I hope I will see my RTX 3090 by end of the year, my friend is with his Palit RTX 3090 at 69th place in queue

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. SesioNLive

SesioNLive Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    upload_2020-11-5_11-45-59.png

That's what I get out of my 3090 FE without playing around too much.. Is that an okay score? Don't really know what the avg is for this card.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I mean, the days we live in... cards at their technical max, so that these days not fan noise is the most annoying thing we hear from the case, but coil whine... and not everybody has a spare GPU at home to keep oneself afloat, for what ever RMA reason ever.

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Same AIB as the rest, they've not really done anything unique. Apart from their fourth fan - the 'clip on'.

I tried one other, Gigabyte - but it wouldn't change anything given it's an Ampere design choice and not down to AIB. The rest refused to flash and claimed they couldn't even see my display adaptor. Which was great.

I think yours are just quieter. They're spinning up when you do mostly anything. But you can't hear at the lower speed. Unfortunately mine are very audible. if yours actually aren't spinning then somehow PNY have reverse engineered that feature.

I omitted something important - the fans spin up on more than just temperature now, so the MSIA fan curve is no longer the same use it was. They go up on 40W power use and more now. You use any app which requires some juice on your graphics, even a tiny amount, and the fans spin up. They get quicker as the temp scales up of course, but they don't just start based on temperature any more. It's a design change for Ampere and I'm not sure why tbh.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah... asus wont do anything though, and refered me to the dealer. Obviously the dealer wont / cant send me a new card, as they dont have any, and they want me to send the card to them so they can test the card themselfs before doing anything... so would be without a gpu for months. Not really a satisfying situation ! Asked the dealer now if i can send it to them after christmas, so i at least have the gpu through the holiday period with valhalla and cyberpunk, and then deal with the rma after that... waiting for a reply from them...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Hi, been sent an internal Nvidia video which shows that's the design. Fan stop isn't the same thing as this. Fan stop means no load/temp no spin. But this isnt that.

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Then your card may have a bios to override this behaviour. And that's fair enough. PNY - which model? I'll try it on mine.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Well they just replied that they wont be sending me a new gpu in either case, they would just be giving me back the money, but they wont do it on an rma, so i have to make use of the 14 day return policy... freaking sux. Ordered a 3090 strix from another dealer, and hope i get it before cyberpunk, and that it wont have awful coil whine -_-

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Maybe you can advise - I'm unable to flash this thing. Under every version of Nvflash, the only one that actually lets me flash is the original card BIOS. I either get pci subsystem mismatch or no adapter found with every single version of Nvflash be it modded, 64, whatever - so either this card is completely write-protected or I'm going horribly wrong somewhere.

14. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Master
    I had a similar issue with fans ramping up on my 2080Ti just doing normal
    stuff like opening a browser because I had experimental features enabled
    in Geforce Experience.
    Opening the Performance tab and closing it solved it and fans went back to
    normal for me. Maybe something with driver so might be worth a try before
    flashing the GPU. I normally use Afterburner with a custom fan profile only
    but wanted to test the new performance feature and overlay in GFE.
    I had Afterburner with the custom fan profile running in the background
    while trying it.

If not maybe the solution for flashing that SpajdrEX posted in the 3080
    owner thread helps. Maddness had a similar issue and it worked I think. :)
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3080-owners-thread.434251/page-18#post-5848053

Danny_G13 and Tyrchlis like this.
  15. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE

You were correct i am hitting a voltage Limit Wall realized this shortly after posting then forgot to update.

my average in game clocks are around 1980-2115mhz. my ram clocks are stable at 10,752mhz though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Lily GFX, nizzen and Tyrchlis like this.

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    It did!

Thank you so much Lily, I managed to flash the BIOS to a Palit with those tips, and now it's silent except in gaming. Thank you again! KFA2's bios was just rubbish.

Tyrchlis and Lily GFX like this.
  17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    It's pretty easy once you use the protectoff tag.

Lily GFX likes this.
  18. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Master
    No worries, I am happy you got it sorted. :)

Danny_G13 likes this.
  19. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    I just do not care haha - if I brick it I brick it. There's no point worrying about that. If I want something to do something, I'll do what it takes.

And I'm probably older than you ;)

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    PS the performance of this thing is much better and much more stable now. It's not INCREDIBLE but it's not far off it, and is a substantial boost over my 2080Ti now. Won't lie, having silence has made such a difference.

Any word on a hybdrid AIO water cooler for these?