3080 tuf OC ed. Same stutter in apex once/twice a game (w/frametimegraph)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kman, Jan 6, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Do you happen to play wow by chance?

2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Nope I play other games with no troubles at all

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Have you tried any of the 460.xx drivers by chance?

I'm currently using 460.97 but wonder if I should go back to 457.51. I am getting some spikes pointing to ntoskrnl.exe so I don't know what really causes them.

4. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    All of the 461's I have nothing good to say about the 461's :)

5. xiOpiye

xiOpiye Guest

GPU:
    MSI GeForce RTX308
    rtx 3080 new drivers... no changes...

6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I can say the same thing for all 3080 drivers xD Either I got some sort of defective card or I dunno.Card cant do 1440p 165hz properly without being a bit of a micro stutter fest.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3080-tuf-oc-random-micro-stutter-at-1440p-80-gpu-sage.437119/
    Just got a 1440p 165hz monitor and the card can't hold its crap.It's mostly smooth if I revert to 1080p 144hz or 1440p 120hz.Tells me the card can't run properly when really stressed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  7. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Yea, complete uninstall fixed it. There used to be some service running in the background that caused the stutters.

I'm experiencing no stutters with mine. I do use Process Lasso for its automatic optimizations, don't have monitoring software running all the time. Only HWInfo is installed.

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Yea I don't monitor normally either.Just to test stuff.
    Wierd because just having msiafterburner installed shouldn't be an issue if its not in use.

9. Whatsmyename

Whatsmyename Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Did you ever find a fix?

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    No.

11. Goosfraba

Goosfraba New Member

GPU:
    5600XT
    Hi all, not that this is going to be a universal fix, but, in my case to get rid of the microstuttering and lack of smoothness at the same time i did this.

I am @280hz so these values may need a bit of adjust.

Set RTSS to a maximum framerate of 170 (game engine gets crazy above this framerate) and then change it to the equivalent in frametime.
    Disable Gsync.
    Do not use more than 4GB of VRAM for textures, i´m using a 3080.
    Undervolt your GPU to stabilize clocks, i am @1965MHZ 0.950V +500 on mem.

Best wishes for everyone, sorry if i make a language mistake, i am from Argentina.

12. zeewor

zeewor Guest

GPU:
    Strix 1080ti
    Hi, I play this game aswell!

First of all Im on 7700k 4.9ghz, 1080ti @ 1999mhz. I use 240hz monitor at 240hz.

Been playing since season one, competitive level too - you might have seen me in the EU finals of the qualifiers whoo knows!

Dare I say I have been putting my mind into this games issues, for smoothness and visibility. Rivatuner is not allowed in competitive, but is by far the smoothest experience - but you have to limit to 144fps, not higher! I could not care less if your favourite youtuber or twitch player says otherwise. The developers have admitted the fact that your OPPONENTS may stutter above 190fps because netcode breaks above 190fps, but they never said your frametime stability improves below 144fps - although its disclaimed ingame that anything above 90 FOV and 144 FPS may cause issues with the game.

Download the game via Steam!
    Use <144fps rivatuner lock
    Use <90fov if you can
    1600dpi on your mouse(yes i said 1600!!!!), 1000hz polling rate and lower sensitivity in game&windows to fit your needs
    Im using 2-3GB VRAM for textures, everything on Low except Models:Medium. In NVIDIA ControlPanel you clamp the negative LOD bias to improve visibility on distance ingame, use 16xAF - no lowlatency mode in controlpanel.
    Latest drivers (they dont make any difference), im currently using GPU Scheduling in windows and Game Mode ON. Barely worth mentioning, it makes no difference.

This game may work better with 100ms than 50ms to your server. Sometimes the opposite is true. Depends on the hardware, who is playing on your server, if they cheat, are on console, using poor wifi etc may also play a role. The anticheat will also engage during your gameplay, especially when you get reported. It may scan your memory during random times causing hiccups.

Simple things like turning off discord improves gameplay with my CPU. I can just imagine what sort of impact running MSI Afterburner etc would add on top of it :)

Hope this helps you in any way. But you can not stop the servers from deviating the timing of the network packets to fit the "median" of all players' ping on the server (up to 250ms deviation is allowed in the engine, making 250ms ping the most optimal for being aggressive player). Their shots will be shown on your screen up to 250ms AFTER they were fired on their end. Thats 1/4 of a magazine fired at you before you start moving into cover - you can test this by having two computers next to each other on LAN playing on firing range!

---edit--- One more thing, google how to manually update the anticheat if you never tried it. Clean install of game will fix it too, but you can delete the anticheat files and re-validate gamefiles to get the latest version downloaded!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition

Started to play vermintide 2 recently and turns out I'm see the same'ish pattern frametime spike in vermintide 2 too with the same rate of it happening (once in a while)

14. NumbaN9ne

NumbaN9ne Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hi, 3080 user here, with the same problem, except in different games (i play mainly BO:CW, WZ, Metro Exodus EE). Similar random stutters, the same patterns everytime when it happens. I managed to fix this for a while with the Studio Drivers, maybe you should check it out?

15. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    You probably have unrelated stutters.Check what I said before you posted.It's probably Easy anti cheat since I don't get it in WOW/warhammer totalwar 2.

16. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    i've been playing apex legends since the first day with different gpus, starting with gtx 1070 ti, rtx 2080 super and then rtx 3080, also with ryzen 2600x, 3700x and now 5900x, and never encountered any stuttering

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I've been fighting with stuttering in some games for quite a while now probably over a year. I believe I might have finally solved it after a few tweaks I found from a few different forums. I forgot to take a before shots from LatencyMon but previously on an idle system nvlddmkm.sys was showing highest execution time of about ~3400 microseconds. Which is very high for a completely idle system. Now after all the changes I did below ran LatencyMon for over 45mins, highest DPC execution for nvlddmkm.sys was 361.768 microseconds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought about trying to roll everything back to how it was before for additional screenshots from LatencyMon. But part of these tweaks was restoring all of the Win10 default power profiles, which honestly who knows what had been junked up in those power profiles. The power profiles contain a TON of hidden settings. It has been over the ~2yrs since I last did a fresh Win10 install, so who knows what cobwebs were lurking.

Grab the following 2 utilities, you'll need them in a sec:
    QuickCPU: https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu
    MSI_util_v3.exe utility from this post: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...ge-signaled-based-interrupts-msi-tool.378044/

Run the following two commands at an Administrator Command-Prompt:
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

These two commands will restore the default Windows 10 power plans: Balanced, Power Saver & High Performance. As well as enable the hidden Ultimate Performance plan if it's supported by your version of Win10 & hardware. After that's completed switch to the Ultimate Performance or High Performance plan.

Next run the MSI_util_v3.exe as an Administrator. Set your video card and audio drivers as High Interrupt Priority, mine were set to Undefined. Note my NVMe driver was already High Priority before I ran the tool. This tool can also switch your GPU driver to "MSI Mode" which is recommended if your driver is using a regular IRQ interrupt currently. Reboot your system after you make this change. If you install new drivers or reinstall drivers you'll need to repeat this again as the setting does not save when you install a new driver.

[​IMG]

Now the QuickCPU portion below I only have details for Intel CPUs. It also only applies if your using Intel Speed Shift for dynamic CPU clock. If you have Speed Shift disabled, you can pretty much ignore anything below and just stick that that Ultimate Performance plan. Also not sure what this app can do with an AMD CPU. I don't have an AMD system to test and the application hides all the AMD specific settings if your using an Intel system. So anyone with an AMD build might just need to experiment with things yourself.

Open QuickCPU and click the Advanced CPU Settings button in the main window, then Speed Shift button on the new window that opens. Adjust the Maximum & Minimum ratios allowed and set Desired Performance to Autonomous. Then adjust the bottom slider to at least 85% or higher, I prefer 90% personally. Basically the higher you have that slider the more likely the CPU is to stick to higher CPU multipliers when it gets even light CPU loads. After you apply those Speed Shift settings, click Create Profile. Click the toggle to set that profile to load on App Startup, you'll also need to set QuickCPU to startup when Windows loads if you want those Speed Shift settings to stick. Windows 10 will go back the "default" Speed Step settings otherwise. Close the Advanced Processor settings and then click Apply on the main QuickCPU window. It will create a new power plan called QuickCPUScheme, which is also shown in the Windows Power Plans window.

[​IMG]

Sorry this post was a big longer than I thought it would be. But after making this tweak played a ton of Destiny 2 & some RDR2. Didn't see stuttering in either game and played for at least 3-4 hours.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  18. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Issue persists on fresh install of w10.Going back to 457.51 seems to stop the latencymon spikes but still doesn't stop the specific stutter in this game.I also have speedshift disabled.
    Also I'm already using high performance power plan.
    Also currently on 466.11 and theres dpc latency spikes of 1.2k by the nvidia driver that happens randomly.Agaun,457.51 doesn't have this.

Also aren't 3080s already set in msi mode?
    Thanks anyway.

NGL I think you don't percieve the issue not that it's not there.Play with a frametime graph up.Play atleast for 20-30 mins and tell me you don't get something similar to this once/twice or in your whole playtrough.
    As for me I started to get this specific spike once I updated to a 3080.My old 1080ti didn't have it from what I can tell and I only seem to notice the specific pattern spike on Vermintide 2 too which is another Easy anticheat game and not my other games.I've also gotten responses from ppl noticing the same pattern spike.Could be something recent.

We also have similar rigs except you use an amd cpu /motherboard while I use a 9900k/rog maximus XI hero/970 evo SSD/rmx 750 PSU/16gb ddr4 3200mhz[​IMG]

I'm gonna see if I can get a different 3080 from someone else and see if I see the same issues.If I do then it means something else is up and I'm gonna have to scrap my whole pc.

[​IMG]

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well it's worth trying the Ultra Performance power plan even if you have Speed Shift disabled. QuickCPU shows there are a bunch of hidden settings in the power plans that get changed compared to just the High Performance plan. The other thing is setting the Interrupt Priority to High as it defaults to Undefined for a fresh driver install. This would give your GPU driver priority if the CPU receives two interrupts at the same time. And yes 30 series cards are supposed to run in MSI mode by default, but they still support the legacy IRQ mode. But it's not 100% consistent as I have had twice now after a driver install my GPU was in the old legacy IRQ mode. Not sure if it was a bug with the particular driver or just a weird fluke.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you it's honestly probably specific to those games your playing. The games you've shown issues with big latency spikes I don't play or own. Short of doing doing a full trace with Nvidia's Nsight developer tools to capture a frame time spike: https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-systems

That tool breaks down what is happening for each frame rendered. So you can basically zoom into the problem 1 or 2 frame spike that are taking much longer to see what could be happening. I've used it twice before on games that had some random stuttering and as far as I could really see with that tool it seemed to be CPU bottleneck even for my 9900K. At least what I saw was on those stutter frames that showed ~40ms frametimes, my CPU was sitting at 99-100% usage on all 16-threads for about 30-35ms. MSI Afterburner with it's 1000ms polling frequency wouldn't pickup a very short spike in CPU usage like that. And Afterburner is not designed to do 1ms polling to try to capture something like that.

Destiny 2 is the main game I play at the moment and Afterburner just flat-out doesn't work with it. I think they block it from displaying the OSD and also from getting frame time stats? But anyway I don't notice any specific stutters like that where the FPS dips substantially.

20. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Not possible to trace this specific spike in Apex/vermintide happens randomly.Could happen in 5 mins or in 15-30.Traces can only be used for like 30-60 seconds or else you end up with a file size waaay to big.

Also I did send a gpu trace twice of random minor frametime spikes in games (15ms-30ms) and nvidia legit said nothing about them.

The specific frametime spike shown in the picture in apex/(also happens in vermintide)remains on 1440p but the minor frametime spikes get reduced drastically/go away if I lower res to 1080p.Games in general have much smoother frametime if I play on 1080p then 1440p which makes no sense as I have a 3080.

Think I might just save up money and get a better cpu.Maybe an extra 2 cores/2 HT will make the difference.Also get a 1tb SSD/850W PSU and 32gb ram while im at it because if it's not the gpu thats the issue then its something else in the system.