3080 tuf OC ed. Same stutter in apex once/twice a game (w/frametimegraph)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kman, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    @kman Have you ever run the Intel Memory Latency Checker tool?? I ran the following commands via a batch file, to check the idle memory latency and then loaded system latency. Replace the folder path in the batch file below, to the folder location you unziped it.

If your latency results are a lot higher could point you toward a memory issue or configuration with your memory kit. My Asus board wasn't setting a few of the secondary timings correctly from the XMP profile, so I had to set those manually. I can't remember which timings but a few of them were almost double what the XMP profile specified when set to Auto.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intelr-memory-latency-checker.html

Code:
    @echo off
    E:
    cd E:\Stuff\Tools\Memory Tools\Intel MLC

mlc --idle_latency
    mlc --loaded_latency
    pause

[​IMG]

2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I checked the memory timings on the package the ram came in and they match the xmp profile in the bios.(I checked the package and it says CL16-18-18-35)
    Is this what you meant?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    How do you see secondary timing from memory sticks?
    I always thought XMP is only primary timing as shown by app like CPU-Z and the MB will adjust the secondary timings accordingly.

4. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    So CL16-18-18-35 are primary timings then?

Also lets say I use intel latency checker.What exactly am I looking for?I don't get anything from the picture you showed.

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Thaiphoon Burner reads the full XMP profile from memory. Most motherboards won't utilize the other values from the XMP profile and only read the primary timings. At least for me tFAW, tRRD_S, tRRD_L, tRFC were all significantly higher when set to Auto.

But you should also test the latency with that tool.. if your 9900K isn't somewhere between 40-50ns likely something is wrong which could account for some of the stutters.

[​IMG]

6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    What about timing configurator from asrock?My old timings I took 24 days ago [​IMG]

Ok I downloaded intel latencymon checker and put the content of the zip file in this
    "C:\Users\Anon\Desktop\intellatency"
    What do I do now exactly?I don't want to mess up my w10

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    The ASrock tool reads what it's set in the BIOS or what the Auto timings are set to, not what the actual XMP Profile is.

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I downloaded the intel latency checker[​IMG]

"C:\Users\Anon\Desktop\intellatency" what now?
    Don't want to mess my w10 OS by mistake.

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    You can delete the Linux folder, you only need the Windows one. It's not going to screw your Win10 OS it's just a benchmark tool it doesn't install anything.
    Create a batch file (run_mlc.bat) in that Windows folder, open it in Notepad and copy/paste the code below. Save it. Run the batch file as an Administrator.

Code:
    @echo off
    C:
    cd C:\Users\Anon\Desktop\intellatency\Windows\

mlc --idle_latency
    mlc --loaded_latency
    pause

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    [​IMG]
    with chrome in the background. Without chrome the ns was 44.(did 2 runs)

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    @kman That latency report looks about right for 3200Mhz CL 16. The only thing that jumps out at me is in the loaded latency test, the latency jumps kinda substantially at 50 injection delay and lower when the memory bandwidth has hit it's peak of 40GB/sec.

I guess I could try to set my memory kit to the same timings as yours see if my results are different? It's hard to directly compare to mine as I have a DDR4-4000 CL 17 kit, so it's lower latency and higher bandwidth.

12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Yea I honestly don't know dude as I don't usually mess with ram timings and the like.If you're willing to go that far to help me thanks in advance.

Update:Could it because I have vccio/vccsa set 1.15v manually?
    Asus mobo on auto has vccio set at like 1.3 and vccsa set to 1.25 so at some point a couple of years ago I've had them manually set to 1.15 ever since when I enable XMP. (because someone at some point told me thats too high)

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ahh, that app, I have tried a few versions of it but it never runs on my system. I get the license # popup window but when I hit close the exe stays running in TM but no GUI shows.
    I thought it doesn't support my old hardware but it says fully supported. No biggy I was just curious of the app when I saw it first mentions a few yrs ago.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok, For kicks I tried that Intel MLC and my results are below, mind you this is on a 3570k, 16gig's of DDR3@1866.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]https://photos.google.com/u/1/share...?key=N1BRU0ZwaVg4Z190NU5ocm9YYlRIWkNrcWw5bmVB

I also checked HWinfo64 and it seems it can read SPD as the timings matched the XMP profile which is 1600.
    Also if you want to benchmark memory "MaxxMem2 works pretty good, even Geekbench4 has memory section at end.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  15. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Those bad results?You said anything over 50 ns is bad right?

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    You mean my results, I think they're fine for the ram used, remember this is DDR3@1866 not exactly fast frequency.
    I get low 50ns in most BM.
    I have no problems with the system, just trying that Intel test but you need 4xxx+ CPU (Haswell+) to get full support on tests.