306.02-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by hanschke, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Varna

Varna Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    Damn. Step it up Nvidia.

On occasion, I do see SLI spike to higher then 50/50 but only for a few brief moments.

(this is on a 690GTX)

Did some brief testing with FRAPS benchmark. 69 FPS average single GPU, 63 with SLI... so it actually might be worse then just running a single card.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    As we acknowledge on the site (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-306-02-beta-drivers-released/), negative SLI scaling may occur on Kepler cards because GW2 is heavily CPU-bound. Our driver team will continue to work with ArenaNet to develop performance improvements, but our options at present are limited because of that CPU limitation.

Based on my own tests, regardless of which GPU you own, the best advice I can give is to OC your CPU and watch as the FPS increases dramatically. If you're running 2 or more Keplers I would do the OC, then test your frame rate to see if SLI is beneficial.

3. Varna

Varna Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    My CPU is running at 4.7GHZ... don't think I could safely do anymore. This certainly sucks.

4. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Wow how much CPU depended is it exactly?

I have my i52500k overclocked to 4.5ghz and I still get framerates all over the place with GPU usage jumping from 30-80%.

Framerates go from 20-60 and it's so frustrating...

How can a DX11 based MMO like the secret world that uses every bell and whistle imaginable run at 60 frames solid and this game can't. What a big screw up by Arena Net. An i5 2500k especially one overclocked to 4.5ghz should be more than enough to run that game smoothly.

I am so disappointed =( Think I'm done with the game. I am sick and tired of companies that don't optimize their games properly. We don't spend $500 on a GPU, $300 on a CPU, etc. to run an ancient looking DX9 based game at such low and uneven framerates. Shame on them.

It does I regret this purchase so much. Shame on Arena Net. And people complained that the SWTOR engine was bad. This is 10x worse. I could've used that $60 on another game.

5. Varna

Varna Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    It is very disappointing. It's still a fantastic game and I don't intend to give up on it. It's a great game and hopefully this gets resolved soon.

SWTOR was way worse though. Truly a POS engine.

6. Hu1kamania

Hu1kamania Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256
    I have found that by turning reflections from ALL to Terrain and Sky, and Shadows to High from Ultra, I get much more consistent and smooth fps. The reflections thing has been there since BWE2. Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread by AndyB, disable Ambient Occlusion in the driver.

7. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    Does the new driver affects "A New Dawn Nvidia demo" on Asus GTX 560 DirectCUII? Because i've Driver v305.67......

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So where are these certified drivers for all cards that were supposed to be coming very "soon" about two weeks ago? NVIDIA seem to have a very strange definition of "soon" if you ask me...

9. Iruwen

Iruwen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    There probably won't be many changes in the WHQLs anyway, but what's your definition of soon? Tomorrow? 306.02. works fine for me, if there's nothing dramatic in the WHQLs I won't be switching anway.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    "Soon" to me means within a few days and at most a week. Certainly not two months if you go by NVIDIA's forum notice about them being back up "soon"... posted on 24th July 2012, almost seven weeks ago!!!

11. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    My guess would be they don't expect all of their customers to have high end GPUs, so by offloading maybe too much onto the CPU they are able to give more people the "experience".

If a game that came out ran only on Nvidia Geforce 500 series and above you limit your audience immensely... now if we can drop the GPU requirements and have the game offload some to a dual or quad core CPU you can now sell your game to many more people. Unfortunately, for those of us with higher end GPUs we see lower GPU usage and tanked fps. But someone with a laptop using a quad core CPU and intel HD3000 might be able to still play the game.

Its obviously not optimal to anything but their bottom line - now the game can sell to more people since more people are able to run it. Also keep in mind consoles have multi-threaded CPUs and crap GPUs so I think this mentality has gotten a bit too embedded as acceptable.

12. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Still getting extremely low utilization in wvwvw in gw2 on this driver. Whenever there are more than 20 or so player meshes on the screen, the usage drops to 20% and the clockspeed falls to stock clocks killing performance entirely.

This same issue happened in other dx9 mmo's like Tera that utilize the umbra middleware.

Please, please fix this!

I don't care if the gpu boost folks say there is no need for higher clocks at low utilization, it still grants a fps loss when my clocks drop from 1300mhz to 1006 in the middle of combat.

Yes, there is a cpu bottleneck in umbra, but the design of gpu boost kills even more fps by dropping the clocks when under low utilization conditions.

At 4.8ghz on a 2500k, I still get 20-30 fps with many players on screen at max settings. The low fps always occurs when the kepler clocks drop to stock and it only remedied with higher utilization.

Not giving end users the option of static clocks was not well thought out imo.

13. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    That's good detailed info. Can you send it direct to the driver team via http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6 please?

14. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Sure, I added this:

The worst part about this umbra cpu bottleneck and gpu boost interaction is that on my 580gtx where I can force a static ROP domain clock, I get 10-15 more fps in the same situations where my 680gtx drops to low power 3d or 2d clocks during instances of low utilization.

Sorry for being a bit upset and I understand this is a hard problem to get fixed because the root of the issue isn't nvidia's fault - it just creates a situation where the design of gpu boost degrades performance further.

Here is the writeup I sent: http://pastebin.com/rsV2YG1q

15. Varna

Varna Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    That's completely fine. The issue is people with equal performing (or lesser) AMD cards are getting MUCH better performance that their Nvidia equivalent.

16. Varna

Varna Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    Something a little on the odd side regarding GW2. The game does not use PhysX in any capacity right?

I was following up a suggested someone posted over at the GW2 forums about how setting PhysX to CPU only managed to help his frame-rate quiet a bit for some reason. I meant to try just for the hell of it, not really expecting anything to come of it. Anyhow, I messed up and accidentally set GPU 2 to handle the PhysX load. Now my GPU usage looks all crazy. 50/80%. Why would this happen without any actual PhysX effects going on?

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    GW2 is using Havok Physics, which is being calculated off the CPU. It wont matter what you switch Physx to in NVCP. So idk what that person is talking about.

18. Fiatsu

Fiatsu Member

GPU:
    GTX 590
    Sorry for my previous posts,
    The power supply seems to have been the problem all along, installing the new driver must of been the last straw to break the camels back.

The driver is working fine 48hours and counting.

Me being an Amateur with computers i never ever considered the power supply while upgrading my PC so yeah.

Ty for helping a poor noob i'll be sure to pass it on.

19. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Glad it's working fine.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Bro if you'd read my post you see I made a typo. I didn't mean CPU I meant PSU. It's all good though.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4400804&postcount=375

It was an honest mistake of wording. Trust me I know the cpu is good enough, I didn't mean CPU...rofl...