3080 Ti Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Witcher29, Jun 2, 2021.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Can I undervolt with riva? I just downloaded that suite a few days ago to monitor temps while in game as well as watt usage. I was blown away to see 350 watts being used in halo. Insane. I also went from always leaving my pc on to letting it go to sleep at night. Even when not under load, I gotta find ways to make up for the usage on my electric bill.

Edit
    MSI afterburner* - I'll learn how to do it through this. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    The1 and Apparatus like this.
  2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    i heard they run kinda hot but close to 80 in a good ventelated case tells me something is stopping the cooling from working right.
    last question, what is your room temp?

SerotoNiN likes this.
  3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Usually keep the house between 68-71F

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    same so definitely something isn't quite where it should be. undervolting should be your last ditch effort imo, it may save you a little bit of electricity but not much.

SerotoNiN likes this.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I'm afraid that card runs hot, it seems to have a bad design. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3080-ti-owners-thread.438203/page-2#post-5925666

77C is OK, not ideal. Do check your hotspot and VRAM temps.

Undervolting is not a must for Ampere. Good airflow in the case and a good cooler on the GPU is required to use 350W+ and not be too loud.

My 3080TI Vision OC is overclocked +105/+300 and GPU temp is < 70C, hotspot ~ 75C and VRAM temp < 90C

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  7. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC

OnnA likes this.
  8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    ^^ BTW UV is good for any GPU :cool:

eGGroLLiO and Apparatus like this.
  9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Ugh lol. Thanks for the link. Will check ram.

10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Agree, after reading up, undervolting is something I'd like to do as a last effort thing.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Didn't get as much time to test last night as I wanted. But I ran through Bright Memory Infinite and Shadow of Tomb Raider. Bright Memory didn't go above 59c, Shadow 71c. So Halo seems to be the extreme so far with 77c. I took off the gpu brace that msi included and replaced it with the pole bracket I ordered (came in last night, great timing). Didn't make a difference for temps but made a big difference for the slight gpu sag. The msi bracket wasn't even holding the gpu up, it sat underneath it barely touching. So I'm happy with that.

I also searched google more and saw quite a few users of this card hit 83c regularly which makes me somewhat impressed with the 77c max I've hit so far letting me know my case is probably as good as it can get as far as air flow. I'm not content with the 77c or happy with it in general. But I no longer think my case is the issue. As I said before, just built so no dust build up, great wire management. Liquid cpu cooler with radiator at top of case. 3 120mm fans blowing in from front.

I ordered two different pci gpu coolers last night. Reviews for both were solid. Claimed about 5-10c cooler full load with them. If I can even get that 5c I'll feel much better. One seemed slightly better than the other. But one also seemed to be a bit longer than I want with the new gpu bracket...not sure it will fit so to be safe, bought two different ones. The funny thing is if the 4000 series comes out later this year and is actually available to buy at retail I'll more than likely upgrade making all of this useless. But who knows. With my first child on the way I'm preparing to not have the extra funds I do now or free time. So on the other hand I might end up with this card for quite a while.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I didn't have the time to try undervolting last night, started watching a video on it. I'd like to try everything else before doing that. Seems like a last resort. If anyone has any other suggestions for cooling now that it seems to just be a hot card I'm open. Ghetto mods welcome at this point lol. Anything I can do on air to cool it off.

12. southamptonfc

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    If I were to play Crash Bandicoot my GPU would also use ~80W because I have vsync enabled.

13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I have vsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel so it's set in all games. I only turn it off when I do benchmarks.

14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I set all settings exactly as this including resolution. After all the heat issues have to say I was happy to get 103fps. Why the difference, cpu?

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Yup, 5Ghz is doing it's job :)
    Mine was set at ~4.25GHz IIRC.

SerotoNiN likes this.

16. southamptonfc

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I would probably consider replacing the thermal paste and pads. Consider... Not sure if I'd have the guts to do it, that would depend on whether the card was throttling due to temps I guess.

17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I don't have the guts to do that lol! Never done it before. Maybe could use old 2080 as guinea pig but was hoping to sell it. It's not throttling. Afterburner is set for it to throttle at 83c, without afterburner Nvidia has it to throttle at 93 or 95c. So I haven't had any throttle. I just want to preserve the card and keep it as cool as I can.

18. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Ok seems I have to set Zero Frozr to off and will get better cooling. This needs to be done in MSI Center. Just want to document my stuff in case anyone finds this with the same issue. I found the msi forum. Should have done that to start but I'm so used to Guru I don't think of anywhere else. @Hilbert Hagedoorn has my loyalty and I didn't even realize it until now (msi forum felt dirty).

I'll follow up with results. But their forum has users with the same card and same issue. So as suggested above with the link. This card runs hot.

19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    I also have vsync globally enabled.
    But only for activating g-sync.
    I have a 144Hz monitor and I cap my framerate at 140fps.
    So I guess each one with it's needs.
    Once I took the undervolting route I never looked back.
    If I would somehow miss the option to make it I would be an unsatisfied user of a great gpu.
    More than essential for me.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  20. southamptonfc

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    I suspect that in games which don't stress the GPU, your undervolting does nothing at all then. If you have vsync or a framerate cap then the GPU will downclock itself once it hits the framerate limit, at the same time reducing the vcore. That’s how boost 3.0 works.

PS, an overclock is a global ‘undervolt’. My card is overclocked by +105mhz. So for every voltage bin on the curve, my card runs 105mhz faster than Nvidia programmed. Put another way, for every clock frequency bin on the curve, my card runs at a voltage/power lower than Nvidia set.

So I suspect that my card with it’s overclock config will actually consume less power in Crash Bandicoot than whatever you have set.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022